Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House - Design ideas/Features - laundry chutes, central vacuum systems etc

Options
  • 11-07-2006 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I will be starting a direct labour build within the next 9 months and at the moment I am at the design stage with our architect.

I'd appreciate it if some of ye would give your ideas about your house designs and what you'd consider as good/essential features (eg) laundry chutes, central vacuum systems etc and maybe items/features that you'd avoid

If you were doing a house build again you definitely would/would not have put in a .....................

Tks

Naux

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

definitley put in a wet room!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

joejoem wrote:
    definitley put in a wet room!

Instead of a traditional shower tray & enclosure I presume??

What exactly is involved in putting in a wet room joejoem?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

Run structure cabling to all rooms for home entertainment etc. Have a look at http://www.smarthome.ie/products.html for some ideas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Naux wrote:
    Instead of a traditional shower tray & enclosure I presume??

What exactly is involved in putting in a wet room joejoem?

A wet room would be for a larger bathroom. I have a friend putting in one now, its basically a bathroom that is completley tiled, you can then install shower "holes" in the walls, and give it an overall sauna look. I'm not too sure of the ins and outs of it as his is still under construction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

I put in a laundry chute and we find it very handy. We designed the house so that the main bathroom and the master en-suite were located over the utility. We have access to the chute from the both bathrooms and the clothes fall into a cupboard right beside the washing machine.

I don't know of anywhere that you can buy a laundry chute in this country so I made my own out of plywood. I covered the inside with seld adhesive contact to make it slippy. I arranged it so that the door was flush with the bathroom wall and I just tiled over it so that you'd hardly know it was there.
    P8020030.JPG

The door opens inwards (hinged on top) and uses a door closing spring to make it close again.

Another thing to consider would be a pantry/larder. We included a small room off the kitchen which is about 6ft x 3ft and is shelved on three sides. You can fit loads of groceries and bigger kitchen utensils (food processors etc.) in here and it means you don't need a huge fitted kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

tribesman wrote:
    I put in a laundry chute and we find it very handy. We designed the house so that the main bathroom and the master en-suite were located over the utility. We have access to the chute from the both bathrooms and the clothes fall into a cupboard right beside the washing machine.

I don't know of anywhere that you can buy a laundry chute in this country so I made my own out of plywood. I covered the inside with seld adhesive contact to make it slippy. I arranged it so that the door was flush with the bathroom wall and I just tiled over it so that you'd hardly know it was there.
    P8020030.JPG

The door opens inwards (hinged on top) and uses a door closing spring to make it close again.
    Looks very tidy. Is there any planning or fire/safety implications with installing it?

tribesman wrote:

P8020030.JPG

Another thing to consider would be a pantry/larder. We included a small room off the kitchen which is about 6ft x 3ft and is shelved on three sides. You can fit loads of groceries and bigger kitchen utensils (food processors etc.) in here and it means you don't need a huge fitted kitchen.

Good job with the laundry chute!! I have a friend that put one into his new house and he finds it brilliant.

The wife is onto the pantry idea as well, it is one of the problem areas with the architect at the moment beacause it isn't fitting in well with the rest of the kitchen/utility/back hall area. We'll figure it out eventually:D but its definitely on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

To do right, the larder should be on an outside wall and be ventilated from the outside to keep the temperature down. I haven't seen one done like that for quite a while though!

My personal preferred way of doing this would be to have those deep full-height pull-out shelves against an external wall with vents into it. I would prefer to have two narrow ones rather than one wide one. This takes a lot less room than a fully-blown walk-in larder. I have never actually had an opportunity to build this arrangement, and I have never personally seen it, but it seems like a good idea to me.

Do the structured cabling for sure. It is important that all the cables in the house come back to one place. Go for at least cat 5e + coax. If possible, leave some way of getting extra cables into the house later on without having to rip the whole place apart.

Before you put down the floors and board the walls, take some photos, so that you will have a record of where the services were installed in case you need to find the services again in the future.

I think it is worth going to a good bit of trouble to make interior walls of a new build soundproof. You have to think about cost-effective ways of doing this. One I have heard of (but never actually seen or done) is to slice a groove along three-quarters of the lengths of the wall members. This reduces the amount of sound transmission (allegedly) without the expense of special sound-reducing clips. It might also be worth using thicker-than-usual plasterboard.

You might want to wire for a unified stereo system. Personally I think these systems are overblown, and you might be better using a separate amplifier/speaker combo in each room, using something like a sonus system if you want synchronized sound throughout the house.

I personally think the centralized vacuum system is too much of a luxury. It's another thing to break and get jammed up, and it's a good bit of trouble and expense to install. You could leave a vacuum cleaner on each floor for a lot less money. But I haven't really used these systems for any great length of time, so maybe it is worth it.

I would spend a lot of money getting the energy-saving right. I think this will add a lot of value in the future. I would blow any extra cash on this to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

hi naux what style of house are you doing? dimensions,orientation etc

Not to put a damper on things you have your work cut out for you
    to start in 9months:( i'm afraid the planners take their time..i was lucky to
    have the planning in 7months and really that was without any hitches only looking for further information, and that was really the fault of the person doing my planning application:rolleyes:

If you think you've got the ideal design, make a mockup of the house..cut
    out your plans and attach the bits to cardboard and makeup a model
    it certainly brings your plans alive:)

if you give us a rough idea of your house design we can all help with fitting in the pantry etc etc

i agree with all the posters, but i would add precast flooring for the first floor, its much quieter and quicker to install, the drawback being the expense...

lots of CAT 5/6 cable around the house, to include CAT 5 at all TV points, all bedrooms ensuite,

large utility room to house all cable for future entertainment/computer system
    and to dry the clothes:D

as i say give us an idea what you are going to build

a pint of plain is yer only man

naux

one magazine i recommend to you is "build you own house and home"
    basically it's a guide to building a home in ireland explained in laymans terminology, it's ideal for starting out & widely available in the shops or try www.houseandhome.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Just three things.

Central Vacume: I put one in and find it very good. It's practically silent, very, very good suction and convenient. The unit I bought was from Vacuflo in Kilkenny. True, you could buy a couple of cheap vacumes and leave them around the house but then you have two things that can break down not just one. I had a small problem when I first comissioned it and Vacuflo sent out someone to fix the problem free of charge even though I had installed it myself and it was my fault it went wrong.

Suntubes: These are a cheap but effective alternative to Skylights. In my bungalow, there is a centrally located corridor that is under the apex of the roof, no natural light and skylights would have been difficult. We installed two suntubes that trap light at roof level and transfer it through tha attic in an aluminium tube and it is diffused at ceiling level. You can also get light fittings for the diffuser so that they become normal lights at night time. The corridor in now bathed in sunlight all day long. I can't remember the maunfaturers name but if anyone wants more info I can find a link.

Passive heating: Is that what you call it. Anyway, we designed the house around the path of the sun. We have a lot of glass/windows that trap the heat and warms up the whole house. I know its summer at the moment but I'd expect to save a lot of money on heating bills throughout the year.

De_man wrote:
    hi naux what style of house are you doing? dimensions,orientation etc

Not to put a damper on things you have your work cut out for you
    to start in 9months:( i'm afraid the planners take their time..i was lucky to
    have the planning in 7months and really that was without any hitches only looking for further information, and that was really the fault of the person doing my planning application:rolleyes:

I already have full planning, i'm just going for change of houseplan. I got full planning 3 years ago 'cos I thought it was going to get progressively harder to get in the future. The only drawback was I didn't know what I wanted to build at the time so I put in a plain 2450sqft 2 storey.

De_man wrote:
    [If you think you've got the ideal design, make a mockup of the house..cut
    out your plans and attach the bits to cardboard and makeup a model
    it certainly brings your plans alive:)

Thats one I haven't heard before!! Might be worth a try.

De_man wrote:
    if you give us a rough idea of your house design we can all help with fitting in the pantry etc etc

I'll post seperatly on this.
    De_man wrote:
    i agree with all the posters, but i would add precast flooring for the first floor, its much quieter and quicker to install, the drawback being the expense...

lots of CAT 5/6 cable around the house, to include CAT 5 at all TV points, all bedrooms ensuite,

What are the advantages to this type of cabling. Besides TV can't most everything else be wireless?
    De_man wrote:
    large utility room to house all cable for future entertainment/computer system
    and to dry the clothes:D

as i say give us an idea what you are going to build]

2500 sq ft 2 storey with large seperate garage

De_man wrote:
    [a pint of plain is yer only man

More to follow.... thanks for all the help lads n lassies:)

To do right, the larder should be on an outside wall and be ventilated from the outside to keep the temperature down. I haven't seen one done like that for quite a while though!

My personal preferred way of doing this would be to have those deep full-height pull-out shelves against an external wall with vents into it. I would prefer to have two narrow ones rather than one wide one. This takes a lot less room than a fully-blown walk-in larder. I have never actually had an opportunity to build this arrangement, and I have never personally seen it, but it seems like a good idea to me..

Sounds very nice, I would never have thought of the outside wall thing & ventilation.
    Do the structured cabling for sure. It is important that all the cables in the house come back to one place. Go for at least cat 5e + coax. If possible, leave some way of getting extra cables into the house later on without having to rip the whole place apart...

This might be a silly question but what are the advantages of this? Is wireless an option for home networks etc?
    Before you put down the floors and board the walls, take some photos, so that you will have a record of where the services were installed in case you need to find the services again in the future..

Excellent suggestion, a friend of mine was advising me along the same lines.

I would spend a lot of money getting the energy-saving right. I think this will add a lot of value in the future. I would blow any extra cash on this to be honest.

This is definitely an area that I'll be concentrating on. I know people with large houses that are very,very expensive to heat due to not paying close enough attention to insulation specs, heating systems etc.

Tks Antoin

squire1 wrote:

Passive heating: Is that what you call it. Anyway, we designed the house around the path of the sun. We have a lot of glass/windows that trap the heat and warms up the whole house. I know its summer at the moment but I'd expect to save a lot of money on heating bills throughout the year.

The house will actually be designed around the path of the sun and there will be large amounts of glass on the South facing corner. Still working on this with the architect as its a woodland site which makes it more complicated.

Tks squire

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Naux wrote:
    The house will actually be designed around the path of the sun and there will be large amounts of glass on the South facing corner. Still working on this with the architect as its a woodland site which makes it more complicated.

Tks squire

If you don't seperate the sunroom from the living area you won't get any economical heating advantage with a sunroom as it can loose as much as it gains by being a big heat looser at night.
    There is more info on this on my website
    http://www.viking-house.net/wooden-conservatories

I would also insulate externally if I was building.

If you don't seperate the sunroom from the living area you won't get any economical heating advantage with a sunroom as it can loose as much as it gains by being a big heat looser at night.
    There is more info on this on my website
    http://www.viking-house.net/wooden-conservatories.

How does your wooden conservatory work with regard to having/producing an economical heating advantage?

We will be putting a lot of glass in the south facing wall of the kitchen/dining area so we will not have a conservatory per se. Also there will be a high roof in the kitchen/dining area with a small gallery area from upstairs. Can the priciples applied in your wooden conservatory soloution be applied to something like this in order to gain an economical heating advantage??
    I would also insulate externally if I was building.

I have briefly read a few of your previous posts on this subject and its something I'll definitely look into. I assume you can still have a nap plaster finish after insulating this way? What about if you were putting up natural stone as an external finish?

hi naux

Quote:
    I already have full planning, i'm just going for change of houseplan. I got full planning 3 years ago 'cos I thought it was going to get progressively harder to get in the future. The only drawback was I didn't know what I wanted to build at the time so I put in a plain 2450sqft 2 storey.

Perfect you won't have any delay, you really thought ahead

Quote:
    Originally Posted by De_man

What are the advantages to this type of cabling. Besides TV can't most everything else be wireless?

this topic has been discussed at length on other threads, i personally prefer
    to have everything hard wired at a guess using precast flooring would
    cost approx an extra 6K to the price of house build

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

yep, wireless just cannot match wired performance for bandwidth and reliability and will not do so for some time. In theory it may well do so, but in practice, particularly if concrete walls are in place (and naturally a concrete first floor would impact this), I'm yet to see it deliver to the full theoretical potential. So pre-wiring wherever possible is the smart thing to do.

Look for the many posts on here, particularly from patrido, and you'll see what's needed.

De_man wrote:

this topic has been discussed at length on other threads, i personally prefer
    to have everything hard wired at a guess using precast flooring would
    cost approx an extra 6K to the price of house build

I'll have at look at those threads regarding hard wiring.

If we go with traditional blockbuild(and we are leaning towards this at this stage) I will be putting in precast flooring.

Cheers De man

yep, wireless just cannot match wired performance for bandwidth and reliability and will not do so for some time. In theory it may well do so, but in practice, particularly if concrete walls are in place (and naturally a concrete first floor would impact this), I'm yet to see it deliver to the full theoretical potential. So pre-wiring wherever possible is the smart thing to do.

Look for the many posts on here, particularly from patrido, and you'll see what's needed.

The only broadband that I will be able to get(only 11 miles from Galway city:eek: ) in the forseeable future will be wireless so thats why I was thinking that way.

I'm not bothered about music in every room etc and all that. Just TV and a home network would be enough for me unless I can be convinced to the merits of anything else. I suppose thats what this thread is for :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 dras

Naux,

Would recommend you look at a significant amount of solar panels to drive an underfloor heating system not just to provide hot water. Passive solar gain v important. Severe insulation levels also needed, particularly in roof. Viking house looked very interesting to me. If doing direct labour I agree that block on block would appear more attractive than timber frame but don't discount it. Also look at steel frame. Water supply - how good is it? Need a well? Rainwater harvesting? Seen laundry chute made from large gauge plastic piping. Wouldn.t bother with central vacuum - most people have wooden floors and tiles now. Have a think about wind turbines and off-grid options - not sure of economics but is interesting idea.

G'luck

Well, the broadband will come. And there are plenty things within the house that the network might be good for. It's hard to anticipate what you will actually use it for. One thing might be if you want to connect your TVs around the house to a central DVR.

At a minimum, I would put cable to anywhere you are putting a TV point.

If you want to save money, don't bother terminating the cat 5 cable.

Alternatively again, you might be able to leave ducting and draw-strings in place so you can pull extra cable afterwards. In theory this is the best thing to do, but in practice, it is very awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

What water source are you planning on? Group scheme or private well. You will have hard water if you live 11 miles from Galway and you want to plan early when running the mains pipe feed if you have one, to be looped to the garage first to a decent sized water softener and then to the main kitchen of the house.

Is it fashionable to soften drinking water? I thought there were health issues regarding this where infants are involved (because of the risk of increased salt content, I think).

Just another little thing to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

3 words Naux - Windows Media Center.

The possibilities plenty of CAT 5e cable will give you are endless, particularly if you run one to each power socket, light switch etc - as described in posts by patrido the home automation options this gives you are endless.
    Though an X10 home automation system may be an option due to cheaper price.

dras wrote:
    Naux,

Water supply - how good is it? Need a well? Rainwater harvesting? Seen laundry chute made from large gauge plastic piping.

Local Community Water scheme is in operation in my area so I should be covered.

dras wrote:
    Wouldn.t bother with central vacuum - most people have wooden floors and tiles now.

G'luck

Wooden foors and tiles still need to be cleaned/dusted!!!!!

Solar panels will be part of the heating system I hope. I have large trees on the site so I assume that will make the solar option will be more tricky to implement.

cheers dras

If you want to save money, don't bother terminating the cat 5 cable.

Antoin....................what do you mean by don't terminate the cat5 and how would this save money. Picking your brains here !!

Tks

What water source are you planning on? Group scheme or private well. You will have hard water if you live 11 miles from Galway and you want to plan early when running the mains pipe feed if you have one, to be looped to the garage first to a decent sized water softener and then to the main kitchen of the house.

Water in the area is very hard and I think a water softener is essential around here. Hard water means you are constantly descaling shower heads, kettles etc not to mention the damage it does to aplliances.

Antoin, I've never heard about issues with softened water being bad for infants but I'll do a bit of research.

3 words Naux - Windows Media Center.

The possibilities plenty of CAT 5e cable will give you are endless, particularly if you run one to each power socket, light switch etc - as described in posts by patrido the home automation options this gives you are endless.
    Though an X10 home automation system may be an option due to cheaper price.

A friend of mine said I should look at Windows media Centre as well so I guess I search for some of Patrido threads for a few pointers.

Cheers FG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

You are not supposed to use softened water for infants bottles.

We have a water softener and a 1.5 year old. Installed the softener a year ago. Even the installer told us this.

Nurses etc all said it too.

Advertisement