Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More GMail/Thunderbird problems

• 11-07-2006 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Trying to access gmail through thunderbird to test the company hosted email solution.

I've set it up on gmail to allow pop3 (I even have "Status: POP is enabled for all mail")

I've followed the gmail/thunderbird configuration file, making triply sure to use the ports 995 and 587 for pop and smtp.

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=38343

And I can connect to gmail if I do this from dos

telnet pop.gmail.com 995

However on thunderbird, when I click on get messages, it tries to connect and slowly dies without even prompting for a password. It used to work here months ago when I last tried it, but it doesn't work now.

Is anyone else having the problem?. Do I need to open any other ports other than 995 or 587?. I'm using Thunderbird 1.5.0.4.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

have you enabled SSL as apposed to just changing the post numbers?

EDIT: the host should be pop.googlemail.com according to the help file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Just tested it in Outlook, and used the test settings feature.

We can connect to the smtp server but not the pop server.

I'm presuming then that its a network problem, or its something
    to do with google.

Yeah, I've selected SSL (in both TBird and Outlook) rather than just change the port to 995.

And I've just tried changing the pop server to pop.googlemail.com and it makes no difference (I have a gmail.com address rather than a googlemail.com anyway).

Attaching the ethereal dump of the connection.

I'd take from it, packets 1-3 are initial connection and synchronisation.
    Packets 4,6,7 are SSL connections and transfer of SSL data.
    Packet 9 kills the connection for some reason.

Figured it out. By connecting to another network and seeing that the thunderbird configuration was fine, I could see it was a local network problem. After some experimentation found it was due to P3Scan running on the firewall.

As per the directions of this

http://copfilter.endlich-mail.de/viewtopic.php?p=2456

Turned off the use of SSL, but kept the port number at 995 and it works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement