Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wall!!!!

Options
  • 10-07-2006 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

Are they getting rid of The Wall???

I was in Arts the other day (don't ask!) and they have mdf construction signs blocking it off.....please say it isn't being removed!

My brother is coming into UCD next year and he better not miss out on that wonder!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Do you mean 'the wall' as in the wall outside the arts cafe - aka The Dept of Lung Cancer?

or

Do you mean 'the wall' as in the original wall inside the arts building?

Please don't say the first one....I spent many an hour out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

''The Wall'' has obviously collapsed without certain boardsies holding it up:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I bet they remove it and replace it with something "better" but is actually generally accepted to be a pile of shite . SU posters , now we need your protests :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I knew James Carroll would never get his finger out and now it appears that our beloved wall might be gone forever. Now im no smoker, and there are one or two people i really dont like at it (they know who they are) but its such an important social tool. We can discuss Union politics, films, enjoy wireless, sport tends not to come up unless Seb The Bum is there, but its a historical testament to all the smokers in UCD. PLus its the best place to become acquainted with the best looking women in UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Grimes wrote:
    I bet they remove it and replace it with something "better" but is actually generally accepted to be a pile of shite . SU posters , now we need your protests :p

The following statement comes from all union hacks: We apologise, but your issue is of too much public and student interest, for us to be involved. We recommend that you wallow in apathy, then try again later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Het-Field wrote:
    Now im no smoker

Liar..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Chakar wrote:
    Liar..

Nah he's telling the truth...I've seen his pathetic attempts at it. :p

Surely they can't really remove the wall though. I mean it's a big enough drop on the right side. Maybe they're just fixing it?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Clutch at straws much? It would have to have been broken in order for them to be fixing it! :)

Ah no, I hope they don't get rid of it, it's a convenient place to go and sit. Although, I'm still not clear on which one TheVan is talking about. I'd assume that he'd be of the persuasion that the wall is the one that the gamers used to sit at i.e., the indoors one.

If it's that one, then I'd be sorry to see it go. If it's the other one, I wouldn't mind getting rid of it, it's a real annoyance to have to walk all the way around it to get into Th.L etc. when you're coming in off the bus.

Edit: wow, three paragraphs and I didn't even make a point? I've got to start getting some sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Well the Hilpers wall was very much intact the last time I went by on Friday, but there is much a MDFing going on down by Theatre P and Q....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

yeah the hilpers' wall is still very much intact, we've been having our tea breaks on it every day for the last few weeks. he's talking about the other wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I have a feeling they might be turning it into offices. Prehaps an extension to the chaplains office? An uber student advisor centre prehaps? The constructions started a good few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

NOT THE FLIPPING DOLC!!!

There was a whole thread about this....the Wall is the one beside th P!!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

TheVan wrote:
    FLIPPING
    The word is 'FUCKING'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Yep I also heard offices and that was from some random ucd staff having a very loud chat in the arts block one evening.

Shame really - everywhere is being turned into offices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hill

Dudes and Dudettes, the "Wall" in UCD is the climbing wall in the sports centre.

Now I know this isn't the "wall" (note lower case) that the OP is referring to 'cos how many smokers do you see chalking up their nicotine yellowed fingers to pull themselves against gravity up 40 feet of gnarled asphalt?

;)

Don't mind me I'm just bitter at not having a girlfriend anymore...

Who is this idiot? ;)

The Wall is the area currently under construction. It was there before the climbing wall and before the area outside Finnegan's break started to be called the wall. End of. Now respect your elders and don't argue.

I'm far far older than all you youngsters!

Some of you may even know me by my past monickers :)

Bordsie since 99!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

hill wrote:
    I'm far far older than all you youngsters!

Some of you may even know me by my past monickers :)

Bordsie since 99!
    :eek: OMG loike you can sooo totally get loike sitebanned for that:eek:

@Irlrobins.. arthritis playing up makin ya cranky??:p :p

Not if you no long use the old nicks!

I never have more than one active, nor reuse the old ones.

Anyway back to the wall (no not backs to the wall you filty perverts).

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ha! DOLC is always the ****e name and it remains "The Wall" . Thank God it remains. SU stand down from our calls !

• Advertisement

Scraggs wrote:
    @Irlrobins.. arthritis playing up makin ya cranky??:p :p
    No, but my anti baldness cream is itching like mad!
    hill wrote:
    I never have more than one active, nor reuse the old ones.
    Is that because they're all banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

The Arts Programme Office is moving to the G area on the ground floor, i.e. "The Wall"/Chaplain's Area. Also watch out for CopiPrint becoming a lounging/social space.

You heard it here first. Unless you read the minutes of the last SU Exec meeting, in which case you'll have read it there first, but it would still have technically been me telling you. Unless you're on Exec itself.

:rolleyes:

The Arts Programme Office is moving to the G area on the ground floor, i.e. "The Wall"/Chaplain's Area.

Tell the Arts Programme Officers about the new development:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

hill wrote:
    Dudes and Dudettes, the "Wall" in UCD is the climbing wall in the sports centre.

Now I know this isn't the "wall" (note lower case) that the OP is referring to 'cos how many smokers do you see chalking up their nicotine yellowed fingers to pull themselves against gravity up 40 feet of gnarled asphalt?

The UCD climbing wall in the sports centre is definatly not the 'wall'.You have your 'quarry' so leave us our wall:)
    singingstranger,where is the chaplaincy going?Are the two arts programme officers sharing the same room?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Chakar wrote:
    Tell the Arts Programme Officers about the new development:(
    Read the minutes of the Executive of the Union you're a heavily involved party in...

Read the minutes of the Executive of the Union you're a heavily involved party in...

I've done so and they are excellent minutes.Paul wouldn't bother to read the Exec minutes so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I was in UCD yesterday and the wall was just fine, smokers smoking by it, as it should be, no offices or anything.

Also; @ singingstranger and Chakar yiz are making less sense than usual

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

wall =! smoking area

End of discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Wall is the former home of GameSoc. No other place in UCD has earned the right to be called that. The area outside the arts block is the DoLC, and the climbing wall is just the climbing wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

The Wall is the former home of GameSoc. No other place in UCD has earned the right to be called that. The area outside the arts block is the DoLC, and the climbing wall is just the climbing wall.
    100% spot on, as ever RK.

Smoking Area outside Arts Cafe = Department of Lung Cancer.

I've really gotta get round to putting up that plaque...

Advertisement