Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play ground surface

Options
  • 11-07-2006 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I'll be setting up a play area in a new house fairly soon and I'm looking for an idea on what surface to use. There will be a swing set, a climbing frame and a slide in it for kids from ages 1 to 4.

Previously we just had the kit on the lawn but I'm looking to increase safety somewhat and cut down on the amount of green stuff to be cut (particularily where there is stuff to be cut around).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hello MarVeL,
    The most economical and natural looking surface would be a minimum 10 inch (25cm) layer of bark mulch.
    It looks nice, has plenty of give and is bouncy.
    You of course will need to fork it over 3 or 4 times a year as traffic will cause some compaction in it.
    Topping it up every year with a few bags full will also maintain it.
    When the children grow up and you have no need for a playground you can then spread the much on your beds and borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I've been looking at bark alright. My only concern with it is that we'll lose near a foot off the play equipment in bedding it in. Or could we sit it on the top of the bark? It's all TP stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

delly wrote:

I sent them an e-mail and gave them a call. Did not even have the courtesy to reply.

I'm going to go with the bark as I've seen it done. It looks great and is very child friendly.
    On another thread, someone mentioned that bark can be a haven for slugs etc, I know they are harmless for kids but does anyone know a way of keeping them out without using chemicals?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

squire1 wrote:
    I sent them an e-mail and gave them a call. Did not even have the courtesy to reply.
    Thats a shame, but hey, its there loss.

• Advertisement

Agreed, I have a policy of not chasing suppliers that don't return calls. It's never a good sign. Thanks for the link anyway delly.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

squire1 wrote:
    On another thread, someone mentioned that bark can be a haven for slugs etc, I know they are harmless for kids but does anyone know a way of keeping them out without using chemicals?

Try surrounding the bark play area with a 1ft wide ring of sharp grit or gravel.
    Effectively a moate. :)
    Slugs and snail hate to crawl across it as it cuts their soft underbellies.
    You will of course have to provide some sort of buffer to prevent the gravel entering the lawn or play area.

Effectively a moate. :)
    QUOTE]

A moate...brilliant. The young fella will love that. Excellent idea, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

May I ask, what is wrong with a regular grass lawn as a play surface?

I plan on putting in the usual swing/slide/playhouse stuff and grass gets worn away with regular use leaving clay that is as hard as rock. When this comes in contact with 24 month old skull.....not a pretty sight. Plus the wife said I have to.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Heitons in Bray( and probably the other stores) have a "rubber stone", just for the job you have in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

squire1 wrote:
    Plus the wife said I have to.:rolleyes:

Oh,
    say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

My own excuse isn't quite as good. Apart from the health and safety aspect I just can't face cutting yet more grass, especially when you have to manouvere around and through obstacles. I'm bad enough at gardening as it is without the added disincentive :)

The rubber stuff may be interesting though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I would never allow children to play in a barked area, somehow do not fancy the little ones picking bits of nasty cats faeces etc an dthere's all those medical problems if it comes into contact with eyes. Little ones like tasting things too, but also need to explore and they do enjoy it with stones but don't like falling on them. Mommmies and Daddies certainly don't like too much falling and cutting either. My God if they accidentally break a window well no harm, easily replaced. But what if they have a fall-out, and do kids have fall-outs and somehow grits ends up in the eyes of little Johnny's best friend. And what will the neighbours say about well the grits are no playthings! Oh yeah! Yeah they're there to keep the slugs out and spoiling the communal cat toilet.

What might happen if someone falls and bangs their head ? You'll be banging your head in the off season when your tormented by the kids wanting to use the play area, but it is all mushy and slimey and the missus giving you grief
    over all the brown footprints around the kitchen floor. Oh and windy days that cheap nasty bark is blowing around and there's less where it use to be and the dry weather comes around again and the kids start having accidents and hurting their heads on the baldy patch where the slide ends.

Vicious circle with no end in sight? Until a neighbour tells you about the wonderful synthetic surface that is made recycled truck tyres, available in a range of colours and thicknesses (to suit different playing heights) , easy to install, a doddle to keep clean, and is available here in Dublin:

CELUPLAST

Unit 52 ,
    Baldoyle Industrial Estate ,
    Baldoyle ,
    Dublin 13 .

Ph: 01 832 6210
    Fax: 01 832 6277
    Email: info@celuplast.com

PS I've no connection with this Co but we've installed this product and it is absolutely brilliant. But don't take my word, ask the slugs and cats, they're probably busy in the newest communal toilet, until it becomes too congested and need go searching for the next one.

Thanks pataman, I'll look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

delly wrote:

Seen something similar in Alantic in Galway. Was toying with the idea of using it as a cheap patio also. No idea what price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

Was thinking of getting something similar for our child she's only 18 mths so wanted to get it now for a couple of years use out of it.

Found the large rubber patio tiles in the Coldwinter garden store ( it's also known as the M50 garden shop has loadds of xmas lights at that time of year ).

it was gonig at €50 for a metre sq not sure how that works out against the other places only had the green tiles in stock.

Must admit they do see easy enough to lay even with my skills.

Advertisement