Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passage West

Options
  • 11-07-2006 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Anyone from this area or know anything about it, thinking of moving down there but wondering if there are any areas i should avoid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I basically grew up in Passage because my aunt lives down there. I think personaly that it's a grand place, but it has it's problems. Like the town itself is a terrible place to go drinking and that. The kind of place where when you walk in everyone says who's that. where exactly were you thinking of moving to? Also the bus service is terrible so if you don't have a car I wouldn't bother TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

areas to avoid;

1. Passage West

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've been a member of a Taekwon Do club that's been established in St. Peter's School for approx 20 years (the club that is, not me). The instructor feels that Passage is the kind of town where it's hard to maintain a sense of community. People would rather travel into Douglas etc rather than support the local stuff.

Though hopefully, that will change with the construction of the new supermarket and all the new houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

thinking of moving into the area around St. Peters school, community spirit even though i think all that stuff is great i wouldnt really mind once i got on with my neighbour initially. I was more concerned with anti-social behaviour etc, i travel a lot with work and was concerned about my girlfriend staying there on her own at night. So hopefully that sort of thing isnt a huge issue down there

Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

dudara wrote:
    I've been a member of a Taekwon Do club that's been established in St. Peter's School for approx 20 years (the club that is, not me). The instructor feels that Passage is the kind of town where it's hard to maintain a sense of community. People would rather travel into Douglas etc rather than support the local stuff.

Though hopefully, that will change with the construction of the new supermarket and all the new houses.

and forgot to say i did taekwondo for 6 years in the northside of the city but gave it up three years ago so maybe of everything goes ok a comeback could be on the cards.

Around St. peter's is a grand place to stay. I used to live in Ardmore Est. ( go one the square :) ) and although it has it's lunatics, one man tried to hit this woman with a poker because she was constantly sending her kids to annoy him, most of the people are very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Up past St Peter's is the nicest area in Passage West. Although according to Passage West residents, Glenbrook is the 'posh' part! I used to live near there and personally I hate the town (well village really). It's dirty and depressing and everyones knows everyone else. It also floods a lot! I think if you're going to move out that way you should move to Monkstown. Oh and the Bus Service is terrible!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

rymus wrote:
    areas to avoid;

1. Passage West
    Cruel, cruel man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

its got a thriving sinn féin following as far as i know.

monkstown is proably nicer but the difference in house pricing would be massive.

• Advertisement

ohh ya lots of sinn fein heads there and monkstown would be better. He he Glenbrook IS the posh part :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I used to go to a lot of Political Meetings (not SF!!!) in the Passag / Monkstown/ Glenbrook area and I found the locals were lovely people. Yes, some of Passage looks a bit grimey - but you can see that it's being worked on and as more houses/apartments go up that will in turn lead to a bigger community and hopefully community spirit. Pubs in Monkstown are really nice - so if you don't want to drink in Passage Pubs then walk a bit further (OK a lot further) to Monkstown - that place is always buzzing, especially in the summer. I mean every area has it's good and bad bits no matter how "desirable" the address/post code is. So I'd say go for it. I drive through the area a lot when I get the car ferry across to Cobh and I've never felt spooked in the area late at night. I prefer to be somewhere like Passage/Monkstown/Glebrook than Douglas - you're in the harbour and have lovely views, walkways vs. Douglas - just one big concrete village now and it's practically part of the city. Good Luck!!!

Advertisement