Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of buying some power tools on holidays in USA

Options
  • 11-07-2006 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

i presume that it is just a matter of buying a transformer and cutting cord and fitting the big yellow 110 volt receptacle on the cord

am i missing anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Do you assume mains and 110v are the same except that one plugs into 220 and the other plugs into a 110 transformer? Sorry not that simple.

Also check warranties may not be valid outside US, you might also have probs with clearance (security) at airport (US end especially).

I met a guy who told me he bought a step ladder + Garden Hose when on holidays in Germany - how mad is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

thanks for the reply a bit confused though

i have bought hifi equipment back before from america and using a high rated transformer they have worked perfectly still are

all site power tools work here on 110 volt using the big yellow transformer box this is what i am basing my purchase on maybe its not that straightforward but then what about all the UK sellers on ebay selling dewalt kit direct from america?

i think from memory that the american power tools are double insulated and use a polarised plug that will only fit in the us type power outlet one way can anybody clarify whether what i am proposing to do will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

mmm

just read one of the manuals on the american site for hilti

it says their tools are double insulated equipped with a polarised plug and not to remove the grounding plug or modify the plug in any way.
    double insulation eliminates the need for 3 wired grounded power cord and grounded power suply system

maybe better to leave plug alone and use one of these

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/pbright_vc2000.htm

or is this box doing the same as the yellow transformer we are more familiar with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hannah00

There is a difference in the rating of some appliances. In ireland it is 50 hz but in the U.S some appliances run on 60hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Buy in the US chop off the plug and fit a yellow 110v plug -no problemo.
    I did and all my 110v stuff works fine, it might be a little slower than the 60hz but I can't differentiate between 3300rpm and 3000 rpm on my senco collated screwgun:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I have a load of Ryobi cordless kit bought in US at a fraction of the price. Just put the yellow plug on the charger and off you go! Only prob is that Euro spec Ryobi is completely different to US, different battaries for one thing, also switch went in drill and local repair guy couldn't source it locally. Had to buy it online from US. He told me to expect to pay €25 for the switch, US price was $9! Rip-off Ireland is alive and well!

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement