Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One to one grammer study

Options
  • 10-07-2006 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hello,

My German is good but I do need help with my grammer. I am attending a course at the Goethe Institute which is to be honest a rip-off. Does anybody know of anyone who does or is willing to do one to one language exchange-grammer help. They can improve their English and I will be glad to pay for their help at a rate agreed.

Thanks,

Gavin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

sorry i cant be of help, but was thinking of going to goethe, and was wondering in what sense do you mean a rip-off? dont want to be wasting my hard-earned cash! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Hi. I mean that for 6 weeks you pay 145 euros for 3 and a half hours on a Tuesday evening. There was at one stage 17 people there therefore you do not get much tutution I feel and the teacher was not in any strict or serious about it I feel. If you are starting off learning German it is a good start. However apart from this and your German is good try a one to one. I think I have found something. For a group that gets money from the German government I thought it was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

janullrich wrote:
    Hi. I mean that for 6 weeks you pay 145 euros for 3 and a half hours on a Tuesday evening. There was at one stage 17 people there therefore you do not get much tutution I feel and the teacher was not in any strict or serious about it I feel. If you are starting off learning German it is a good start. However apart from this and your German is good try a one to one. I think I have found something. For a group that gets money from the German government I thought it was poor.

Rate seems to be around € 7.00/1 Hr tuition and this is a rip-off! Why would you expect charity from a private institution, so what if they get funding from wherever, what are you doing for nothing?

IMO the G.I. is a very good organisation and the rates are comparitively low and you're also likely to get tuition from a native speaker. 1-1 will always be better, and if you're good why not go practice with the tourists and teach them all about how oyu believe Charity bgins at home?

Lass uns in Ruhe!

What a load of crap. What is so good about the Goethe Institute???? 7 euros per hour. Well divide 18 by 145 and it does not come to 7 euros per hour. You did not forget to mention that anything is worth 7 euros a hour if there is 17 people in the class and we have a good old talk about various things that don't improve the German. Do me a favour and bring me along to a class that is actuelly intenstive and is worth it. U are the person who is mentioning charity not me. I mentioned value for money. Read next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

janullrich wrote:
    What a load of crap. What is so good about the Goethe Institute???? 7 euros per hour. Well divide 18 by 145 and it does not come to 7 euros per hour. You did not forget to mention that anything is worth 7 euros a hour if there is 17 people in the class and we have a good old talk about various things that don't improve the German. Do me a favour and bring me along to a class that is actuelly intenstive and is worth it. U are the person who is mentioning charity not me. I mentioned value for money. Read next time.

Ahnungslos!

• Advertisement

Great answer Sonnenblumen. Try a bit harder to make a more concrete statement next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I have the same problem. Fluent German due to having been brought up with it, but many many years since I was there and didn't keep it up so the word endings and grammar are definately shakey. Am paying 30.00 per hour 1-to-1 tuition. Is this usual?
    PS Having learned many languages, in many places, the main difference is the TEACHER. Had a brilliant Spanish teacher in the People's College (cheap) and a woeful one in the Instituto Cervantes (expensive).

Advertisement