Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Bureaucracy

Options
  • 10-07-2006 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

"UCD bureaucracy has let me down this year.In the first semester I handed in a essay in the tutor's box and he apparently overlooked it by accident and as a result I got a E in my Medieval History module.It was later rectified when I went up to the department and I got a C.

In the second semester I did an exam which was 100% of the total module.In my exam results that module result appeared as NW.What happened was the university lost track of my result in that paper but it is now resolved.

Has this been happened to you? I wonder if this is a result of the university's extensive restructuring?"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Chakar wrote:
    "UCD bureaucracy has let me down this year.In the first semester I handed in a essay in the tutor's box and he apparently overlooked it by accident and as a result I got a E in my Medieval History module.It was later rectified when I went up to the department and I got a C.

In the second semester I did an exam which was 100% of the total module.In my exam results that module result appeared as NW.What happened was the university lost track of my result in that paper but it is now resolved.

Has this been happened to you? I wonder if this is a result of the university's extensive restructuring?"

Get used to the school of History screwing you over. In 1st year i found out i failed history, and i went to view my script. There was no stamps, red marks or department natations on it. It was then i got slightly suspicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

It happens. It's unfortunate but it happens. You have to allow for some human error and you'll probably find that in a university of 20,000 students its not exactly a normal occurance.

Like you say yourself, there is restructuring going on. You have to allow for some confusion and disorganisation while that goes on.

They would have let you down if they had been unable to rectify the situation and given you your proper marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Thank God I'm not doing History for 2nd year, I'm gonna do Politics and Sociology.

Anyway I'm trying to get used to so many mistakes wonder if it will get better.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's easy enough to resolve these problems when they arise. In a place as big as UCD, there are always going to be people who are let down by the system. I've been let down once or twice but usually they're good enough about helping out.

It's easy enough to resolve these problems when they arise. In a place as big as UCD, there are always going to be people who are let down by the system. I've been let down once or twice but usually they're good enough about helping out.

Yeah once you bring it to their attention they resolve it, if there's anything worth resolving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Be grateful you arent in DIT Kevin street. One friend of mine last summer had an exam of his lost, and they refused to acknowledge that he had ever sat the exam and was forced to repeat even though he had a 1st average over the rest of his exams.

Another friend of mine failed a maths exam as did his whole class because the idiots never scheduled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

It happens even in the small courses - 39 in my year and one of the lads sits his exams in belfield for health reasons - he sat a paper and was told by a lecturer he'd never sat the exam and they had no paper for him. Worst thing being its a subject noones ever failed

Dunno if they've sorted it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

There was one case this year that was really bad in terms of department organisation. A friend of mine in 3rd year Arts (I won't say which department) is dyslexic and she has a waiver which basically means that she can't be marked down too severely on stuff like spelling and sentence structure.

Anyway my friend handed up two essays to this department as part of her continuous assessment for second semester. When she got them back her grades were terrible. She showed me the worst one to have a look at and every single comment and mark was about her spelling and her sentence structure. There was absolutely nothing about the content of her essay. The lecturer's hanwriting was getting more and more erratic and you just see that he was getting angry at her spelling mistakes.

The second essay was also terrible and had the same types of comments. She went up to the department and asked if they were aware that she had a waiver. She received a blank look. She went to the two lecturers involved and the first claimed he changed her grade but it remained the same and he refused to budge on this. The second guy was far more accomodating. He cursed the department and walked into the office, took her record card and changed her grade there and then by 10%.

When she discussed it further with the department they told her that it was up to her to inform lecturers that she had a waiver despite the fact that she never had to do this in her first semester, or her previous two years. She made sure to write on all her exam papers "PLEASE NOTE - I HAVE A DYSLEXIA WAIVER"

Seriously bad form from that department and could have seriously damaged her chances of getting into the masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Never happened to me in UCD, but happened in my first semester this year. I found out I'd been marked at 38% for one of my exams, and was suprised at this so went to ask about it. Luckily in DCU they're very accommidating about this sort of thing, and 2 hours after I emailed the lecturer I was sitting in his office to view my script. Then he told me that they'd forgtten to add on my assignment marks (worth 25%) and scale it! He was extremely embarressed about the whole thing though (engineers don't like making mistakes :D)

It might actually get worse now that the rest of the years will be modularised:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement