Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live.... Dundalk or Navan???

Options
  • 11-07-2006 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Am moving to the North East soon and wondering which town would be better to live in, Dundalk or Navan? :confused:

Which would you choose? All advice and opinions are welcome!

...and much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

sudzs wrote:
    Am moving to the North East soon and wondering which town would be better to live in, Dundalk or Navan? :confused:

Which would you choose? All advice and opinions are welcome!

...and much appreciated! :)
    Depends whether you want to live there for good or are commuting but I've been told by property guys whom I trust that land prices in Dundalk have soared over last 12 months which is usually a sign that capital appreciation will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Neither, I'd pick Drogheda, nice town, all the shops you need, and closest to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

jdivision wrote:
    Depends whether you want to live there for good or are commuting but I've been told by property guys whom I trust that land prices in Dundalk have soared over last 12 months which is usually a sign that capital appreciation will follow.

It's only temporary, probably for about a year before we buy elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Dundalk is the chief to be honest.....we've got everything and drogheda is a poor mans Dundalk..(and the least said about 2 streets Navan the better)..sure aren't we getting an ice rink soon and we've already got JJB sports complex! Dub is only 1 hour away on the train...and 50 mins to Dub in the car thanks to the motorway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I cant really comment on the other towns but Dundalk have very good leisure facilities and retail. But it does have a lot of scum around the town but wat town doesnt. Houses would be cheaper than in Drogheda but not by much. Also Dundalk is gettin together with Newry to make metropolis or something. I dont like the way Drogheda town centre is layed out. Navan is a nice town havent been in it for about a year now there seemed to be a lot of stuff going on around the town centre but I was only in the town for orthodontic treatment so didnt go round the town much was only really in the shopping centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

mada999 wrote:
    Dundalk is the chief to be honest.....we've got everything and drogheda is a poor mans Dundalk..(and the least said about 2 streets Navan the better)..sure aren't we getting an ice rink soon and we've already got JJB sports complex! Dub is only 1 hour away on the train...and 50 mins to Dub in the car thanks to the motorway...

"Drogheda is the poor mans Dundalk"?

I guess that explains why house prices in Drogheda are 20% higher than Dundalk!

Also Drogheda is a lot safer town than Dundalk in my own experiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

I mean't poor mans dundalk in respect of the infrastructure and facilities......

The houses are dearer because they are closer to Dublin....

Dundalk is as safe as Drogheda in my own experience...:)
    Dundalk is a better town in my own experience... :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Please don't turn this into another Dundalk vs Drogheda thread lads. Keep it on topic. If you want to add your opinion on your own town, please do but do not attack another town in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Im not sure which would be better for you. Both have good facilities and nightlife and both near good roads to dublin.
    House prices are prob the cheapest in Dundalk compared to Navan/Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Guv

For me there is no contest. I would suggest Dundalk. Lot's of talk about rough town and scum but it's 2006 not 1986. Times have changed a lot and as the towns grow the % of perceived 'scum' will become less and less.

All areas have their good and bad. I personally like Dundalk. I am currently in Drogheda but in the process of moving up. Dundalk has seen a 10% jump in property prices already and more will come. Lis Na Dara is worth looking at and imo is a development which will be sought after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I have been up to both towns this week and have to say I love love love Dundalk! :D:D:D

They are the nicest, friendliest most helpful people I have ever come accros in Ireland. I'm hugely impressed by them and the town!

And no offence to Navan but I think the estate agents etc. are just taking the piss with the cost of property up there. (rentals especially) One of them even had a great laff at the fact that after years of the country people moving up to Dublin, now the Dubs are having to move out to the country... har har har :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Drogheda > Navan > Dundalk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

sudzs wrote:
    They are the nicest, friendliest most helpful people I have ever come accros in Ireland.

:confused:

anyways...!
    :rolleyes:

I can see the merits of all 3 towns.
    I live in Drogheda, but went to school in Dundalk for 6 years, so know it pretty well too.
    Only briefly been in Navan, but it has its charm.

I would say Drogheda, and no, not because im in the "battle of the louth towns" thing, its just got a more focused 'town centre', its not spread out as much as Dundalk, closer to Dublin, and also more regular train/bus services to Dublin.

In terms of nightlife, both are pretty good. I'm jealous of the Spirit Store, and wish it was in Drogheda..!

But you seem to have made up your mind, so its all good. Once you have a decent place to live and your happy, thats all that matters. You could have a sh!te, or great, life in any of the towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ace101

Try Newry. Cheaper house prices, also better heatlth care, cheper insurance better facilities, etc,etc 10 minutes from dundalk. Plus get a northern reg car and your in Dub in less then 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

ace101 wrote:
    Try Newry. Cheaper house prices, also better heatlth care, cheper insurance better facilities, etc,etc 10 minutes from dundalk. Plus get a northern reg car and your in Dub in less then 45 minutes.

I was thinking about this for a few seconds and was thinking not a chance but then the penny finally dropped that you might not stick precisely to 120kmh!:D

Better personal taxation and only negative would be higher biz tax.

Advertisement