Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FREE Broadband from Imagine

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Foxwood wrote:
    It should be "transparent" in that there shouldn't be a cumbersome login process. .. It gets more complicated with other applications, especially "background" apps.

OK, I'm back to disagreeing with you now! If it's transparent I don't think less savvy users (who this is aimed at) will get the concept easily. I also think if telcos offering timed were only interested in upgrading customers to always on, there'd be no per-minute overage charge (but, rather, a letter advising or requesting they upgrade).

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

cgarvey wrote:
    I also think if telcos offering timed were only interested in upgrading customers to always on, there'd be no per-minute overage charge (but, rather, a letter advising or requesting they upgrade).
    I'm not sure how "You used 5 extra hours of broadband this month. We're not going to charge you for it, but we suggest you give us an extra €10 a month and get always on Broadband instead" would work.

There is only one "timed" product. Eircom Wholesale sell it to the BB retailers, and Eircom Wholesale are the ones who charge for the extra minutes. Imagine have decided to bundle this in with their call package - it's hard to see how they can possibly be making any money on it, and extra per minute charges are going to cost them far more in lost customers than they'll make up in charges. You can be sure that Imagine aer hoping that users upgrade to always on, but I doubt that "eating" the cost of the additional minutes that eircom has already billed would be financially possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

Ok to go back to Imagine on the topic...they offer 20 hour broadband for free, and always on for 9.99....its a good offer...simple as that.

The details are simply that you do need to sign up for the phone line and pay the connection charge, and you get 20 hours free broadband or always on for 9.99. Someone earlier mentioned the fact that if you are an existing customer you need to pay a connection charge to upgrade...this is because the previous 9.99 pack for 20 hours had no connection charge.

The line rental is €24.18, the exact same price as eircom and every other company with line rental on their bill. The call package is 9.99 a month for unlimited landline calls in ireland (incl. NI once you dial 048 instead of 004428) and you do have family protection stamdard, but its free for the first month and can be removed on an imagine bb portal at any time...and not be charged anything. You can rent the router for 2.99 a month, buy it from imagine at 45e (i think) , buy it yourself or use one you already have.

And the reason they are encouraging people to sign up online, i would think its because of two things...this is free broadband...imagine how many calls will go to the sales lines! Unless you have a HUGE sales team they wont be able to cope with it. And you also need to look at it from the companys point of view..sales reps should probably get commision...how expensive would that be for them!

Im not trying to sell the product, simply defend that it is a decent one and I would at least recommend having a look.

Any questions feel free to PM me, otherwise ill keep an eye on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Imagine charge 4c per minute for every minute used over the 20 Hrs. Thats is how they will make their money. Its a crap product. It is dragging us back to the dark old days when eircom tried to flog ****ty ISDN lines to people and then took years to roll out broadband. **** eircom and **** imagine :{

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Moojuice wrote:
    Imagine charge 4c per minute for every minute used over the 20 Hrs. Thats is how they will make their money. Its a crap product.

Absolutely, its aimed at the gullible and technically illiterate. For their own sakes I simply tell them to avoid Imagine

Imagine WERE originally going to charge these people €3.50 a Megabyte after their 20 hours were up . Remember their terms and conditions when they first launched last year ??? Attached below.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Absolutely, its aimed at the gullible and technically illiterate. For their own sakes I simply tell them to avoid Imagine

My God, you're a patronising individual.

The only people I know with the 20 hour product are highly IT literate and have made an informed choice on the broadband product they wanted. That means you're wrong!

It's a different product. It adds choice to the market and people are free to choose something else if they wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

BendiBus wrote:
    That means you're wrong!

It doesn't mean anyone is wrong, although the people you know who have bought it are wrong....

I'm with Sponge and the others on this one. Imagine are hoping that people will go over the 20 hours. They are hoping that the non tech will rent a modem from them. They are hoping that people are going to forget to turn off the family protection....

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but they are intentionally lining up the public to be stung. It's a bad product. And a bad way of selling it to the non aware public.
    BendiBus wrote:
    The only people I know with the 20 hour product are highly IT literate
    I don't know ANY tech person that would go for this product. In fact any tech person I know tends to go for reliability and speed, than price and marketing speak.

Advertisement