Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor old Robbie Baggio

• 11-07-2006 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq0MXEOZfIU&search=divine%20ponytail

The above compilation is further proof that he was greatest Italian player of his generation, and possibly of all time (won World and European Player of the Year in '93). Here's a guy who played and scored for Italy in 3 World Cups and carried that team in 94. While I admit Italy are worthy champions having played above themselves, they had much better teams throughout the 90s but for some reason always seemed to bottle it when it mattered...

Italia '90 failed to beat a poor Argentina and lost on penalties, USA '94 penalties again, Euro '96 played really well but still failed to get out of the group stages from the group of death with Zola missing a descisive peno against Germany, France '98 outplayed the host nation in the QF but lost on pens yet again, Euro 2000 1-0 up in the 4th minute of injury time Cannavaro misses a header and Toldo lets the ball slip under his arms...

Poor old Baggio, along with Maldini and Baresi, must be feeling slightly bitter after seing this current side with not a striker of note eclipse all their achievements. I know I do.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Absolutely fantastic player. Nearly every goal in that compilation was top drawer, and I love that one where he controls the ball, bringing it around the keeper at the same time. Extremely underrated player IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd hardly say underrated, I mean who has said he wasn't a great player?

Him and Romario were my favourite players in World Cup 94 when I was only 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

The question George Hamilton would ask is... "Is he as good as his brother Dino" :)....

Don't know if you can claim that someone who changed clubs for a world record fee, and was fifa world player of the year can be "extremely underrated" though.

Just imagine how good he could have been though if he hadn't had such injury problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

The only game that I saw him made look like an ordinary player was when Paul McGrath had him in his back pocket in USA '94!

Baggio was one of the main reasons I tuned into Italian soccer on Channel 4 in the early-mid 90s. True ledge. Great footage, up there with Bestie me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Great player but i'd feel more sorry for Maldini he played for italy for ages, 126 caps over a 14 year period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Was a fantastic player one of the true greats. He was magic to watch at times. I think when alot of people think of him the first things that comes to mind is the penalty that he ballooned over the bar.

Thats why i think its so sad what happened to Zidane while i always think he will be remember for being great the first thing that pops into peoples head in maybe 10 years times from now ....... oh yeah remember he got sent off in his last match for a headbutt remember that !!

But i think true football fans know that both of these were legends of their era :)

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Great clip. Great player! Another Italian robbed of the golden ball (should have got it in 94).

BTW he certainly like to change clubs often! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Baggio is true legend status. For me there are 3 players that stand out since the days of Diego. Zi Zou, Baggio and Maldini. 3 superstars and genuine World Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

iregk wrote:
    Baggio is true legend status. For me there are 3 players that stand out since the days of Diego. Zi Zou, Baggio and Maldini. 3 superstars and genuine World Class.

Ronaldo (Brazilian) 3 times world player of the year in that time didn't stand out a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Really enjoyed seeing him play in USA 94 alright, a beautiful player. Agreed with Unearthly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

kinaldo wrote:
    Ronaldo (Brazilian) 3 times world player of the year in that time didn't stand out a bit?

I know what your saying but when I think of Ronaldo now I think of fat over paid over hyped has been. For me that has taken him out of the legend relm. There was once a time when I thought he could be considered for one of the all time best strikers, before all the crap happened.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

iregk wrote:
    I know what your saying but when I think of Ronaldo now I think of fat over paid over hyped has been. For me that has taken him out of the legend relm. There was once a time when I thought he could be considered for one of the all time best strikers, before all the crap happened.
    I know what you are saying, but would you take Maradona out for being a coke head? Ronaldo is definately one of the greatest players from the past 10 years. I mean just have a look at some of these goals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iXOMPo7cEI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Yea, by that logic Maradona 94 should take him out of the equation

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Baggio was a far better player than Zidane IMHO, particularly at club level. whlie Zizou could turn it on at a moment's notice when he really wanted, and was always a man for the big occasion, he had nothing like the consistency of Baggio, who was every bit the dribbler, passer and set-piece taker of the Frenchman, but with the all-important bonus of scoring goals - hundreds of them, from that same number 10 position. I could never understand how Juventus could let go a genius of his quality (and how the Milan clubs could compete to see who could arse up his career more) to accommodate Del Piero, at best a pale imitation, a flash-in-the-pan who consistently failed to make the difference in the big games.

Perhaps the best testaments to Baggio's greatness were how he managed to keep Gianfranco Zola, OBE, himself a fantastically gifted player in the shadows and the way he came back out in the sun when called to replace a floundering Del Piero and run the show at the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,512 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Remember back in the day, Ronaldo was the most sought after player in Championship manager for your team?

Back on-topic anyway, Baggio was a great player. Bein a bit too young to remember watchin him, the videos I have seen of him are great. Need more players like around now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Probably the best free kick taker ive ever seen.

Always remember wathcing football italia and if Juve ever got a free kick around the box the opposing team were almost renaged into conceeding a goal.

Ronaldo too today a distant shadow of his former self but what a player he was then. Rooney take note!!

Advertisement