Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few basic hosting questions...

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

True

However i think people should realise that when hosting companies go to war the only winner is the customer as each company strives for cheaper plans with better support and better Infrastructures.

Exactly. Ah, the beauty of competition - several companies batteling for your business, fantastic for the consumer. From this thread I have secured myself an even better deal than the ones on the website, which I already thought was great value...

Thanks to the persistence of companies like Blacknight and H365 Ireland has some of the best deals on websiting, with fantastic customer service. It has come a long way since I first even looked for good value hosting in the late 90's

Sposs, You might want to remove that comment about Company X, your comment in brackets just might possibly happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Asok wrote:
    I think we should re-open the web hosting forum for the sheer comedy gold it generated :P.
    And for added fun, make each hoster a mod. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sposs wrote:
    However i think people should realise that when hosting companies go to war the only winner is the customer as each company strives for cheaper plans with better support and better Infrastructures.
    Yep. The biggest shift over the past six years or so has been to the benefit of the customer. It has moved from being a sellers' market dominated by the ISPs to a buyers' market where the best deal generally gets the customer. The ISPs have fallen through the floor (they now only account for approximately 25% of the market) because they could not compete with dedicated hosting companies such as H365,Novara,Irishdomains,Blacknight etc.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

jmcc wrote:
    And for added fun, make each hoster a mod. :)

Regards...jmcc
    Can you imagine the fun? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

blacknight wrote:
    Can you imagine the fun? :D

get stuffed, the lot of ye :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OK lads a few more basic questions. Today I will purchase my hosting package. I want to first it all set up with my primary domain (personal site) - I'll worry about the others later. I'm not sure if I should transfer the domain name over to the new host, or just update the name servers. Does it matter, and does it make any difference? I'm not even sure who the domain is with! I originally registered with www.doteasy.com but then swapped to a different hosting, I think i only changed the DNS Settins though, I'll have to check. Is it easier to just update nameservers and swap over later when the renewal date comes up?

The other thing; All the files that I currently have on my website, i need to transfer these to the new host. Can this be done from server to server, or is is best to just downlaod them all to my PC first and then do an upload to the new server? I assume once I change the domain name to the new host, access to my files on the old server will have to be through the direct admin login as ftp will be changed to the new host. Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Zascar wrote:
    OK lads a few more basic questions. Today I will purchase my hosting package. I want to first it all set up with my primary domain (personal site) - I'll worry about the others later. I'm not sure if I should transfer the domain name over to the new host, or just update the name servers. Does it matter, and does it make any difference? I'm not even sure who the domain is with! I originally registered with www.doteasy.com but then swapped to a different hosting, I think i only changed the DNS Settins though, I'll have to check. Is it easier to just update nameservers and swap over later when the renewal date comes up?
    You only need to update the nameservers. You *could* transfer the domain name if you want but there is no particular need. Check here to see who the domain registrar is.
    Zascar wrote:
    The other thing; All the files that I currently have on my website, i need to transfer these to the new host. Can this be done from server to server, or is is best to just downlaod them all to my PC first and then do an upload to the new server? I assume once I change the domain name to the new host, access to my files on the old server will have to be through the direct admin login as ftp will be changed to the new host. Is this correct?
    If your site is not very big then it would be just handier to download them to your PC and upload them to the new site (at least you would have a backup of the site aswell on your pc).

Well you won't be able to use the domain name to ftp in to the old hosting when the name servers are changed but you will be still able to use the IP address. Just ping the website now and that will give you the ip address of your current hosting. With regards the new hosting and FTP'ing to it - you could get the IP address from the new hosters (support) and upload your site to that address and use a temporary alias for the domain name so that you can test that the site is functional before changing the name servers.

Cool thanks. I changed the nameservers just a few hours ago and they have updated already! I think I will change them over to my new host just for ease of management, if I have 4 domain names I'd perfer to have them all with the one company.

So when switching over (when half way through your year of registration) does it cost anything or is it just a case of changing registration information etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Zascar wrote:
    So when switching over (when half way through your year of registration) does it cost anything or is it just a case of changing registration information etc?

You'll get charged by the new provider for the transfer, as they get charged for it immediately as well (except in the case of .co.uk if the new provider is a Nominet tag holder)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Note to hosting providers: please do not flaunt your services here, or else we will have to either close this forum or ban users. Ph3n0m has made the rules quite clear, thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement