Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jap imports - Ireland - Where?

Options
  • 10-07-2006 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Where in Ireland do they sell Japanese imports...
    Any website addresses?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I bought both my Mitsubishi Mirage's through garages that advertised on carzone myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/
    Seem to have a good selection, and no having to go through a dealer over here, so no middleman. Dunno if they're any good though, and I'm not sure if you'll find much in your price range if you're still looking for something under a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Enterprise on the Dock Rd. in Limerick are always overloaded with imports, UK and jap

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You could bring them in yourself and save a few quid, but most don't want the hassle. Bring a mechanic with you and give the car a serious looking over as way too many have been clocked and/or have been crash damaged. I keep banging on about auction reports but few of the dealers here have them(although they should) as most consumers here don't seem to care. Having one is a big advantage. Don't jump at the first one you see. There will be more of the same and it's a good idea to get a feel for the car you're buying. You might be surprised how much they can vary. I would advise not to get one with too many modifications. If something goes pear shaped with 3rd party stuff it can be very expensive to fix. It also suggests that they may have been thrashed.
    ninty9er wrote:
    Enterprise on the Dock Rd. in Limerick are always overloaded with imports, UK and jap
    Actually I'd recommend them. Good selection and the cars are clean to boot for a change. I've known two people who have bought of the them and there were no surprises with the cars down the line.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Topcat101

Wibbs wrote:
    You could bring them in yourself and save a few quid, but most don't want the hassle. Bring a mechanic with you and give the car a serious looking over as way too many have been clocked and/or have been crash damaged. I keep banging on about auction reports but few of the dealers here have them(although they should) as most consumers here don't seem to care. Having one is a big advantage. Don't jump at the first one you see. There will be more of the same and it's a good idea to get a feel for the car you're buying. You might be surprised how much they can vary. I would advise not to get one with too many modifications. If something goes pear shaped with 3rd party stuff it can be very expensive to fix. It also suggests that they may have been thrashed.
    Actually I'd recommend them. Good selection and the cars are clean to boot for a change. I've known two people who have bought of the them and there were no surprises with the cars down the line.

Enterprise are good but expensive, 2K over what the car is worth usually. Got a sweet Ferrari kit car in stock at the moment....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

True, but a lot of the cars here can be cheaper than they should be because they're low auction grade accident stuff. The price diff in Japan can be huge. I've seen this first hand in the process of bringing mine over. Depending on the model a grade 0/-1 can be many 1000s less than even a grade 3(which isn't that great). The price difference between a 0 and a grade four is even bigger. I've seen a grade 0 type r go for the equivalent of 5000euro when in the same auction a grade 4.5 went for ten. Big profit if you tart up the lesser grade.

The crowd above firhouse(whose name escapes) can be pricey too, but their stuff is usually higher grade and you actually get the auction report. Two thumbs up right there. That said the two boyos I know who bought from enterprise got their stuff at pretty much the going rate. Maybe their overheads are going up. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Arent Jap cars not sealed underneath the cars as they dont salt the roads in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

i bought a car at enterprise cars in limerick last year. its was a '99 car, got it at a good price. only one basic problem with it since, and they sorted it for me under their warranty. ...good place

kluivert wrote:
    Arent Jap cars not sealed underneath the cars as they dont salt the roads in Japan.
    AFAIR they don't salt them here either, they grit them. In any case the rust protection on Jap domestic market cars is pretty much the same, if not identical as one here. They get a lot of rain too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, that's becoming like some old wive's tale for japanese imports. IIRC in the last year in Limerick they may have put stuff down on icy roads maybe twice at the most, and I'm pretty sure it was grit, or a combination of salt and grit (do they do that?). Dunno about you but I wouldn't worry about one or two days a year, even if it is salt.

But yes, do watch out for crash repairs (though some may be very well repaired) and clocked odometers. And make sure there's an FM adaptor on the radio or a locally bought stereo in it, as Japan is the only country in the world that uses different frequencies for FM radio - that's if you care about FM of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Adam Lewis

junii wrote:
    Where in Ireland do they sell Japanese imports...
    Any website addresses?

Cheers.
    Another good option for getting a quality import car is this crowd:

http://bptrading.avlindustries.com

My brother is living in dublin and has brought 4 cars through these guys as a bit of a side business, and he reckons they are on the ball. saces dealing with dealers and their added costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Here's a great place to find some nice cars :)

http://www.hpimports.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I bought mine here...http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49623

He had alot of tidy cars out there and was very easy to deal with unlike a certain other jap import place on east wall road :rolleyes:

Advertisement