Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another recommend me a graphics card thread.

Options
  • 10-07-2006 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Pretty much a graphics card virgin and find the choices confusing to be honest, so I was hoping somebody would do it for me.
    Here's the brief.

Current system.

3.2GHZ P4
    1Gig of RAM
    Nvidia Geforce FX5200 128MB graphics card.

I like to play games and I've notice the graphics on some of the newer titles are becoming increasing jerky. I have a budget of @ E200.
    Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

paddy wrote:
    Pretty nice deal; I'd jump on that as fast as I could! (if I were a PC gamer, that is...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yeah thats good all right. Make sure your computer can take an agp card u dont want buying something that wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Good point, BadCharlie, this card (as well as others of a similar/higher/lower spec) requires around a 350 Watt psu 18Amps/12v power rail on your psu in order to function properly.
    This might be something you have not considered when thinking about buying a new card. Maybe a 6600 Gt might keep it within your price range assuming your psu can't take the 6800 Gs.

Hth
    Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've notice the graphics on some of the newer titles are becoming increasing jerky

I'm surprised you're only noticing that now, that card can't even run some new games, and the ones it can, are mostly only playable on the lowest settings...

Pretty much anything would be a big step up from that card. A 6800/X800 would be great if your psu can take it, if not, even a 6600GT would show a huge difference. In fact, a 50 quid second hand 9600XT/9800Pro, old as they are, would be light years ahead of the fx5200.....whatever you opt for, you can't really loose! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Thanks for the replies and excuse my ignorance but how would I go about finding whether or not my psu is up to the job?. I assume the psu will have a spec tag attached to it, or is there another way.

Cheers.

Here's a pic of the spec tag on the PSU. Will the 6800GS work with this, or will I have to plum for the 6600GT.

Cheers,

DSC00028.JPG

Unfortunately that seems way underpowered for a 6800, and possibly a 6600 too....

fairly limited with a 250w psu to be honest...you'll have to change it really, the best you could get without changing it is probably a card powered entirely from the agp slot like a 9600XT, which is light years ahead of the 5200, but still an old card thats not great at newer games.

And if you're thinking of getting a 6800, don't even think about getting a cheap PSU - you want to have nice stable power!
    *edit By "cheap" I am referring to crap from the likes of NorthQ...

If I upgrade my power supply to something like this

https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311384

how will that affect my mother board etc?

I'm very tempted to chance my arm on the 6600gt.

Havok... is this the card your on about.
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/75061/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-9600xt-256-mb-agp.html

Once again thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

If you can't/don't want to change your PSU, yep thats the card I mentioned, great card for its age, can still play new games on Medium-ish settings nicely. Miles better then the FX5200, at least, and a great solution to someone with a crap psu/system where the psu cant be changed like a dell etc.

However if you're willing to change your PSU, then the 9600XT isn't recommended - with that PSU you've linked to, a 6800 would be fine. If your upgrading the psu, might as well go that extra bit and skip the 6600gt, nice card but aging at this stage, the 6800 will perform better and last a bit longer.

OK this is what I've decided to go for.

PSU
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/107636/art/fortron/green-power-400-w-pc-powe.html?itag=6584

Graphics card
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/226285/art/pixmania/geforce-6800gs-256-mb-agp.html?itag=6584

All together E258 delivered.

What do people think, do you reckon this would be alright.

Thanks again.

P.S. just incase it makes a difference my system is a compaq S7500UK with sound card and extra ram added....

Stimpyone wrote:
    OK this is what I've decided to go for.

PSU
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/107636/art/fortron/green-power-400-w-pc-powe.html?itag=6584

Graphics card
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/226285/art/pixmania/geforce-6800gs-256-mb-agp.html?itag=6584

All together E258 delivered.

What do people think, do you reckon this would be alright.

Thanks again.

P.S. just incase it makes a difference my system is a compaq S7500UK with sound card and extra ram added....
    Fortron bad.
    Just a couple more quid for an Enermax 420W (link)
    That'll do the 6800GS justice

KO kiki... Cheers, took your advice and plumed for the 430watt one. Ordered and payed for now but the PSU won't be in stock until the 17th so I'm expecting delivery some time after that.

I'll keep you's updated if for nothing else but for closure. :D

Stimpyone wrote:
    KO kiki... Cheers, took your advice and plumed for the 430watt one. Ordered and payed for now but the PSU won't be in stock until the 17th so I'm expecting delivery some time after that.

I'll keep you's updated if for nothing else but for closure. :D

Received the graphics card on the 17th, but still waiting on the PSU....... I hate waiting!!!

Finially got the PSU and card installed and it makes a huge, huge difference:D . Thanks for all the help folks.

Advertisement