Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Ever Dublin Club

• 10-07-2006 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

As the title says vote for your favourite Dublin club of all time,ive been to them all but for me it's a close call between Sides and The Ormond Multimedia Centre but Sides gets the vote,quite simply i doubt we'll ever see a club like Sides in Ireland again,legendary,anyway here are the options ....(ive left out clubs like Spirit,etc as they are not worthy of inclusion)

Best Ever Dublin Club? 30 votes

Sides
    0%
    Ormond Multimedia Centre
    23%
    c_o_ck p_i_ss chillagederek23jonny68BCBMrOSoulRockger conway 7 votes
    The Waterfront/Columbia Mills
    13%
    joker77manufansturgoharryballs 4 votes
    The Asylum
    3%
    Hawk Wing 1 vote
    Olympic Ballroom
    16%
    bohsboySandy2004tdvIceBoxDUB1 5 votes
    Temple Of Sound
    0%
    The Kitchen
    13%
    LennyScubadevilsremedy dublinvandermeyde 4 votes
    The System
    26%
    KolodnySouperComputer[Deleted User]Jivin TurkeyKevIRLREDZdrunkenfoolpunkboy 8 votes
    Shaft
    3%
    red dave 1 vote
    Red Box
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭DUB1

Olympic Ballroom
    yea sides was gr8 but no were near as gud as da asylum open all nite best music
    played by all of da best djs da nite carl cox played da ppl there were there 4 da underground music policy da place is legendary even carl cox can rember playing there & even 2day nearly 12 yrs 2 da day since it closed theres still asylum reuion nites & u dont get dat 4 many clubs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

The System
    voted for the kitchen. Not neccacarily because it was good, but because that's were I met Mrs. SouperComputer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Ormond Multimedia Centre
    DUB1 wrote:
    yea sides was gr8 but no were near as gud as da asylum open all nite best music
    played by all of da best djs da nite carl cox played da ppl there were there 4 da underground music policy da place is legendary even carl cox can rember playing there & even 2day nearly 12 yrs 2 da day since it closed theres still asylum reuion nites & u dont get dat 4 many clubs :D

Sides used to actually open until 7am as well for a while in case you were not aware..the Asylum was a deadly club but too many nutters there for my liking..;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The Kitchen
    Temple of Sound gets my vote as it had a great atmosphere and top djs nearly every week. Billy Nasty, Justin Robertson, Dave Clarke, Warren K, Richie Hawtin, Fabio Paras, Andy Weatherall, David Holmes etc etc. Top club. Girls handing out fruit on trays :)

UFO would be 2nd place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭manufan

I would say the Ormond was my FAV. Also had a few good nights at the SFX on sherrard Street but never got to go to sides/asylum or G1. Damn, i was only 15/16 when those clubs were around.

I think the Temple Theatre deserves a mention. It had its good nights when it first opened but then it was closed down for a while, re-opened but never had the same vibe after that IMO.

Also, i had a few great nights at The Mansion House when i was a youngster and couldn't get into the over 18's clubs.

Oh, nearly forgot The Tivoli. Some quality nights in that place. Nice Club.

Actually, i would say the Harp on a friday night was up there with the best nights i've ever had. People screaming out Mick Walshes name when he got on the decks from 1.00 am to 2.30 am. Those DJ Pressure/Mick Walshe nights were quality for atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

The Ormonde was great. Multimedia my arse! What a filthy dump! I remember being there at some MTV party around '96. I was on TV out of my box.

Ormond Multimedia Centre
    sturgo wrote:
    The Ormonde was great. Multimedia my arse! What a filthy dump! I remember being there at some MTV party around '96. I was on TV out of my box.

Ha Ha i dont fuc*ing believe it were you at that :D:D:D jaysus what a mad one that was,this is some story,it was MTV Dance and they were looking for dancers so we went for auditions :o and got picked to dance me and 3 birds :cool: anyway we had to be in the club by 7pm as it was being filmed early and afterwards the normal Ormond clubnite was on,i was dressed up to the nines and tolld my family and mates id be on MTV.

Anyway there we were bopping away i swore i wasnt gonna do any yokes and was just gargling away,anyway this mot was selling yokes and said to me if i knew anyone who wanted them she would look after me,anyway load of people i know were coming up to me asking me if i knew anyone who had any (why they were coming up to me ill never know;) :D ) i was sending them in the direction of her,she sold loads and came over every few minutes and gave me one,i said ah fu*k it and started dropping them like sweets:o :D and giving them out to the birds i was with,your woman sold about 200+ in about an hour and gave me about 12 or more for putting people her way,by this time i was having a deadly time and and didnt realise how mad out of it i actually was,by the time it ended id taken 7 or more :eek: with my top off giving it loads.

Fast forward the next week i went to a party a big cheer went up as i walked into the room,i didnt know what the craic was until the lads showed me on TV (they had taped it) in the Ormond,top off gurning like a nutter,eyes like saucers completly off my rocker,i looked like something from a horror film,thank the lucky stars none of my family got to see it they would've disowned me,i told them i didn't manage to get on TV so they never watched it in the end but i got some stick from the lads for a long time after..madness :D:D

But yeah the Ormonde was an amazing club,a filthy dump indeed but the atmosphere was nearly always top class,the last ever nite there has to rank as one of the best nites in Dublin in recent times same as the Carl Cox nite

Ormond Multimedia Centre
    manufan wrote:
    I would say the Ormond was my FAV. Also had a few good nights at the SFX on sherrard Street but never got to go to sides/asylum or G1. Damn, i was only 15/16 when those clubs were around.

I think the Temple Theatre deserves a mention. It had its good nights when it first opened but then it was closed down for a while, re-opened but never had the same vibe after that IMO.

Also, i had a few great nights at The Mansion House when i was a youngster and couldn't get into the over 18's clubs.

Oh, nearly forgot The Tivoli. Some quality nights in that place. Nice Club.

Temple Theatre probably does but it only gives 10 options so they are the ones i choose..had some good nites @ the tivoli myself too,SFX as well not bad some decent nites there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

i can't vote. you didnt put in the temple theatre

Ormond Multimedia Centre
    T&#225 wrote: »
    i can't vote. you didnt put in the temple theatre

wasnt really worthy of inclusion in that top 10 i did put IMO, despite me having some top nites there i feel the clubs i did post were better.;)

Im actually shocked the Waterfront and esp the Olympic Ballroom havent gotten any votes yet.

• Advertisement

so you put a poll up for people to vote on the best of the top ten clubs you've been in???

well imo, the best two clubs i've been in were the tivoli and the the temple theatre by a country mile.

i've also had some good mornings in the white horse. but thats hit n'miss these days

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The Kitchen
    jonny68 wrote:
    Im actually shocked the Waterfront and esp the Olympic Ballroom havent gotten any votes yet.

The Waterfront was an excellent place but as you can only have one vote I had to go for the Temple of Sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

The System
    Well some of these are 'before my time' and I don't mean because I'm too young, I mean because I've only been in Dublin 12 years! I'm going to vote for The Kitchen purely because I worked there for 5 years and used to go there regularly on my nights off too, which speaks for itself really :)

Also had a few crazy nights in the Temple of Sound (and worked there as well for about 6 months - quit as I couldn't handle the vomit-inducing clean up at the end of every Friday and Saturday night anymore) but my fondest memories are of The Kitchen.

Ormond Multimedia Centre
    so you put a poll up for people to vote on the best of the top ten clubs you've been in???

well imo, the best two clubs i've been in were the tivoli and the the temple theatre by a country mile.

i've also had some good mornings in the white horse. but thats hit n'miss these days

Well considering i posted the poll yes,plus the clubs ive posted had/have been around the longest,i had to omit other clubs that deserved a mention like the Funnel as well,a great litlte club in its day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You put in the Red Box but not the Tivoli or Switch? Good man :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭BACKLASH

i've only been to two clubs on the list,
    Shame!

jonny68 wrote:
    Ha Ha i dont fuc*ing believe it were you at that :D:D:D jaysus what a mad one that was,this is some story,it was MTV Dance and they were looking for dancers so we went for auditions :o and got picked to dance me and 3 birds :cool: anyway we had to be in the club by 7pm as it was being filmed early and afterwards the normal Ormond clubnite was on,i was dressed up to the nines and tolld my family and mates id be on MTV.

Anyway there we were bopping away i swore i wasnt gonna do any yokes and was just gargling away,anyway this mot was selling yokes and said to me if i knew anyone who wanted them she would look after me,anyway load of people i know were coming up to me asking me if i knew anyone who had any (why they were coming up to me ill never know;) :D ) i was sending them in the direction of her,she sold loads and came over every few minutes and gave me one,i said ah fu*k it and started dropping them like sweets:o :D and giving them out to the birds i was with,your woman sold about 200+ in about an hour and gave me about 12 or more for putting people her way,by this time i was having a deadly time and and didnt realise how mad out of it i actually was,by the time it ended id taken 7 or more :eek: with my top off giving it loads.

Fast forward the next week i went to a party a big cheer went up as i walked into the room,i didnt know what the craic was until the lads showed me on TV (they had taped it) in the Ormond,top off gurning like a nutter,eyes like saucers completly off my rocker,i looked like something from a horror film,thank the lucky stars none of my family got to see it they would've disowned me,i told them i didn't manage to get on TV so they never watched it in the end but i got some stick from the lads for a long time after..madness :D:D

But yeah the Ormonde was an amazing club,a filthy dump indeed but the atmosphere was nearly always top class,the last ever nite there has to rank as one of the best nites in Dublin in recent times same as the Carl Cox nite

That's funny man. I remember being flat broke that nite and downing a naggin of vodka in the que. And somehow... blagging my way into the vip room to where there was an endless supply of booze. For weeks after people were telling me they saw me on MTV out of my box. Ahh the memories... (or the lack of them...)

Ormond Multimedia Centre
    Sico wrote:
    You put in the Red Box but not the Tivoli or Switch? Good man :rolleyes:

Because the Red Box has been going longer than these clubs that's why :rolleyes: i cant believe the Red Box is currently winning though :eek:

to be honest for the clubbers who wouldn't be (cough) as old as you (sorry) the redbox is the only one they can choose from.

maybe you should change the title to the best old skool nite club back in the day!

maybe a new poll for todays and yesterdays clubs

traffic
    spirit
    temple theatre
    (1) the crypt
    redbox
    switch
    mono
    tbmc
    the tivoli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Voting for the redbox as its the only one Ive been to out of that list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭manufan

I think we really were spoilt in the 90's when it came to dance venues. The likes of Spirit and Traffic shouldn't even get a mention. They are not fit to be named in the same thread. Nice clubs, well layed out but don't come close for atmosphere compared to the likes of The Ormond, Temple of Sound etc.

I was at the vaults on Saturday night and the atmosphere in the oldskool room was great and reminded me of the older clubs. Everyone was just up for the music. You don't get the same atmosphere in the likes of Spirit. Theres just a different vibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭DUB1

Olympic Ballroom
    manufan wrote:
    I think we really were spoilt in the 90's when it came to dance venues. The likes of Spirit and Traffic shouldn't even get a mention. They are not fit to be named in the same thread. Nice clubs, well layed out but don't come close for atmosphere compared to the likes of The Ormond, Temple of Sound etc.

I was at the vaults on Saturday night and the atmosphere in the oldskool room was great and reminded me of the older clubs. Everyone was just up for the music. You don't get the same atmosphere in the likes of Spirit. Theres just a different vibe.

well said m8 spot on sat nite was gr8 & tis wkend were spoilt 4 choise dj pressure in da vaults fri nite,mick walsh in slatterys fri nite & warren k in da belvedere sat nite & i think it shows wat all da new clubs & music is just not as gud wit such demand 4 da old skool & all new dance music fans shud giv da old sounds a go :D

i do agree but to be honest i was trying to maximise the list.

out of the clubs i've ever been to, in dublin, the best atmosphere would have to be the temple in the early days. the TBMC, tivoli and redbox all deserve mentions though.

Ormond Multimedia Centre
    manufan wrote:

100% spot on there,i was a regular almost all of the clubs i posted except Shaft,Olympic Ballroom and The Asylum although i have been in those clubs loads of times but spoilt for chopice indeed,id go to The Temple Of Sound on a Thursday,Sides on a Friday and The Multimedia on a Saturday and change the following week do System on Thursdays,Waterfront on Fridays, and the Kitchen on Saturdays :D nowadays it's brutal,Dublin seriously needs some new clubs with proper vibes :confused:

Ormond Multimedia Centre
    to be honest for the clubbers who wouldn't be (cough) as old as you (sorry) the redbox is the only one they can choose from.

maybe you should change the title to the best old skool nite club back in the day!

maybe a new poll for todays and yesterdays clubs

traffic
    spirit
    temple theatre
    (1) the crypt
    redbox
    switch
    mono
    tbmc
    the tivoli

cheeky basta*d :D only messing your probably right most on here probably arent as old as me :o maybe another poll might be an idea...

To be honest i havent been to a proper club in well over a year. It's over for me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

needs more switch....

can't believe there's an option to vote for the kitchen, and not for switch....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

What about the runner bean on Nassau St. or was that a dream I had back in 93??

Ormond Multimedia Centre
    needs more switch....

can't believe there's an option to vote for the kitchen, and not for switch....
    No comparision in the two the Kitchen pi**es all over switch,ive been to both clubs many times and the Kitchen wins hands down every time,some fantastic DJ's have graced the decks of the Kitchen over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Sandy2004

Olympic Ballroom
    NO. 1 = Asylum

Been to all the others mentioned, but for me ... my heart lies with me 'ol haunt!

Olympic was class 2.. Temple of Sound and Waterfront were good (Francois a bit heavy sometimes) - as well as G1's (both of them) - system etc.

Whats are the best nights - you all had?

Best nights for me were Carl Cox in Waterford, Hacienda in Manchester, Carl Cox in Asylum, Prodigy in Asylum, fck it - every night in Asylum..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

The Asylum
    Personally I had some great nights in ufo/alien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭oldstock

oldstock:D

jonny68 wrote:
    Sides used to actually open until 7am as well for a while in case you were not aware..the Asylum was a deadly club but too many nutters there for my liking..;)
    sides never opened till seven mate.. the back doors into the lane used to open at 3 and it was game over hence we would go down the asylum.. it would be about 7 before you got your jacket though because the cloakroom staff would be so mashed..

Sandy2004 wrote:
    NO. 1 = Asylum

Been to all the others mentioned, but for me ... my heart lies with me 'ol haunt!

Olympic was class 2.. Temple of Sound and Waterfront were good (Francois a bit heavy sometimes) - as well as G1's (both of them) - system etc.

Whats are the best nights - you all had?

Best nights for me were Carl Cox in Waterford, Hacienda in Manchester, Carl Cox in Asylum, Prodigy in Asylum, fck it - every night in Asylum..........
    does anyone remember chris eubanks being in the asylum.. theres a flash back and its true!

Ormond Multimedia Centre
    oldstock wrote:
    does anyone remember chris eubanks being in the asylum.. theres a flash back and its true!

chris eubank the boxer i find that hard to believe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

my best club in dublin has to be redbox had some great nights up there from dave clarke to sasha to emerson and digweed and a special mention for danny howells great set the only thing i regret is been to young for sides asylum olympic and the rest

jonny68 wrote:
    honestly mate he was there ask any of the djs playing that night ed-case, pressure thyme.. he was even quoted saying to eamon o sullivan you picked the right name for this place.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 khiggs2k8

jonny68 wrote: »
    He was in there d nite Carl Cox played I was ther d robot was fkn class.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 consume

Cant vote never been to any of these clubs sadly i was too young. Starting second year college and in the last year i was fairly disappointed by the club scene in Dublin im wondering is there anywhere round these days that matches the early 90s days of clubbing in Dublin? suppose the draconian closing times fairly limit the whole experience. Basically where would ye lads recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

consume wrote: »
    Cant vote never been to any of these clubs sadly i was too young. Starting second year college and in the last year i was fairly disappointed by the club scene in Dublin im wondering is there anywhere round these days that matches the early 90s days of clubbing in Dublin? suppose the draconian closing times fairly limit the whole experience. Basically where would ye lads recommend?
    so youve got no experience of the clubs in the past but you automatically assume there better than todays clubs.

my advice is find a club that plays the kind of music you like and youll be happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

seannash wrote: »
    so youve got no experience of the clubs in the past but you automatically assume there better than todays clubs.

my advice is find a club that plays the kind of music you like and youll be happy

Don't you know, EVERYTHING was better back in the day?

Apparently.:pac:

Advertisement