Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boring insurance questions!

Options
  • 11-07-2006 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering if anyone could advise me;

My brother has gone away for a couple of months and has given me a loan of his car. I recently got my first provisional and am taking a few lessons.

I want to get insured on my brothers car. I have never been insured on a car before.

What kind of policy should I be looking for? I only need to be insured for a couple of months (on his car) at the most.

If I get a car myself in the mean time, can I transfer the insurance over to that car? Whats the best way of doing it so that if I dont get my own car in that time, I wont be stung on having to pay insurance beyond what I need?

And finally, who would be best to go with?

If your still reading this, thank you;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

You'll probably have to just become a named driver on his insurance. To the best of my knowledge you cant insure a car you dont own.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Third party fire and theft is probably the type of cover youll be pricing for. Unless your bro insists you get fully comprehensive, which would cover cost of repairing his car not just the other vehicle in an accident.

Afaik, youd have to take out cover for a full year, but you should have no problem transferring the policy to another vehicle. Cancelling before the year is out will mean youd lose some of your money, and youd also not build up any no claims discount for the time you were on cover.

As per other post, which ive just seen, check you can insure his car. And the named driver idea sounds perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I doubt the car would be worth covering under fully comprehensive.

So to get my own policy I'd have to transfer ownership of the car temporarily? How do you do that? Does it require my brother to do the transfer?

If I was a named driver on his policy and had an accident, would that effect his policy rates?

Cianos wrote:
    I doubt the car would be worth covering under fully comprehensive.

So to get my own policy I'd have to transfer ownership of the car temporarily? How do you do that? Does it require my brother to do the transfer?

If I was a named driver on his policy and had an accident, would that effect his policy rates?
    You transfer ownership on the vehicle registration form. Its a permanent change, which will affect the number of previous owners shown on the form. Youd have to change it back as and when you need to.

Yes I think it would affect his rates. Hopefully someone will advise further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭JohnnySideburns

KatieK wrote:
    You transfer ownership on the vehicle registration form. Its a permanent change, which will affect the number of previous owners shown on the form. Youd have to change it back as and when you need to.

Yes I think it would affect his rates. Hopefully someone will advise further.

Yes a claim will increase your brothers premium and will restrict his ability to shop around at renewal as a number of insurers will refuse to quote people with claims in last number of years. (Look at the qualifying criteria on each insurers website to confirm this)

I'd say get named on your brothers policy for one year and apply for your driving test ASAP. (Remember, named driving experience works in one year units the same as a No claims bonus and I would estimate it would give you approx a 12% to 15% discount with insurers who recognise it). With a Full licence and one years named driving experience you will have more options to getting your own insurance at better prices (eg you may qualify for Hibernian ignition,http://www.hiberniandirect.ie/direct/HibernianDirectWeb/ignition.jsp).

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

im 19 and the cheapest quotes ive gotten have been off http://brittoninsurance.com
    and http://quinn-direct.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

My brothers car is only worth well under a grand, so the most valuable thing to protect is his policy I guess.

So in this way I will probably have to transfer ownership of the car to me and get my own policy - the extra users on the car wont really matter as it is not worth very much anyway.
    You transfer ownership on the vehicle registration form.

Can you explain a bit further please ?(I know very little about cars sorry!)

Im talking about form RF101 issued by the dept of environment in shannon. Its the official record for the vehicle - what used to be a tax book. It will either be called a vehicle licensing cert (yellow) or a vehicle registration cert (lilac colour) depending on when ownership was last transferred (they changed the form type a few years ago). Its just a paper form a bit like a phone bill :p New owner details are entered on the back of the form and you can simply send it to the address on the form and a new one will issue in the new name and address.

Advertisement