Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best fuel economy out of these cars

Options
  • 10-07-2006 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Which would be best fuel economy...

Almera - 1.4P
    Sunny - 1.4P
    Golf - 1.4P

Stupid question but a 1.3 corolla would definitely use less juice than any of them 1.4's, right?

Which would be the best all rounder. Someone said that the toyota would probably keep going forever, would the golf do this aswell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

junii wrote:
    Which would be best fuel economy...

Almera - 1.4P
    Sunny - 1.4P
    Golf - 1.4P

Stupid question but a 1.3 corolla would definitely use less juice than any of them 1.4's, right?

Which would be the best all rounder. Someone said that the toyota would probably keep going forever, would the golf do this aswell?

the fuel economy isnt just ruled by the size of the engine. If the 1.3 engine is pulling the same or more weight that then 1.4 then it'll probably use more fuel. The newer golfs 1.4 golfs seem to be either underpowered or heavy and is reflected in the 0 -60 times. So the 1.6 will probably be nto only quicker but more fuel efficient.

A good example is mpvs. Most of which have a 1.4 option which stupid people dive on. I'll use the scenic as an example. It's a huge car for a little 1.4 to be pulling and just shouldnt be an option.If people actually did research before buying a new car in that class they woulld see tha 1.6 would be a bare min and that 1.8 should be what they are aiming at.

Sorry bout not really answering your questions and goin gon an engine rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

At your budget, it's really all about condition. Good cars can be got for €700, but you can't narrow it down to one particular model or you'll be looking forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anan1 wrote:
    At your budget, it's really all about condition. Good cars can be got for €700, but you can't narrow it down to one particular model or you'll be looking forever.

Very true.

I'd go for the Corolla 1.3, as there seems to be plenty of them always on the Broken & Stolen. The original shape almera also has a reputation of being absolutely impossible to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

Thats True about the Almeria ...thats also the problem the only ppl selling an almeria is the guy how broke it
    Very very good Car .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Joeface wrote:
    Thats True about the Almeria ...thats also the problem the only ppl selling an almeria is the guy how broke it
    Very very good Car .

Thats this almera your talking about, right?
    http://www.shop.autoteile-und-autoersatzteile.de/images/almeran15-995.gif

Or the same model in saloon?

maidhc: why do you say I should get the corolla when alot of them are broken or stolen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

golf is a very heavy car for a 1.4 so id avoid that for fuel economy alone. all three are fairly bullet proof reliability. if you were goin for real fuel economy and money wasnt that much of an issue id go for the 1.4 D4D corolla.only about three years old but the amount of taxi drivers who recommend em is crazy.bit dear id imagine though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I was getting 6.6l per 100km out of an almera hire car back in 2004. That was a fairly representative figure as I was runnign the almera for over 2000km on various town and out of town runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

junii wrote:
    maidhc: why do you say I should get the corolla when alot of them are broken or stolen?
    Someone's not been eating their Weetabix :D
    It was a joke - he meant "Buy & Sell"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Someone's not been eating their Weetabix :D
    It was a joke - he meant "Buy & Sell"

Yes! :)

Although if you are buying anything on the B&S be sure to examine it carefully. And ask lots of detailed questions before travelling. I got caught out before by a machine described as being "immaculate". The sellers idea of immaculate and mine varied considerably and €30 of diesel and a day was wasted in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stekelly wrote:
    A good example is mpvs. Most of which have a 1.4 option which stupid people dive on. I'll use the scenic as an example. .

There aren't that many MPVs with a 1.4 option, Zafira, Verso, C-Max etc all have 1.6 as a base. 1.4 makes sense for most people as they don't intend to drive fast, and can't justify the higher new and lower used prices of a 1.6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

My former beloved had a '96 1.4 almera as her first car with 180,000 miles on it (it was in late 2004/early 2005), and it ran like a watch (and, considering hoe she drove, it proved that at least the engine was unbreakable!!!). She gave it to her sister after 6 months with about 210,000 onit, and I think she's still driving it.

No idea on mileage, I'm afraid, but there were so many of them sold, parts, both new and second hand, should be easily available (and body panels second hand in the colour of the one she just knocked off/slashed with a wall/kicked pretending it was me.........)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote:
    There aren't that many MPVs with a 1.4 option, Zafira, Verso, C-Max etc all have 1.6 as a base. 1.4 makes sense for most people as they don't intend to drive fast, and can't justify the higher new and lower used prices of a 1.6

The zafira is a bigger car than the scenic though. I had a zafira on the opel 3 day test drive and it was awfull (even overlooking the car that it was) It was soooo underpowered. The scenic really has to be revved to get it moving in a 1.4 . The 1.6 would offer slighty better or the same fuel economy and the engine wont be labouring. It just feels like the car is overloaded. The engine wont last anywhere near as long either. All the small engined big bodied cars in this country die well before their time.

EDIT just checked their. the grand scenic, which I would be a better equivelant to the zafira , has a 1.6 base. Still underpowered imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stekelly wrote:
    The zafira is a bigger car than the scenic though. I had a zafira on the opel 3 day test drive and it was awfull (even overlooking the car that it was) It was soooo underpowered. The scenic really has to be revved to get it moving in a 1.4 . The 1.6 would offer slighty better or the same fuel economy and the engine wont be labouring. It just feels like the car is overloaded. The engine wont last anywhere near as long either. All the small engined big bodied cars in this country die well before their time.

EDIT just checked their. the grand scenic, which I would be a better equivelant to the zafira , has a 1.6 base. Still underpowered imo.

Yes but our riduculous tax system penalises larger engines, hence a lot of the the €4,500 difference between Corolla Verso 1.6 and 2.2 Diesel

Advertisement