Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scopes and Mildots

Options
  • 11-07-2006 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Not everyone likes mildot scopes ...but I do.
    Their most simple use is that they provide a number of handy reference dots for holding over a variety of distances .

I won't bore anyone with more details that a lot of you probably know anyway. Let's just assume that for handiness sake that the distance between dots is 3.5 inches @100yds , 7 inches @ 200 ..etc..
    The thing is though , on variable power scopes that relationship of distance to angle and inches only holds true at 10x magnification.

So my question is .. (eventually ) , is it correct to work on the principle that while angle of view remains constant , magnification is variable and if I had a 1-20x scope , it would measure 3.5 inches @ 100yds at 10x .. but 1.75 inches at @ 100yds at 20x.
    I think this logic would apply for any scope where it is set to mil at 10x ..but may go up to 18 ,24 or 32x power . Just another way of ranging an object of known height ,but using the variable power to provide handy size steps .

Comments

Advertisement