Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crazy driving

Options
  • 10-07-2006 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Was driving home from work today. Just passed the M9 turn off on the M7 between naas and newbridge.

There was a car parked in on the hard shoulder, with the front wheels turned fully to the right. As i was about to pass, he indicated to come out, i was thinking why he was going to pull out straight away into the lane and not build up speed 1st on the hard shoulder. Well anyway, he pulled out right after i passed, and did a U turn. Drove down the fast lane towards dublin. There were were cars a 100 odd metres behind me, they were flashing all over the place and swerving into the slow lane.

And just then i hear on the radio that 10 people were killed in the last 24 hours... not surprising at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wasn't Jim McDaid by any chance was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Get this into ye...

On Sunday coming back from Cork to Dublin, I was rounding the the roundabout that you join the motorway at Port Laiose on. A "lady" driver missed her (Dublin) exit from the ROUNDABOUT, stopped about 80M from the exit in the RH lane and REVERESED back. To make things worse, as you are approaching, you cant see the full way around the roundabout, so some drivers would have been in for a rather unpleasant surprise.

I mean WTF, it's a roundabout! Missed your exit? Go AROUND!

I didnt hear a thud, so I guess the car didnt get hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

colm_mcm wrote:
    Wasn't Jim McDaid by any chance was it?

LOL !!!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Get this into ye...

On Sunday coming back from Cork to Dublin, I was rounding the the roundabout that you join the motorway at Port Laiose on. A "lady" driver missed her (Dublin) exit from the ROUNDABOUT, stopped about 80M from the exit in the RH lane and REVERESED back. To make things worse, as you are approaching, you cant see the full way around the roundabout, so some drivers would have been in for a rather unpleasant surprise.

I mean WTF, it's a roundabout! Missed your exit? Go AROUND!

I didnt hear a thud, so I guess the car didnt get hit.
    Now that is incredibly stupid! Not to mention irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

About two years ago, coming out of last set of lights (gone now) at naas before the M7 began I was first in the traffic and took off fairly quick heading down the motorway. Going around the corner under the flyover beside the "golf ball" I met a blue vectra in the fast lane indicating right to get over to the hard shoulder. I swerved and missed them and stopped a bit up the road. Rang the cops straight away but couldnt catch the numberplate and nothing was done. Scared the **** out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

byte wrote:
    Now that is incredibly stupid! Not to mention irresponsible.

Clearly another case of finding their licence in a lucky bag. Personally I'm a learner driver as I'm still waiting for my test, so I suppose I cannot really comment on peoples driving. But in the last few months I have been driving, I have seen drivers get worse.
    Some people think that the indicator gives you the right of way. As a result I nicely damaged 2 expesive lights that were in the back of my van thanks to one passat driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

The other day, I was driving on a 2 lane road (quite wide), approaching a T-junction (in a town). I was in the right hand lane, as I was turning right. With that, a car pulled out from the kerb, from where he was parked (on double yellows may i add). No indicators or anything, crossed the two lanes , and forced me to cross the white line onto the other side of the road, jam on brakes and then move back to the correct side. (i was on a motorbike). He then went back into the left lane. This was all in the space of 50M. At the junction he had to stop, and he rolled down the window as I was giving him a beep. "Whats f*uckin wrong with ye?? " he says..."Ye just pulled across 2 lanes, from where u were stopped, no indicators or anything, and nearly hit me!!" says I... "well ye should have known where I was goin, where else would I have been goin" says he. "???????" says me
    When people have that sort of attitude to how to drive, you just cant win.
    Well, a bit of abuse went both ways, and when I offered to discuss this down at the local Garda station, he decided he was off, and then pulled off in front of an on comming car........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

This weekend must have had all the loonies out. I was driving southbound on the M50, around the Tallaght exit (not sure exactly which one).

Traffic was moving fairly freely and I was going along in the driving lane at 120kph. As I came around a bend I saw both lanes of traffic stopped with nothing in front of it. My first though was a checkpoint (silly, I know, but why else would everyone be stopped with no apparent reason?)

Luckily I was on the ball and came to a comfortable stop (the road was soaked) but the micra in the overtaking lane skidded to a stop very nearly causing a pile up. Then I see a black Hyundai Coupe driving horizontally across all the lanes with their hazards on in order to get off at their exit. I was flabbergasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

U would think that with all the ppl been killed and all the news reports that ppl would drive with slightly more Care and concern.
    About 2 weeks ago , I was driving in to limerck on the main road comming form the Tipperary side , just after boher there is a T Junction for Caherconlish, anyone who knows this road knows this junction. Well Im on the main road Doing the speed Limit 100kph . Just As Im comming up to this junciton , A guy pulling a trailer ignores the stop sign and pulls out in too the hard shoulder ...this was grand cause he wasnt blockin me , it was the 30 year old lady in the 206 who pulled out after him and tried to over take him,with out even lookin.All I can say is thank god I was in the GF's car , anti-lock brakes are a great invention.
    Pulled along side her after all the panic and the flashing of lights and the beeping of horns . I was raging I looked across at her and I got the finger form her passanger.If I had been in my car , It would have locked up and the guy behind me would have rearend me , and it would have been all over .F**kin hell I raging again just think about it .......SHE PULLED OUT IN TO ON COMMING TRAFFIC THAT WAS DOING 100KPH , AND TRIED TO OVER TAKE SOMEONE WHILE SHE WAS DOING 30...............i have to go lie down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

While these are all shocking stories, only one person mentioned reporting the incidents to the Gardai. Some of these drivers don't think they did anything wrong - case in point the guy The Doktor met. A visit from the Gardai might get them to think twice (like Joeface I am naive ;) ).

I was at the Garda station this morning to report a guy breaking the red lights and another guy failing to yield as I approached a side road (I was cycling on the main road). Yesterday I faxed a report into another station about a red light runner. I don't have any airbag or metal cage around me so I am quite 'sensitive' to invasions of my space.
    I do not run red lights - I've received verbal abuse from those cyclists when I've asked them not to break the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Dampsquid wrote:
    There was a car parked in on the hard shoulder, with the front wheels turned fully to the right. As i was about to pass, he indicated to come out, i was thinking why he was going to pull out straight away into the lane and not build up speed 1st on the hard shoulder. Well anyway, he pulled out right after i passed, and did a U turn. Drove down the fast lane towards dublin. There were were cars a 100 odd metres behind me, they were flashing all over the place and swerving into the slow lane.

ohh the amount of crazy driving I've seen over the years would put shivers down your spine alright..

I'm no saint by any means but jeez, pulling a manouvre like that is pure lunacy :eek: :eek: :eek:

:) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Joeface wrote:
    Ok explain why Im naive.....
    Sorry that I didn't convey the sarcasm correctly. It was not meant as an insult. I hope this is better...
    Joeface wrote:
    U would think that with all the ppl been killed and all the news reports that ppl would drive with slightly more Care and concern.
    Naive because you believe that people will change because of road deaths and news reports. You credit people with too much intelligence. I do the same.
    Selfishness and stupidity are much more powerful and prevelant than intelligence. To the logical thinker, like you and me, their behaviour defies logic.

Ok now im with with u. actually I dont even know why i asked that.

Advertisement