Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland and Free Banking! Is this just false advertising ?

Options
  • 11-07-2006 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Bank of Ireland have for the last month or so had a high profile add campaign offering free banking, for those with 500 euro in credit in their account or who have 3 tranactions online.

Now despite meeting these criterea, and despite registering for free banking, and despite contancting bank of ireland customer care, I am still being charged bank charges.

I suspect I am not the only one?

Will this be the next Irish Banking Scandal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭goldilocked

Me too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

A requirement for a minimum balance is something that PTSB introduced years ago (and have moved on from since). As for the online transactions, its banking on the hope that many people are not confident using online banking or already pay everything on direct debits - as banks like BOI have been pressurising them to do for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I think the free banking (with conditions) was only introduced from the start of this quarter, so your last statement should be the last one with charges. That's how I interpreted things. If you follow their conditions you shouldn't see any more charges on your statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

You have to meet the requirements for 3 months in a row before you are eligible. i.e. have 500 euro in a/c for 3 months in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 summer21

Downtime wrote:
    You have to meet the requirements for 3 months in a row before you are eligible. i.e. have 500 euro in a/c for 3 months in a row.

Actually before the present advertising campaign, BOI wrote to me (in around January of this year) and offered free banking. I rang up an registered for it.
    However they are still charging me.

I'd advise all who think they have free banking from BOI ot check their statement for charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Why dont ye move to Ulster bank or PTSB or whoever offer free banking, if they are still charging ye. Let them know why ye are moving and I would assume if a good few customers were moving and they offering so-called free bank with catches, these catches would be dropped in no lenght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 clarkwgriswold

I registered for free banking and fulfilled all their conditions. However when I next looked at a statement they were still charging me. I went into a branch at lunch time and queried this and they immediately wiped the fees. 2 days later they were refunded. Simply asking will probsbly get you the result you want...

Advertisement