Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

external hd, ntfs

• 11-07-2006 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

i bought a 300gb external hd and it came with two ntfs partitions.
    one around 100gb the other around 200gb.

my question is this. is the drive partitioned in this way for a reason?

ie, what is the max size of an ntfs partition?, and what is the performance impact of having one large partition?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

NTFS can grow to 2TB afaik, maybe even bigger. I don't think there's much of a performance impact on a 300GB partition compared to a 200GB and a 100GB either. I have a bunch of 250GB disks that are just 1 big partition each and they've all been fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Stephen wrote:
    NTFS can grow to 2TB afaik, maybe even bigger. I don't think there's much of a performance impact on a 300GB partition compared to a 200GB and a 100GB either. I have a bunch of 250GB disks that are just 1 big partition each and they've all been fine.

2TB for FAT32

2^64 or 16 Giga X Giga Bytes for NTFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

cool.

well, i checked the hd and the two partitions are actually FAT32 :)

i think i will leave them as is so that i can read/write from linux without the possibility of having any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Linux can be forced to read/write to NTFS using windows files and a little program but its a little difficult to setup.

Advertisement