Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8 Glanmire bypass

Options
  • 11-07-2006 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

When I was in Cork I noticed that the Glanmire bypass of the Cork-Dublin dual carriageway was being resurfaced. Why is this? The surface wasn't in bad nick (at least I didn't think so), and even if it was, the road was only about 12 years old. Surely we should expect our road surfaces to last more than 12 years without falling apart?

Anybody have any information on this project?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

As far as i recall, this is the second time they've resurfaced it. I drive it everyday and parts of it were badly chewed up. I did think it was a bit ott doing whole stretch tho, driving to work thru the contraflow is a little pain. At least they're finished north bound side.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

When I was in Cork I noticed that the Glanmire bypass of the Cork-Dublin dual carriageway was being resurfaced. Why is this? The surface wasn't in bad nick (at least I didn't think so), and even if it was, the road was only about 12 years old. Surely we should expect our road surfaces to last more than 12 years without falling apart?

Anybody have any information on this project?
    12 years?? :eek: That's a very long time for the wearing course to last so I'd say the reply is correct and it has been resurfaced already. The entire subbase (a few feet down) on a busy UK motorway could be expected to require digging out and replacement every 20 years as it compacts and hence begins to rut. You can compact the materials in the subbase only so much at installation, then it continues compacting under the weight of traffic and eventually requires relaying. The subbase under the hard shoulder is typically nowhere near as deep as the main running lanes and hence it generally cannot simply be converted to a regular lane without works to the subbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

it's only 2 or 3 years max, since they'd relaid this entire section last. it was done around about the time the Watergrasshill section opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They did the southbound side a year or so back, and now they've done some work on the northbound, it needed doing in my view.

Mike.

Advertisement