Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 online game

• 10-07-2006 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hey i was just wondering if theres any games out there for ps2 online that are actually used? so often now ive bought games to playonline and i go into the lobby and there isn't a soul around.. then again ps2 online is horrible but theres bound to be some games with a few people around?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭madmike18

i played area 51 alot that was pretty good online

it has its moments in the game

great game and very good concept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Gyre

Splinter Cell 3 always has people. Battlefront 2 also has people. I sold Battlefield Modern Combat recently before I bought the god damn network adapter and I'm seriously considering buying it back for online play. Online game is good. The only thing is that the lobbies are just full of idiots who think they know everything. This usually leads to civil wars. But best of luck with it! What games are you trying to play anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

battlefield: modern combat
    killzone is still popular
    battlefront 2 as someone else said is also popular

but i think Socom is the most popular ps2 online game... (i think 3 is the latest)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The MGS3 special edition version has an online thing I think....I don't know if that came out over here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

thanks i'll probably end up buyin killzone or battlefront, they seem pretty good, anyone know if theres any good driving games online? is there anyone on the burnout 3 lobby these days?

• Advertisement

Online or not, I wouldn't reccomend Killzone. It's aweful. It flopped like Driver 3...and 4!
    I was on the burnout three lobby a few days ago. There were quite a lot of people there but in order to play, you must have a 60Hz television. The game creater sets this but it's more often than not always at 60, not 50.
    The new toca game is online. I keep threatening to check it out actually.
    I'd get Socum but..err, I don't know, there's something always dodgy about that series. The videos of the game look flawed and weak. I bought the first one AGES ago. That was gliched. I now take a peak at the newest one and the same flaws seem to be there.

On the otherhand, I'm one for excellent games all-round - not just online play. Isn't that the only way really?! But I suppose if you're simply an online gamer, then you may have different views on what games are good V bad. However, I really must warn that Killzone is ****ing brutel (and not in the violent sense...but the "sheer worst shooter on PS2" sense.

Gyre wrote:
    Online or not, I wouldn't reccomend Killzone. It's aweful. It flopped like Driver 3...and 4!

killzone has gone platinum and still has one of the biggest fan communities around. it also has the biggest budget of any sony online entertainment company of all so far. "flop" is taking your dislike of it way out of proportion...

(fyi: i make it no secret of my fanboyism towards this game :D)
    Gyre wrote:
    I'd get Socum but..err, I don't know, there's something always dodgy about that series. The videos of the game look flawed and weak. I bought the first one AGES ago. That was gliched. I now take a peak at the newest one and the same flaws seem to be there.

what flaws? the socom series is incredibly solid, and generally very "third person counter-strike" when online (when you find the right people to play, that is)... i believe at some stages it managed to beat out halo for numbers online playing at once!
    Gyre wrote:
    I really must warn that Killzone is ****ing brutel (and not in the violent sense...but the "sheer worst shooter on PS2" sense.

:rolleyes:

Right. I’ve never played Killzone online. Maybe it’s the best game ever. But single player is terrible. The game was given extreme hype approaching its release. It was all over magazines and the net. Everywhere. But then it came out. The magazines that gave it hype were then compelled to give it a good mark; otherwise there would have been a large waste of money. Other mags that are more universal and that don’t actually give a **** about any particular format (such as Game and Edge) gave Killzone poor marks. I generally don’t believe any magazine because it’s only an opinion. I base the game's performance at my own standards. Killzone looks good…until you actually start moving the character. You can’t move anywhere, as it’s ultimately linear. It has bad dynamics and the A.I is poor. It has that poor system whereby you try to walk through a particular gap between two buildings or whatever but you’re character won’t budge. “No, no, I’m sorry, there is only one pathway I’m afraid” – that’s what should flash-up on the screen.

As for the budget - It was given a lot of money yes…but so was Driver 3, Malice, Manhunt and Tomb Raider (the film-game) etc.. They were all poor. Really a budget means nothing. Unless you know where to put the budget, money means nothing. Sadly for Killzone, 90% of the money was placed into booming the graphics to combat Halo. But it failed and as far as I’m concerned, the developers weren’t really aiming for anything else. “Black” is a game where the developers knew exactly what to do but sadly there is no online play.

Socum. I’ve read mixed reviews of the latest Socum game and I’ve watched many videos. It’s supposed to be the #1 online game for the PS2. I have only played the first one and it was ok. It didn’t blow me away or anything. I thought it was very flat. Apparently, the third in the series is pretty much the same. They have corrected some flaws and improved A.I. but reviewers say that the game (like Mercenaries) has levels of endless barren wasteland with a few buildings and trees here and there. Looking at the videos of the game, it feels lonely and rushed. Then again, it could be the best game ever. But there’s nothing worse than calling, “Alpha, run to point Delpha”, and then realising that on his way, he has blatantly walked off a cliff face. That’s ****ing irritating. I know this doesn’t happen in online play, but the players that are in the lobby usually stroll off and do their own thing…kindof spoiling the co-operation part of the game.

Saying that, I want to buy Socum three but I’m a little afraid of the consequences.
    Anyone know what Sensible Soccer is like? I’m dying to check it out, but it’s no-where to rent.

Gyre wrote:
    Right. I’ve never played Killzone online. Maybe it’s the best game ever. But single player is terrible. The game was given extreme hype approaching its release. It was all over magazines and the net. Everywhere. But then it came out. The magazines that gave it hype were then compelled to give it a good mark; otherwise there would have been a large waste of money. Other mags that are more universal and that don’t actually give a **** about any particular format (such as Game and Edge) gave Killzone poor marks. I generally don’t believe any magazine because it’s only an opinion. I base the game's performance at my own standards. Killzone looks good…until you actually start moving the character. You can’t move anywhere, as it’s ultimately linear. It has bad dynamics and the A.I is poor. It has that poor system whereby you try to walk through a particular gap between two buildings or whatever but you’re character won’t budge. “No, no, I’m sorry, there is only one pathway I’m afraid” – that’s what should flash-up on the screen.

your complaints aren't just about killzone, they exist in nearly every single console-based FPS i've ever played. including "the best" that there is, halo.
    Gyre wrote:
    As for the budget - It was given a lot of money yes…but so was Driver 3, Malice, Manhunt and Tomb Raider (the film-game) etc.. They were all poor. Really a budget means nothing. Unless you know where to put the budget, money means nothing. Sadly for Killzone, 90% of the money was placed into booming the graphics to combat Halo. But it failed and as far as I’m concerned, the developers weren’t really aiming for anything else. “Black” is a game where the developers knew exactly what to do but sadly there is no online play.

never even heard of malice, or knew there was a tomb raider film game... but manhunt had a very small budget recycled from GTA profits, and it did rockstar a lot of business, and was an ultimately fantastic game.

black doesn't have online play because they knew they were releasing a game at the end of a console cycle, and decided to focus on single-player, and work on black2 for the next gen consoles which'll have all the bells and whistles

Advertisement