Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heaviest Loss and Greatest Wins?

Options
  • 11-07-2006 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

As anyone knows with gambling, it really is a rollercoaster with fantastic wins one day and crushing defeats the next. My worse ever loss was at Clay Courts earlier on this year when Marco Baghdatis was playing Vincent Spadea. I was super impressed with Baghdatis' form so I put my entire month gambling allowance on him (€100). Foolishly though, I neglected to take into consideration that Baghdatis had played 11 sets in two days before that thanks to the Davis Cup. Sure enough, he retired in the second set and my €100 disapeared almost as quickly as it was transferred into my betting account.

My greatest gambling moment though came just recently at Wimbledon. Ivan Ljubicic was up against Dimitri Tursunov, Ljubicic went up two sets in quick sucession and Tursunov was playing pants. However, those of you in tennis circles will know that Tursunov is a fighter, I got in on him at 25/1 with in the running betting for €10. Sure enough (and after one hairy moment!) he came through and went on to win the match 3-2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

heaviest loss was when i threw 700 quid on chelsea to win fulham and they lost 1-0:( .greastest win was a 5 or 6 game aclr on the eircom league which netted me 2 grand on a 100 euro stake:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pigheads greatest ever Gambling feat was when he won a 1000 quid on Manchester Utd beating Arsenal 4-2 a couple of years back. John O Shea got the 4th goal with 10 mins to go and then in the very last minute Scholesy cleared a header off the line to save my bet. Had a tenner on it at 100-1.

Also had a tenner on Red Marauder in the National 5 or 6 years ago. Only won about 160 quid but it was special as I was pretty broke beforehand and was planning a boring Saturday night in. Ended up visiting a mate down in Limerick with my winnings and had one of the best weekends of my life.

My worst result was earlier on last season when PSG played Marseille in a French League game. Word was spreading around a few gambling forums that Marseille were bringing their reserve team and u21's to PSG and were leaving their 1st team at home because of security fears. By Thursday evening it was pretty much confirmed that this was the case so I headed down to Paddy Powers early Friday morning and put 300 on PSG at 11-8.

Spent the day reading excitedly about other gamblers taking advantage of the bookies lack of knowledge of the situation. Was so confident I went back to Paddy's to put more on. Man behind the counter said PSG were not available for betting anymore. They'd finally twigged. Went across the road to Boyles and unbelievably they took my money. YOU FOOLS I THOUGHT! Free money for Pighead. So overll I had 450 quid riding on the game. A decent PSG team against a reserve Marseille outfit who were struggling even with their 1st team. What could go wrong?

Fcuking everything went wrong. Marseille packed 10 men behind the ball and PSG gave the most inept performance I have ever seen. They managed about 2 shots on goal the whole game and it finished 0-0 leaving me sick as a dog and switching my phone off(I'd told anyone who'd listen to put their money on PSG). Definitely the worst day of Pigheads gambling career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Biggest loss was at this year's Cheltenham where i lost around 1500. Biggest win would be Cheltenham '04, where I won 1600 in the bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Paddy Irishman

Greatest Win: Champions League 2005, Backed Liverpool in running v AC Milan €8 @ 29/1 = €232 :D

Greatest Loss: Champions League 2005, Laid Liverpool to win outright prior to games v Juventus and Chelsea to lose €224. Seemed like a good idea at the time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

:biggest loss - a few years back £250 on Red Liason 8/11 favourite.. b@stard pulled up!

biggest win - Epson again a few years ago £1 yankee pulled out £824 happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Nothing too drastic for me.

Biggest win must've been 500 off Lordi winning the Eurovision. Bookies didn't see that coming.

Biggest loss I can remember was 150 on a horse in the early nineties. Don't even remember it's name. Altho I managed to go down 100 last Friday on my latest system :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Biggest lose has only been 20euro i think.

Biggest win has been 350euro on west ham beating boro in the Fa cup semi-fianl this year, great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Biggest loss....25 euro on Italy to beat USA in the world cup:o

Biggest win....not really sure. Don't really bet large amounts but made about 45 euro from Cheltenham this year with my balance starting at 1.40.
    Also had a few nice accumulators during the world cup until i stopped betting on it following the italy debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

Biggest Loss: In my first few months of using betfair, I lost close to €1000 backing and laying on things I did not understand. I consider it money well spent though, as I certainly wont be making them same mistakes twice.
    My worst single loss was €200 while trading. I had an idea the price would come in, and wanted to back the horse for €200, then lay it for the same amount after the price came in, thus ensuring a free bet. I duly backed the horse, only for the missus to come in moaning about her day at work or some lark :mad: . When I looked back at the screen, not only had I missed the price coming in, the market had went in-running, and by the time I tried to lay, the horse had fallen, and it could not lay it off. I watched €200 go down the drain for the chance of winning around €10.:eek: Needless to say, I only ever trade when there is no-one in now.

Biggest win was a few years ago, when I done my first ever each-way double, with one of the horses at around 12/1 and the other around 16/1. Both won :) I cant remember how much I won but it was a few hundred in old money. I thought each-way doubles were the best thing since sliced bread, and went on to lose about half of it on further each way doubles.

Some lessons learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Jesus i am disgraced at the amounts i have won and lost in a single Day if that is peoples biggests wins and losses !!!!!!!!!!!

Believe me would feel ashamed to say how much !! But never actually lost huge money that wasn't won gambling so live by the sword die by it i suppose :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Gambling feat was when he won a 1000 quid on Manchester Utd beating Arsenal 4-2 a couple of years back

Guy I used to work with put 30k, (yes 30 grand) on Man U in that match at 3-1.....:eek: some heartstopper game eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

MadsL wrote:
    Guy I used to work with put 30k, (yes 30 grand) on Man U in that match at 3-1.....:eek: some heartstopper game eh?

Thats more like now i am starting to feel better no were near 30 grand .... come on keep them coming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

MadsL wrote:
    :eek: :eek: enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Lumped $500 on Italy when they were 1-0 up against the USA having also backed them heavily prematch.

Sweetest win was in Cheltenham, I had won a $1 satelite to win the trip over with bluesquare and then they gave us a £100 free bet each, my friend knew nothing about horses so I put the 2 bets on - £50 e/w on Hedgehunter and £50 e/w on War Of Attrition.

My poker wins and losses are far higher though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Biggest win was maybe €400 on the dogs first day out
    didnt have a clue and wanted to back 2 dogs each way.....
    yer wan behind the counter asked did I mean forecast and I said yeah
    stuck 20 quid on think I was back each to place and they came in 1&2..

Biggest Loss.....€12,500 final table of WSOP qualifer on PPP, KK preflop busted by a rivered set of jacks :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Lost 1,000 IRISH pounds in 1983
    (wonder how much that is in real money now?) on a spread bet.
    Didn't cut the position as I thought it would come good :o
    It took me about a year to pay it back to the Bank.

Biggest single win I've won was over 3,000.

Still down buckets though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jaydee323

I noticed your post descibing a tennis match in which Baghdatis retired in the second set. I wonder if you realise that a large number of bookmakers VOID tennis bets on INCOMPLETE matches. Perhaps your account is still in credit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Biggest loss was 8pts on New Zealand -11.5 in the first test this summer. They won by 11. :o

Don't usually back long shots or accas, having said that I got 4 draws on the English coupon one weekend last season, that was a 20/1 winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

jaydee323 wrote:
    I noticed your post descibing a tennis match in which Baghdatis retired in the second set. I wonder if you realise that a large number of bookmakers VOID tennis bets on INCOMPLETE matches. Perhaps your account is still in credit!
    On betfair.com, they only VOID the bet if the first set isn't completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Biggest loss .... £715 on Borgia at 16/1 in the Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe (3rd)
    Biggest win .... €420 on Sir Percy at 16/1+ 2006 English Derby. Won €7,000+
    Biggest bet .... €1,100 at 4/11 USA to beat Portugal, 2002 World Cup when leading 3-1. They won 3-2.
    Biggest odds single win .... Heemanela at about 95/1 (Tote) at the Curragh.
    Biggest odds double win .... €10 Choisir 25/1, Zafeen 10/1 Royal Ascot 2003 for €2860 (and had €20 singles on each.)
    Biggest treble win .... €30 yielded €1100 at Leopardstown

Biggest disappointments ....
    £50 win double 1998 English Oaks/Derby .... Shantoush 20/1 (1st); City Honours 11/1 (2nd) (head)
    £20 accumulator Curragh .... 4/7 (1st); 14/1 (1st) 12/1 (1st); 5/2 fav (4th).
    £250 at 100/1 win Thomas Bjorn British Open golf (2nd)

Pressure
    Having first five winners in a six horse Super Heinz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JoeSixpack

i know how ya feel opr. i generally on one game and i bet big.

Biggest win was Italy v Ukraine put €2000 on italy and won 1200

have made about 10 of these type of bets and the closed i came to a lose was when Italy drew with Switzerland in a freindly before the world cup.

had €2000 on Italy but i had it as draw no bet so got my money back

phewwww!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Best win came when I was a student and found a betting slip in March '95 that I had placed in September. It was an accumulator for the following teams to win te league that season:

Prem: Blackburn
    1st: Middlesboro
    2nd: Birmingham
    Scots: Rangers

that sweet £2 bet won 800

Advertisement