Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Possible solution for the Crazy driving

Options
  • 11-07-2006 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭

At the moment, I am sick of trying to avoid all of the stupid moves that people make while driving, forcing me to carry out avoiding action (pulling out on front of me, changing lane forcing me to brake, etc).

I am just wondering if this would work as a solution to the crazy driving. I was thinking of buying a 500e euro car with 3 months NCT, preferably a big old tank of a car.

The solution for the crazy driving would be this. I would not carry out and more avoidance manuvers and emergency braking. If the other party are wrong, simply plough straight into them.

Sure it will hurt, but maybe it'll teach some of them a lesson.

Am I wrong for thinking of such a solution? Comments please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Surely they'll just claim off your insurance. It'd be hard to prove they were in the wrong if you plough into them from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Report them to the cops. If theres a squad car anywhere nearby they'll pull em. A stern ticking from a guard might just make them slow down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I often thought that same buy a big jeep, lass them out of it, but honestly this is not the solution.

Take the plate no. ring the gardas and report them for danagerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ianobrien wrote:
    The solution for the crazy driving would be this. I would not carry out and more avoidance manuvers and emergency braking. If the other party are wrong, simply plough straight into them....

...Am I wrong for thinking of such a solution? Comments please.

Unforutunately I think your plan has one fatal flaw. I think that you are supposed to drive to "avoid" an accident even if the other person is wrong.

Therefore, if instead of braking because someone pulls into your lane, you hit them, without attempting to avoid them, then you will be deemed to be at fault rather than them despite them essentially "causing" the accident.

However, I do think that the end result of your plan might end up proving fruitful, because although they will be claiming from your insurance, they will still have been involved in an accident that they assumed they would not have been involved in.

Best/Worst case, there are two (or more) people off the road, all of whom are intent at causing accidents to "teach people a lesson".

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ibanezjem

actually i thought fo something similar a while ago except i'd ditch the insurance and just ram the foreign heaps of sh•te and the aul white corrolla's off the road, not as if they have valid insurance either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ive decided to have a camera in the car at the ready. It's seriously out of control now. Some drivers have no patience either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

The solution for the crazy driving would be this. I would not carry out and more avoidance manuvers and emergency braking. If the other party are wrong, simply plough straight into them.

TBH, it might be better to adapt your driving style. Expect and anticipate people to do stupid things, position yourself accordingly and you will be a lot less stressed. Its much less likely taht you will need to take any evasive action.

http://www.irishadvancedmotorists.ie/

^ Well worth the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I got so fed up with muppets having no regard for other road users during my daily commute (80+ miles through town in the morning, M50 in the evening) that when it came time to change my company car I opted for a big ass jeep.

This solves the problem of people cutting in front of you, trying to squeeze in from the wrong lane of traffic, or just about any d**king around that a lot of driver's do. By positioning myself fairly agressively in the correct lanes there is very little these a**holes can do - except to get in behind me. If there is any contact then I'm in the correct lane and the excuse of "oh I didn't see you there" can hardly be used against a 2 Ton lump of Japense Pig Iron with dayglo graphics plastered on it.

Works particulaly well in the morning when me an the wife drive in convoy with CB radios!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Thanks for the replies. I partly guessed that most of the replies would be "Learn to Avoid", "Report to the Garda" and "If you don't brake, you're in the wrong"

With the learn to anticipate plan, fair point, but people will still pull out in front of me. I am sick of reporting the stuff to the Garda, and it seems that nothing is ever done about it. With the "You're wrong of you don't brake" line, what would happen to me if some prat pulled out in front of me, I stop in time but I'm rear ended, all because some prat pulled out, and his car is undamaged!!!

Ta for the replies, keep them coming and rant over (nearly)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

R.O.R wrote:
    I got so fed up with muppets having no regard for other road users during my daily commute (80+ miles through town in the morning, M50 in the evening) that when it came time to change my company car I opted for a big ass jeep.

On the basis that if you can't beat 'em join 'em?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I opted for a big ass jeep

Great, so now you're one of those assholes aggressively driving oversized vehicles in an urban setting.

Congratulations on adding to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Thanks for the contructive criticism Anan and Magpie - but it seems you both read in to my comments what you wanted to read - not what was said.

I position myself aggresively in the correct lane. This stops people who think queing is above them delaying me further on my already ridiculously long journey.

And the actual amount of Urban driving in a oversize vehicle is very little, and done very early in the morning. Doesn't half chug the fuel and probably spits out tons of carcinogens so hopefully I'm pi55ing off the greens as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

but people will still pull out in front of me

Hell yes they will, but you will see it sooner and TBH get used to it to such a degree that it wont bother you half as much. Lower stress level, fitter, happier, more productive life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

R.O.R wrote:
    Thanks for the contructive criticism Anan and Magpie - but it seems you both read in to my comments what you wanted to read - not what was said.

I didn't read anything into your post, I simply responded to it. Frankly, it surprises me that you think people are less likely to cut in on an SUV than on a car. An SUV, like a truck, will always be an easy target for lane-hoppers, as they know that it's not nimble or accelerative enough to do much about it. Additionally, SUVs tend to be driven by those of a shall we say nervous disposition, making them of course even more of an easy target.
    R.O.R wrote:
    I position myself aggresively in the correct lane. This stops people who think queing is above them delaying me further on my already ridiculously long journey.

I'm curious to know what you mean by "position myself aggressively in the correct lane". It sounds a lot like tailgating in an SUV to me, but I'm hoping I've misunderstood?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ianobrien wrote:
    With the "You're wrong of you don't brake" line, what would happen to me if some prat pulled out in front of me, I stop in time but I'm rear ended, all because some prat pulled out, and his car is undamaged!!!

In that case, the person who drives into you is in the wrong because they did not take the road conditions and or other drivers actions into account in their road positioning.

You would claim off their insurance.

However,

The person who instigated the accident, could be sought in connection with it (by the 3rd driver and or their insurance company) because they for one, caused and then (assumingly) left the scene of an accident. That though, is entirely a Garda/insurance company issue. You are essentially (mostly) in the clear because you were not at fault (unless it can be shown that you did not act in accordance with the Rules of the road and were driving carelessly)

Hope that makes some sense.

As for
    R.O.R wrote:
    By positioning myself fairly agressively in the correct lanes there is very little these a**holes can do

Why do you feel the need to drive "Agressively"? In your big macho dayglo jeep?

Do you really have to compensate for something? At the end of the day, you are just as stuck in traffic as the rest of the cages around you.

I have read your posts (completely) and while I have no problem with your choice of vehicle, I do believe like other posters here that your agressive stance only serves to compound the problem.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Padwick

The Gardaí won't want to know anyway unless there's a few bucks to be made out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ianobrien wrote:
    I am sick of reporting the stuff to the Garda, and it seems that nothing is ever done about it.
    Write to the Assistant Garda Commissioner for your area and complain about the inaction. I did this a few months ago. My letter was forwarded to a Division Inspector who sent some of his guys out to the junctions to observe and make reports (they gave out some penalty too!). Then he called me in and we discussed them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

On the topic of people cutting in front of trucks/vans/buses etc..

I see it almost daily on the quays in Dublin where idiots in cars think they can squeeze in front of larger vehicles like buses or trucks, yeah sure they cant accelerate as fast but they cant stop as fast either. :rolleyes:

Sure enough almost once a week there is some car pinned under a truck/bus because they thought they could nip in front of it no problem..

Tis very funny to see, the assh*le driver of the car standing there scratching their head and looking at their car which is in ****e, sitting half way between lanes and a bus/truck buried into the side of it. I can imagine them thinking of the insurance bill they are gonna get after repairing their car and a €150k truck or double decker bus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

pclancy wrote:
    Report them to the cops. If theres a squad car anywhere nearby they'll pull em. A stern ticking from a guard might just make them slow down a bit.
    Most dangerous manoeuvres I see have nothing to do with speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

pclancy wrote:

What country are you talking about here where the police punish incompitent drivers? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Dr Pepper wrote:
    What country are you talking about here where the police punish incompitent drivers? :rolleyes:
    Based on a story a co-worker told me it could be Ireland...
    Co-worker was heading north on the M1. Some idiot cuts across him dangerously (from outside lane to inside) and does some more dangerous stuff. Co-worker pulls over and rings Gardai in Balbriggan and then heads off again.

Later he saw the idiot pulled over by the Gardai. That evening the Gardai rang him to give up an update: they had gotten onto the motorway in an unmarked car but didn't see the idiot; then they see some fool tailgating them aggressively, flashing his lights so they pulled him over. :D

The Gardai have a bad rep but give them a try. If they don't, go up the chain a bit and complain. Their home page says that their mission statement is "Community Commitment; Personal Protection; State Security".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

those cr*p drivers must be laughing their as's off. They can do what they want and what are we advised to do here? Make more compensation for them! Why should I be considerate of them if they are not considerate of me?

But the point is useless, as these drivers dont read this thread, so all we do here is bitch among ourselves about how bad everyone else is.

Advertisement