Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Waterford Cinema

• 11-07-2006 2:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Its probably one of the worst, if not the worst cinema ive ever had the displeasure of being in.
    Im not going to blame the scum who sometimes try and ruin a movie talkin on their mobiles.

But the general $hite quality of how the place is run. Nearly 9 out of ten times when ever my friends and I go see a movie its usually out of focus for nearly the first 10 to 15 mins, in some of the worst cases ppl had to actually go to the staff/manager and tell them the movie was out of focus!
    Also a friend of mine said that at one of the screenings of Pirates of the Caribbean the lights went off (v early) completely when ppl were going to their seats and couldnt find where they were going/falling over ppl

Its either that or a blank screen but sound, or vice versa.
    Yet Cinemas in other parts of the country dont seem to have this prob, even in the US its almost a sence of pride that the place is run.

rant/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Don't worry, you won't have to put up with it for much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The same cinema is also known to have used copies of films from the North and the UK, with the BBFC certs . A big no-no if the Irish film censor found out.

They do seem to have problems controlling the Ballybeg massive that tends to poulate the matinee showings during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭JMcL

magick wrote:
    Its probably one of the worst, if not the worst cinema ive ever had the displeasure of being in.
    Agreed 100%!

I went to see "Wind That Shakes The Barley" at the weekend and came out with a headache. It was actually in focus for once, but any bright areas on the screen had this odd streaking, flashing effect which I've never had the mispleasure of seeing anywhere else.

Other things that bug be about that hole:
    • What is it with popcorn? If they couldn't be ar**d sweeping it up, could they at least put a bit less in the buckets. It's disgusting
    • 99% of the films they show have a target audience of 14 year old boys
    • Why do all the lights in the place have to go on the second the credits start to roll? They don't clean the place anyway so could they not just stay outside for a couple of minutes
    • Contrary, as somebody else said, the place is pitch dark during the ads, so it's impossible to find a seat
    • They're also one of the few cinemas I've come across that show the trailers before the ads. Also, attempting to avoid ads , I've been nabbed a couple of times when they've had neither trailers nor ads and missed the first 10 minutes of the film. Other cinemas seem to be able to tell you that the film starts immediately

I think I'm going to avoid and stick to DVDs until Railway Square is done. It's cheaper, better quality, and more comfortable.

/rant off

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

JMcL wrote:
    Agreed 100%!

I went to see "Wind That Shakes The Barley" at the weekend and came out with a headache. It was actually in focus for once, but any bright areas on the screen had this odd streaking, flashing effect which I've never had the mispleasure of seeing anywhere else.

Other things that bug be about that hole:
    • What is it with popcorn? If they couldn't be ar**d sweeping it up, could they at least put a bit less in the buckets. It's disgusting
    • 99% of the films they show have a target audience of 14 year old boys
    • Why do all the lights in the place have to go on the second the credits start to roll? They don't clean the place anyway so could they not just stay outside for a couple of minutes
    • Contrary, as somebody else said, the place is pitch dark during the ads, so it's impossible to find a seat
    • They're also one of the few cinemas I've come across that show the trailers before the ads. Also, attempting to avoid ads , I've been nabbed a couple of times when they've had neither trailers nor ads and missed the first 10 minutes of the film. Other cinemas seem to be able to tell you that the film starts immediately

I think I'm going to avoid and stick to DVDs until Railway Square is done. It's cheaper, better quality, and more comfortable.

/rant off

John

If you didnt notice It is mostly 14 year old boys going to the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Yeah... because of the stuff they show!

What you have here is a simple case of somebody running a cinema who doesn't believe in cinema. Whoever it is thinks that there is no money in cinemas unless you run them in to the ground by never spending money on them. This person does not think that any extra customers or revenue will result in making the cinema visually attractive or well run.

This person doesn't really think that adults go to the cinema, and that if they do, they would be so picky that it would be more cost effective to cater merely for 14yr olds that, by and large, have no standards and nothing else to do. And besides, if adults really liked the cinema, they'd have no choice but to go to the one on Patrick st.!

This is why I was so depressed when I heard that the cinema in railway square was going to be run by the same crowd of gormless wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭JMcL

merlante wrote:
    Yeah... because of the stuff they show!

Exactly. Go to Dublin, Cork or anyplace with a half decent cinema, and you'll find that there's more to cinema than the latest Tomb Raider clone, and no shortage of people willing to go to see them.

Whatever about the abysmal lack of choice in the programming, there's absolutely NO excuse whatsoever for the state of the place, out of focus projectors etc.
    merlante wrote:
    This is why I was so depressed when I heard that the cinema in railway square was going to be run by the same crowd of gormless wasters.

Oh no, say it ain't so! They couldn't run a piss up in a brewery never mind a cinema...

John

JMcL wrote:
    Oh no, say it ain't so! They couldn't run a piss up in a brewery never mind a cinema...

This is the word on the street anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭deisemum

Anyone know anything about the cinema that's going to open in Ardkeen near Godfathers Pizzas. I hope it's run by some other management. The one in Patrick street don't offer the same range as most other places. They wouldn't even show Brokeback Mountain which got great reviews.

Anyone know if the following is true because I've heard it on numerous occasions that the cinema in Patrick is over-run with rats. A 12 year old neighbour has just come in and told us that the cinema has had to close today because it was over run with them. Just the thoughts of it is enough to freak me out. Anyone else heard this

Yeah, I heard there was a rat "incident" a few weeks ago. Is it any surprise really when the place is such a filthy mess any time you go in there?

The one out in Ardkeen has talked about for years, but where is it? Wonder if McCann got at it? If the one in railway square in owned by the crowd in patrick st., the one in Ardkeen would do some business!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ahhh so im not the only one who hates Waterford Cineplex. :D

I dont like the lights going off during ads / trailers. Not everybody watches them, most people come in during those times or just talks through them.

The sound is ****e. Its either crackled, to loud or to low.

The picture is always dodgy - most of the time out of focus.

Its rare, and I used to go every Friday night, that everything goes well. Something always breaks, goes out of focus, lights stay on, film doesnt come on (the ads/trailers are on a seperate "film") etc.

Oh and a low of the time, there drinks are either stale or they dont have any left.

A friend of mine went into the Cinema there last week, Friday night I think, to see Pirates of the Carebean (great film btw). He smelt smoke and was just getting the lads to leave when the alarms went of. No staff came in to assist, they all just fled through the Fire Exits which were thick with black smoke. Those extra lighting they have never activated either (tho, I think thats only when theres a power cut?). They went outside and saw a machine was cleaning road-markings, and was causing the smoke to enter the building and hence set of the alarm. No staff member came out side to assure anybody, they just assumed it was safe and went back in. Eventualy someone came to assist and said to "carry on" with the film and that they were calling the Fire Service to check if the place was OK to be in. The film continued and thats the last they heard.

The place is a ****e hole, and the only reason why there getting any business is cause there the only ones in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

mod edit

please try posting it again in a language which most of us will understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No text speak please! This is not bebo. arrrragggghhhhh! :mad:

Here here on the text speak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Ah lads...that's Minto from down around boy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

in4therant.doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Now, is this any better?

As i tried to say earlier waterford cinema is a piece of sh*t! Last summer they f*cked up unleashed and in fairness they gave us a refund and a cheap apology, but its one year later and they still are sh*t! Last nite i went to see Pirates of the Caribean 2 and after the ads and trailers they took forever to loaad the film and then the first 5-10 mins da f*ckin film the picture was either squashed or only half the picture was on the screen!!

P.S. not everyone in tramore says "boy" at the end of every sentance, so don't use stereotypes and i won't use "txt" language

Edit: Apologies for the amount of cursing, i was annoyed at having to type it again!

no problem, lets keep it to a minimum in future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Minto wrote:
    Now, is this any better?

As i tried to say earlier waterford cinema is a piece of sh*t! Last summer they f*cked up unleashed and in fairness they gave us a refund and a cheap apology, but its one year later and they still are sh*t! Last nite i went to see Pirates of the Caribean 2 and after the ads and trailers they took forever to loaad the film and then the first 5-10 mins da f*ckin film the picture was either squashed or only half the picture was on the screen!!

you said it and a half there boy!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'm surprised that Mossy has not suggested this yet.

If people are really pissed of with patrick st, why not hop into your car and head down to the new state of the art Cinema down in Dungarven. It really is worth the drive down. Top class and NO rats either.

• Advertisement

not a bad cinema at all tbh. i would recommend it highly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

anyone know which company owns/runs the cineplex?

Aquos76 wrote:
    I'm surprised that Mossy has not suggested this yet.

If people are really pissed of with patrick st, why not hop into your car and head down to the new state of the art Cinema down in Dungarven. It really is worth the drive down. Top class and NO rats either.

No rats? What? Ah well, I suppose you can't have everything. It is only Dungarvan I suppose -- you don't get rats for a population of only 8,000, you have to go to the big city for that. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

magick wrote:
    anyone know which company owns/runs the cineplex?
    The Ward Anderson group. They own most of the screens in Ireland, about 75%, and about 50% of the actual cinemas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Rats as big as sheep, I tell thee!

Rats as big as sheep, I tell thee!

Jasus you'd want to bring a hurley into the cinema with ye to bate the feckers back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

its quite comforting to have a small, furry disease-riddled sentinel of hell nibbling on your shin bone while you watch the latest flicks on a friday. its just like tramore boy, decks 'n' all boy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I once went to see a film there and the showed the wrong film for about 5 mins before I went out and told them it was the wrong film. Another time there was no sound at all, somebody again had to tell them. On the funny side I went to the special screening of the film Breakdown (Kurt Russell) in aid of People in Need, the bloody thing broke down 3 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

My major quip is that ALOT of *big* movies dont even come there...one that springs to mind at thge minute is brokeback mountain!
    i mewan wtf- i was oscar nominated (lets leave out the fat that it was arguably overrated!) yet it didnt ever come to waterford...

• Advertisement
Advertisement