Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please support the petition against IRMA's new single charts

Options
  • 10-07-2006 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi guys,

If you think the way IRMA launched the new charts in Ireland is unfair to independent labels, please support the online petition to suspend the new charts, until such time independent labels in Ireland have been consulted and brought up to speed.

http://www.petitiononline.com/indies06/petition.html

here's some Background info for those who aren't familiar with what IRMA have done.

thanks

(p.s. apologies in advance to the board moderator for posting this twice)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Nothing wrong with what IRMA did tbh. Okay in four weeks time itl be a level playing field. The having a physical copy available for sale is helping to slow down the decline of cd sales, which is a good thing.

Some people will just moan about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Don Quickquote

Garret wrote:
    Nothing wrong with what IRMA did tbh. Okay in four weeks time itl be a level playing field. The having a physical copy available for sale is helping to slow down the decline of cd sales, which is a good thing.

Some people will just moan about anything.

With respect..I disagree Garrett.

And the notion that irish labels are told "ah, don't worry lads, ye will catch up soon enough!" when you consider that this is the most significant change in the irish charts since 1962, is one that I don't subscribe to.

When the changeover was made in the UK, independent labels knew 12 months in advance what was happening and when, so they had ample time to get up to speed.

Instead, IRMA suddenly unleash the new chart rules and the top 10 looks like this (I can't/shouldn't paste the full chart details because of copyright)

01. HIPS DON'T LIE - SHAKIRA FEAT. WYCLEF JEAN - 1,672 Ddownload sales (6,854 sales - all formats)

02-I WISH I WAS A PUNK ROCKER-SANDI "webcam" THOM
    03-MANEATER-NELLY FURTADO
    04-BUTTONS-PUSSYCAT DOLLS FEAT. SNOOP DOGG
    05-HIGH-SULLIVAN BROTHERS
    06-FROM PARIS TO BERLIN-INFERNAL
    07-SEXY LOVE-NE-YO
    08-HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH-LORDI
    09-WHO KNEW-PINK
    10-SMILE - LILY ALLEN

for the un-initiated, what that essentially means in Irish music terms is this:

01 - SONY BMG (British project)
    02 - SONY BMG (British project)
    03 - UNIVERSAL MUSIC (British project)
    04 - UNIVERSAL MUSIC (British project)
    05 - INDEPENDENT (Irish Project)
    06 - UNIVERSAL MUSIC (British project)
    07 - UNIVERSAL MUSIC (British project)
    08 - SONY BMG (British project)
    09 - SONY BMG (British project)
    10 - EMI MUSIC GROUP (British project)

If you think there's "Nothing wrong with what IRMA did tbh.", fair enough...but there are many who *do* care about independent labels and *don't* care about the slowing down of CD sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

In fairness, does the Irish chart mean anything. No-one ever quotes it and its a joke. Songs like Ghetto Gospel stay in the top 20 for 6 months.

I didnt say i dont care about indie labels, trust me, I do. I just don't think that this is much of a problem.

People should care about the slowing down of cd sales. Singles/Eps/albums are more than just the music. The artwork and entire packaging is important too. You don't get that with an mp3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

With respect..I disagree Garrett.

And the notion that irish labels are told "ah, don't worry lads, ye will catch up soon enough!" when you consider that this is the most significant change in the irish charts since 1962, is one that I don't subscribe to.

When the changeover was made in the UK, independent labels knew 12 months in advance what was happening and when, so they had ample time to get up to speed.

Instead, IRMA suddenly unleash the new chart rules and the top 10 looks like this (I can't/shouldn't paste the full chart details because of copyright)

01. HIPS DON'T LIE - SHAKIRA FEAT. WYCLEF JEAN - 1,672 Ddownload sales (6,854 sales - all formats)

02-I WISH I WAS A PUNK ROCKER-SANDI "webcam" THOM
    03-MANEATER-NELLY FURTADO
    04-BUTTONS-PUSSYCAT DOLLS FEAT. SNOOP DOGG
    05-HIGH-SULLIVAN BROTHERS
    06-FROM PARIS TO BERLIN-INFERNAL
    07-SEXY LOVE-NE-YO
    08-HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH-LORDI
    09-WHO KNEW-PINK
    10-SMILE - LILY ALLEN

for the un-initiated, what that essentially means in Irish music terms is this:

01 - SONY BMG (British project)
    02 - SONY BMG (British project)
    03 - UNIVERSAL MUSIC (British project)
    04 - UNIVERSAL MUSIC (British project)
    05 - INDEPENDENT (Irish Project)
    06 - UNIVERSAL MUSIC (British project)
    07 - UNIVERSAL MUSIC (British project)
    08 - SONY BMG (British project)
    09 - SONY BMG (British project)
    10 - EMI MUSIC GROUP (British project)

If you think there's "Nothing wrong with what IRMA did tbh.", fair enough...but there are many who *do* care about independent labels and *don't* care about the slowing down of CD sales.

what would it have looked like if indepedents were involved, if the band are chasing chart positions then are they worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

what do you want in fairness? more people buy popular stuff on BMG or universal then irish indie labels... it's a given.

and anyway, someone kind of already pointed this out, the irish chart is just some list that's put on 2fm.ie every week. no one really pays attention. if anything, the UK chart has more of an effect on irish consumers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

one doesn't have to shift a lot to get into the charts in ireland.. i think i recall some1 say if you sell as little as 300 copies you'll get in the charts... maybe the likes of phantom and other lesser indie broadcasters can make an indie chart but i don't think its necessary... i know its important that more ppl listen to irish music.. but tbh the ppl that listen to music from the charts don't really appreciate music... to use an example.. (not sure if any1 likes the freames) but not so long ago they played a gig in cork opera house... i wasn't there but i heard accounts of the place being full of hecklers... now fair play to the frames for selling out the opera house and i know you can't really control who likes your music.. but i know there's nothin worse than a demanding audience.. an audience who want to hear that song and if you don't play it they don't like the band anymore... so the audience that the charts bring to irish music sucks.. therefore the charts SUCK... i'm kent brockman and that was my two cents

Advertisement