Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creature colonies

Options
  • 10-07-2006 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I know these are not pets, or animals, but are there any other creatures that live in colonies like ants and bees, where there is one queen which lays eggs, and most of the colony is made up of sexless workers or soldiers. A lot of species, including us, have a hierarchical structure which has an Alpha Male as the leader. but are there any others that work like ants and bees?

I was just wondering this the other day after watching Arachnophobia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I didn't know that there was an Alpha male somewhere who's supposed to lead me :D. Me thinks I need to have a word with my OH, again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

you know what I mean, we have government or kings. Most predators have alpha males like the lions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A lot of monkey groups are lead by the alpha male/female & only they will breed. Ring Tail Lemurs are a matricarcal(sp) group with one head female.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Marts, I was only joking, it wasn't a dig at you :). And as punishment I add:

You don't have to go exotic to find this setup: chicken vs rooster, mares vs stallion, cows vs bull. Ok those are all female *packs* with male leaders ;).

Gorilla's live in large family units with the silverback being the dominant alpha male.

However, there are lots of matriarchal animal units as well, for example the Orcas, elephants, bonobos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

EGAR wrote:
    Marts, I was only joking, it wasn't a dig at you :)
    don't worry, I know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Drakol

Naked Mole Rats - They are one of the Only Mammals that use an Insect like, Behavioral Pattern.

Queen - Soldiers - Workers

They also have Scouts, and other devices. Check them up on Wikipedia or on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Hyenas are matriarchal too.

Advertisement