Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair Falling out

• 11-07-2006 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

I have long blonde hair & I've been dying it for about 8 years now. I've always shedded hair & shedded even more in the summer but it wasn't much. My problem is that i was recently diagnosed with Diabetes (last nov '05) & ever since this i shed alot of hair. Now by this i mean not big clumps but strands of hair & alot of it about half a handful. For instance my clothes are constantly covered in hair, the car is destroyed in my hair, my bed etc always covered in hair. This is really beginning to affect my life at the moment. I stated this to my Diabetes Nurse & she asked me if i was stressed recently. Now i have been stressed for the last few months as my boyfriend & me are in the middle of buying a house.

I didn't think your hair could fall out from a bit of stress could it??
    Has any one of you suffered this?? How can i stopped being stressed??

I know no one here can give medical advice, thats not what im looking for, i just want to know has anyone ever experienced something similar & how did they cope??

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

My hair falls out all the time.
    I don't know if it's to the same extent as yours.

The car seat:- 20 or more strands every time.
    The pillows / bed:- 20 or more strands every time.
    My clothes:- the same.

When I shower:- Sh!t loads like probably 60-70 strands each time I wash my hair.
    When I brush it:- quite a few more.

I thought this was normal???? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

BoozyBabe wrote:
    My hair falls out all the time.
    I don't know if it's to the same extent as yours.

The car seat:- 20 or more strands every time.
    The pillows / bed:- 20 or more strands every time.
    My clothes:- the same.

When I shower:- Sh!t loads like probably 60-70 strands each time I wash my hair.
    When I brush it:- quite a few more.

I thought this was normal???? :confused:
    To me thats sounds normal enough. This happened to me before i was diagnosed with Diabetes but it's on a much larger scale now. Before this i had extremely thick hair & now it's getting lighter & lighter, i don't think it's normal as this degree.

Do you wonder why u shed so much??
    Do you get easily stressed??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

IIRC you can lose hair when going through a sustained period of stress, it can also turn grey as large parts of mine did

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, you can lose hair through stress, bad diet, lack of sleep, pretty much everything!

Keep an eye on it though, but it should only be a problem if you notice bald patches forming. In that case, you could have alopecia but this isn't very likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Yeah, it could all be stress related...but

:) Just a tip, my mum noticed this, thinning and shedding of hair, so much so, that the plug clogged up with extra hair after one shower, this never happened before.

She went to her doc for a blood test, and was diagnoised with an underactive thyroid.Hair loss is one of the symtoms of this. She has since been taking medication for this, and is grand.

Also, you should go back to your doc anyway, if feel you feel that the hair loss is effecting your life too much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Yes, stress can do extraordinary things. Called psychosomatic illness. See your GP for further medical advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If your diabetes has an auto-immune source, you might be having auto-immune thyroid problems too. These can cause very dry hair and substantial hair loss.

Go to your doc. I hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My mother had this problem and she user Nourkin tablets. You can now get them in Boots. Her hair growth is back to normal and for her it has been an amazing confidence boost. You get them in Boots. My friend also used them and she had terible hair thining problems. Good luck with it but I would advise seeking advise now before it gets worse. Go to an Acupuncturist and they also may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My son was recently diagnosed with alopecia (he's only eight), the general concensus of the medical profession is that it is caused by stress... if that was the case it would be my hair, not his, falling out.:D I took him to a nutritionist who put him on calcium, vits B1 &B2 and some oils. He feels that things like this are caused by a poor uptake not a poor intake of vitamins, minerals etc from our daily diet and that the best way to tackle them is to increase the amount of truly absorbable vitamins etc we take... food and general over the counter vitamins are not always the best way (but then he would say that because he's selling his stuff). He works from a place in Dublin which is apparently very reputable amongst alternative therapists. If you want more details let me know and good luck with it.

Advertisement