Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Artic topples in celbridge

Options
  • 11-07-2006 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

Happened at the entrance to the N4, at the celbridge bypass. When i drove past it for lunch, it had only happened a few minutes but i took a picture on my way back to work. Don't think anyone was hurt, didn't see any ambulances.

You have to wonder how these people manage to do this..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

too fast through a roundabout, load toppling over / shifting to one side ... easy,peasy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

just passed it 5 min ago....hope there weren't any chickens in there

the large hoist was there to start lifting it any min now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Stoopid b0llix driving too fast. Would hate to have been on the inside of that, then seeing it go over !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

hmmm, I hope they have it cleared by 6 when I'm heading home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Note to self: Never travel on the outside of roundabout if truck on inside lane travelling at speed.

If there was anything in the outside lane then it is most likely quite 2-dimensional right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

ballooba wrote:
    Note to self: Never travel on the outside of roundabout if truck on inside lane travelling at speed.

Got that rule myself but I don't go round the outside of trucks if they're moving at any speed. I was on the outside of the container truck going straight in the offside lane when he put some of his wheels on the kerb, the container leaned over in my direction a couple of degrees, presenting no danger but it put the fear of god in me... you'd be lucky to come out alive in a car... I was on a bike.

I don't approach trucks near corners anymore.

Actually saw three of them tip over in the space of a month or something ridiculous out by Swords when I was a kid and the bypass was still fairly new... I think it was new at the time. And I actually only saw two of the trucks go over... Just past by the third. Fairly crazy to see something so huge go over so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This seems to be happening all too regularly these days.

I have seen two similar accidents at roundabouts down this part of the country in the last month alone. I always give artics the whole width of the roundabout when they are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Just heard on the news there is absoloute mayhem on all roads in that area. They said that evening commuters can expect extreemly long delays.

*JOKE - lol*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I believe that many roundabouts are actually too tight, too narrow in radius to be navigated by a truck / artic safely at any speed above 20-30 kmh.

Even with my camper van I have to slow down considerably when negotiating a roundabout, for fear of toppling it over.

It is not just the fact that you're going round a tight circle, but you have to first steer left into the roundabout and the immediately right again to go round it.

This puts quite a sway on a high sided vehicle.

No problem, if youre going through from a standstill ..different story at speed.

A trucker, sitting high up, will have a far better view of a roundabout than a car, and seeing that his way is free, might be tempted to forget about slowing down until it is too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

This happened to a truck less than 10ft in front of me at a roundabout one morning. The speed involved was less that 10mph if even that, so the whole 'speed bandwagon brigade' really should get their facts right, before shouting 'speeder!'. All i can say is it was surreal watching the rear axle raise up, hang in the air, dip down, and then raise up about 5ft and then go over.

It turned out that the truck had been loaded with meat, and whoever loaded it, only loaded one side of the trailer. Nobody was hurt, except the trailer unit was a write off i imagine! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

peasant wrote:
    too fast through a roundabout, load toppling over / shifting to one side ... easy,peasy :D

*Only using the quote peasant, not having a dig at you!*

Too fast through a roundabout?? You must be joking! That and most other junction roundabouts are too tight for the marked 60kph AND[/] 50kph speed limits! The roundabouts at the Celbridge, Maynooth, and Clane/Kilcock junctions on the M4 are so tight, you have to crash down to less than 35 to 40kph in a car, without warning, to safely negotiate it.

The roundabouts at Enfield to get off/on the bypass to/from the motorway are the same... I nearly lost the car the first time I went through 2 of them at 40kph and they are marked 60kph limits!

PS. I know you coast to a potental stop upon approaching a roundabout, but when the terrain allows easy viewing all around to actually know there are no other cars, then your speed will in fact be a little more, as you can clearly see you will not be yielding. I believe this should be aken into consideration when designing roundabouts, as they are NOT meant to stop the flow of raffic.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

prospect wrote:

*JOKE - lol*

Actually, the traffic is insane. Leixlip Village is backed up to Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Anyone know what Lucan is like? Think I mite just camp out in work for the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

zuutroy wrote:
    Actually, the traffic is insane. Leixlip Village is backed up to Intel.

ooops, bad karma, sorry guys....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,412 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

prospect wrote:
    ooops, bad karma, sorry guys....

LOL :)

O/T but I've found traffic to be really light since the start of the week. Must be the schools off / summer holidays. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

was anyone expecting something from the arctic topless when they clicked on the thread? :eek:

Advertisement