Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samoyed Breeding

Options
  • 11-07-2006 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Looking for people interested in breeding pure bred samoyed male. if anyone is interested please PM me . 14 months old and has all necessary papers IKC registered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi,

has he got all the necessary health checks as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MO141278

He is fully up to date with shots and vaccines (next booster due in august)

PM me for anymore information

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm fully up to date with vacs as well ...plus I took an Aspirin this morning.

Shure ...I must be perfectly healthy :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

jules and peasant leave it out. why slam at people for such a post, it aint like any breeder or potential one will begin breeding from a post on the internet :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D or would they:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yep, they would. Ala: ooooh, your doggy is so nice and would match mine perfectly, let's make babies.

Heard it often enough ;).

And it wasn't Jules, it was meeeeeeeeee :D.

• Advertisement

oh ya sorry jules.
    :o:o

meant to say EGAR:mad: :mad:

I've been held up in the street by people asking to breed my dog(s) with theirs, as they would surely make lovely puppies :eek:

a disgrace so it is peasant, ive never experienced that thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

Guys, being a fellow samoyed owner, I have also found it difficult to find information about breeding in Ireland apart from the one club with very little information to date.

Its a pain to have to resort to reading up on british kennel club and american kennel clubs for information, they have good sources but it would nice to have a local flare.

I logged on here, to see about a bit of people networking to find fellow samoyed owners, considering the reception that MO got. Im not sure I would bother now.

Its all a little rich talking about appropriateness or otherwise of being approached on the street about breeding dogs, its far more civilised that your average nightclub after 1am involving the 2 legged variety....

MO, I'll be in touch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SusieBelle

If you can't be bothered to do all the background research before breeding your dog then you shouldn't be breeding it. It may be a pain but tons of research before you attempt to breed your dog is imperative.

Certain breeds of dogs are prone defects, you must know what the risks are in the breed you're interested in and have the dog tested accordingly. Your dog may be perfect now in your opinion but it may be a carrier of a defect or may later develop the defect.

E.g. Hip Dysplasia in Rotties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

Hi

Totally agree, I wouldnt imagine that anyone with a passion for animals would jump in without appropriate preparation.

Personally, I met a fellow samoyed owner on the street, we are now friends and the dogs play with each other regularly, we didnt dive into breeding these animals, even though we have plenty of history and paperwork, but its nice to meet like minded owners with the same day to day challenges.

My point about source of information had more to do with the fact that the british and american clubs have plenty of really useful information which in fact explained many of the samoyeds behaviours. On speaking to the samoyed club of ireland owner, the website with the same name apparently has nothing to do with the official club??? and that some of the information is inaccurate??

My main objection was the way that people on boards.ie tend to whale on the new guy rather than provide a few helpful pointers to get people started.

detritus wrote:

...rather than provide a few helpful pointers to get people started.

Started with what exactly?

Dabble in a "spot of breeding" for a change?

Have dog, will breed?

Detritus, the Samoyed like any other PB dog is not immune to genentic defects. If you have looked into breeding then you should be aware of this. IKC paper, worming and vaccinations are not enough to breed with a dog ;).

Samoyeds are prone to HD which is inherited. Another inherited problem is Progressive Retinal Atrophy. This disease is a gradual (progressive) degeneration of the cells of the retina. The eventual result is blindness. Again, a good breeder will have had the parents’ eyes checked.

A recently discovered genetic defect present in some Samoyeds, Siberians, and Malamutes causes impaired zinc absorption. The result is Zinc-Responsive Dermatosis, most often seen as a thin coat and scaly, crusty skin. While unsightly, it is easily treated with zinc sulfate supplements and high quality feed containing zinc. A similar (non-genetic) problem can result from feeding poor quality generic food.

Diabetes and hypothyroidism are also present in this breed.These diseases may be on the increase, or it may be a case of recognizing their presence more easily.

Nobody was unfriendly to OP. I just asked a question and got no satisfactory answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

jules and peasant leave it out. why slam at people for such a post, it aint like any breeder or potential one will begin breeding from a post on the internet :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D or would they:eek: :eek: :eek:

shinners be careful,.... i didnt say a god dam thing

ok just read the rest of the thread, and thank you for apology

i got my point across well enough in the other thread but if i didnt.....

if ppl want to go ahead and over breed dogs fine, on their own heads be it when it reduce them to decrepid, illness ridden visions of their former selves

sorry had to get one in there

jules ive nothing to be careful about keep petty threats to urself. it was a genuine mistake and i did apologise ok:mad: :mad:

it wasnt a threat and didnt mean to come across as one, just not a way to make friends by jumpin to conclusions....

and didnt i note that i had just read it full and corrected myself and thank you for correcting your mistake, dont turn this into a argument dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MO141278

I didn't realise this was going to create such a stink of a post..... if i had i wouldn't have bothered.... i just wanted to see if anyone was interested in if nothing else ....TALKING about breeding the breed dog.... instead i get a bunch of ..inside jokes and people fighting with one another....

i am fully aware of the conditions this particular breed faces....and have had my vet look over him and test...and treat...and whatever else that is required for him....i love my dog and take VERY good care of him....

i just haven't had a whole lot of luck finding someone to talk about the breeding options with..... the Irish Samoyed Club....while they say they are going to send me info...hasn't bothered ....must be with their own breeding...

i apologize for everyone getting in a heap about this... and won't bother with it anymore.....

thanks for the help everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Why breed the dog at all?

I don't see the point.

mo if you look after you dog and breed him well there is no problem

all we have is opinions on matters and at the end of the day we are nobodies.

if you want to breed your dog go ahead but just consider the consequences first and i dont mean that to be threating just make sure your can properly verify that there is no inbreeding down the lines, as far back as possible and also that the bitch you are breeding with is of good lines and age, all i will say is just dont breed for profit!!!!!

best of luck

jules i did apologise lets leave it at that and be friends;)
    mo
    " and what ever else is required"

im a breeder and before breeding you need to be more aware of waht it . involves to breed healthy dogs in a safe controlled environment.

the issue is over breeding and line breeding. i dont doubt you love and car for your dog but what you have to decise is why you want to breed? at the end of the day this is just a discussion and im sure youll decide if your going to bred or not. people here are only trying to create an awareness of the issues of breeding and give their opinions.

my apologies for going off thread. i do hope you find someone to discuss this with who has experience/breeds.

best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement