Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent Children

Options
  • 11-07-2006 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

By now most of, if not all of us have seen/bought it, so simply put....

was the film a yay or nay?

Advent Children....? 38 votes

Yay
    0% 0 votes
    Nay
    100% 38 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

There were lots of aspects that I didn't like, the story was weaker than alot of people were hoping for and there were some damn unforgiveable plot inconsistencies...

But hey, it looked absolutely amazing and the music was great; it was just eye and ear candy! And very nice eye and ear candy at that! So for that reason it gets a yay from me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I thought it was terrible, for me it pissed on the cherished memories of a great game/story. It's gone as far as souring me against the whole Final Fantasy franchise and as I won't fork out for a mortgage for a PS3, I guess the last experience I have with Final Fantasy will be a bad one, which is a shame as FF7 and FF8 are among my two favourite games ever.

The whole movie just reeked of a franchise cash in to drum up interest in the new FF7 games for the PSP and PS2, the 'plot' was at best incoherent and to be honest, an insult to the epic storytelling of the original game. Yes, the visuals and audio were impressive but they couldn't save what was, for me, a huge disappointment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Atrocious. The storyline was awful and the fight scenes while technically impressive were over the top and silly. The way they introduced the characters reeked of fanservice. They also commited the sin of sequels not once but twice by bringing back 2 dead characters will little explanation. The storyline was also extremely contradictionary to the original. Overall it was just a cash in fan service just like FFX-2 except far worse. As for the music. I thought it was weak. Some decent tracks, the rest mostly awful.

Even though it disappointed me as a Final Fantasy fan, taken as a film it was just plain bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Nay as a sequel. Yay as a wonderful CGI movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Cina wrote:
    Nay as a sequel. Yay as a wonderful CGI movie.

As a CGI movie it was pretty poor I think. I haven't seen it in full quality but just looking at the screenshots, you wouldn't think it was made so many years after The Spirits Within. Not much of a step-up at all.
    But hey, it looked absolutely amazing

Again, I disagree. Pay a little closer attention to the fight scenes. The characters look like barbie dolls half of the time. Also, the scene in the church where Tifa is fighting one of those white haired bozos features some absolutely diabolical animation.

I can't say I found the film to be technically impressive at all. I won't comment much on the story other than it was paper thin and you could see from pretty early on that it was just some way of getting Sephiroth to make another appearance. The music I liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

If there was a middley option I'd have gone for it, but since you pushed me...nay. It may have looked nice, it may have had a big budget, it may have been official; but it was still just fan fic.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

grimloch wrote:
    Pay a little closer attention to the fight scenes. The characters look like barbie dolls half of the time.

Well I think the fight scenes went completely overboard, one aspect of the film I didn't like at all. But I think as a whole the film looked amazing, there were some beautiful set pieces.

I think people were expecting a bit much from AC, it was a cash-in from the day they announced it was being made. At the end of the day I'd rather it was made than not made, it brought to life the characters and the world to some degree, and whatever about the story it was still enjoyable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

As a film, not a hope... didnt enjoy it properly at all. As a mess, yes.

Well I think the fight scenes went completely overboard, one aspect of the film I didn't like at all. But I think as a whole the film looked amazing, there were some beautiful set pieces.

If I have the time, I can get a few time references for you, so that you can see what I mean. I'm not sure if I'll have a chance tonight, maybe expect and edit in the next hour or so.
    I think people were expecting a bit much from AC, it was a cash-in from the day they announced it was being made. At the end of the day I'd rather it was made than not made, it brought to life the characters and the world to some degree, and whatever about the story it was still enjoyable in my opinion.

One point that I overlooked and was brought to my attention; most of the VII fans say that they like VII because of its supposedly great story, AC had barely enough story to string together those fight scenes and had very little quality story of which to speak of. One can't help being confused at the whole situation.

I'll agree with you about them being completely over the top, there was no evidence in the game whatsoever to suggest that the whole party were wall climbing jedi. If that was the case, the Shinra building would have been of no concern to them whatsoever, nor the Nibelheim mountains for that matter.

EDIT FOR REFS: The points I'm referring to are 22.49 to 22.53, very sloppy animation altogether.

36.46, they're in the air, a Barbie doll moment if there ever was one.

The whole Sephiroth/Cloud scene looks very rigid and unnatural. One or two notable exceptions but at least you could claim that it's inconsistant.

That being said though, most of it really is too fast to really notice things. It's only when things are played frame by frame that these things become noticable. The movement between frames is absolutely shocking, far too much going on. I'd go so far as to say that they're covering up their half assed animation by making things faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I was given this ages ago only got around to watchin it the other night.

Now i never had an interest in the ff series but i thought this film was really good. The cgi was mind blowing and the story (ok so i wouldnt have gotten all the refs etc) was written in a way that can include ppl who wouldnt have followed the story

So its a yay from me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭GK¦ Ixion²

While i didnt find the storyline altogether impressive or immersive,i didnt hate the story either. And i guess expecting it to live up to ff7 was a naive thing to hope for. It could have been way better but in the end i rather it be there simply as another way to indulge myself in the FF7 world. Enjoyable but not fantastic. Yay i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Personally i thought it was a really ridiculous film but i loved it the way you love a film like battlefield earth (though its not quite up there) so bad it was funny.
    Therefore - as entertainment -yeay
    as aproduct of FF-nay

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Was lacking in storyline but i still really enjoyed it, unlike the first FF movie! It was very pretty with some cool battle scenes...thats all i was expecting so im going with a yay ^_^

I came across this short movie earlier today online - FF VII last order. Its about half hr long i think, not sure how its linked to the movie till i get my hands on it. Anyone seen it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Overall it was just a cash in fan service just like FFX-2 except far worse

Worse that FF X-2?? I wouldn't go that far :p
    carbonkid wrote:
    I came across this short movie earlier today online - FF VII last order. Its about half hr long i think, not sure how its linked to the movie till i get my hands on it. Anyone seen it?

Yeh, I saw it. But now in a way I want to admit. I believe I put up a link to it's torrent here once, and nearly got banned lol. It was pretty good in my opinion. Gave more of an insight into the happenings of Zack and Cloud in their escape from Nibelheim. In the game all we see is them both in the back of a truck cab and Zack being shot. The end of the anime was a bit vauge though...

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Start and end of last order was wee bit all strange but middle back made alot of sense ^_^

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I thought the film was great looking. Story wasnt anything special, but i loved some of it. Any chance to see Sephiroth is good in my view. Liked some of the music as well. And yes, they were really overpowered. But give me two years to level up my characters on FFVII, and they'd easily be that tough :p
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    like FFX-2 except far worse.

Blasphemy!! Nothing is worse then that awful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Kiith wrote:
    I thought the film was great looking. Story wasnt anything special, but i loved some of it. Any chance to see Sephiroth is good in my view. Liked some of the music as well. And yes, they were really overpowered. But give me two years to level up my characters on FFVII, and they'd easily be that tough :p

Blasphemy!! Nothing is worse then that awful game.

Agreed - whoever they put in charge of creating that bloddy game should be shot.

X-2 is wonderful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Your avatar betrays that you are on the darkside.

/slips into powerful sexy outfit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Black Jack

well i thought Advent children was brilliant, made purely for FFVII fans and anyone who has an interest, ok to all the ass's out there, yeah it has not got a great story for gods sake, get over it,

the games never had a good storys, never there all kind of hard to follow and a bit on the crap side, so if your sitting there watching a CG movie made from a PS game and then being critical of the storyline , your a sad case, go and get some friends.

If your sitting there watching the amazing CG and being happy at seeing your favourite FFVII characters brought to life in jaw dropping Cg then your a real fan, only geeks and assholes sit their going "Well i thought the story was a bit out there and.....blah blah blah" twats

does the hour long fight scene at the end not tell you this was not made for the story line, but for the excellent fight scenes and CG.

The fact that the animation is way beyond anything the americans companys can do is not to be sniffed at and even in the original "Spirits within" some of the animation is still better than what Hollywood can produce.

This movie is all about the "cool" factor and if your a real FF gamer then you will enjoy even with the sound off.

Ohh and i advise watching the Japanese language version, since the characters mouths are syncronised to speaking japanese and not english.

• Advertisement

Black Jack wrote:
    the games never had a good storys,

Yes they did, and most of them didn't have such glaring plot holes as AC. Very poor and very lazy scriptwriting. Minus points for that.
    Black Jack wrote:
    If your sitting there watching the amazing CG and being happy at seeing your favourite FFVII characters brought to life in jaw dropping Cg then your a real fan,

The animation is far from jaw dropping, in fact, in many places, it's very sloppily done and the barbie doll fight scenes certainly don't help matters.
    Black Jack wrote:
    This movie is all about the "cool" factor and if your a real FF gamer then you will enjoy even with the sound off.

That's a bit silly now. How am I not a "real" FF gamer because I'm not impressed by that lazy, half assed cash in on the VIII franchise? It takes a bit more to amuse me than a bunch of crap looking fight scenes and Cloud being an emo for an hour and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭N1njapirate

It was amazing.. Final Fantasy Vii is full of nostalgia for me. The first time I watched it with my brother we watched it in Japenese (subtitled) as we couldn't wait for the English version.

All true fans must love it.. Seeing Cloud and Sephiroth again, it was beautiful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Any idea what the makers have said about this por feedback.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd hazard a guess that it was something along the lines of 'Mwhahahaha!!!!'as they laughed all the way to the bank after making so much on such an awful piece of fan service.

The fact of the matter is that the group of people who say the film is a load of bollix is heavily outnumbered by the group who think it's the best bloody thing to happen since God started slicing bread.

Not by any any standards could the film be considered good, with the possible exception of the cool factor. I am completely baffled by the forums full of people who claim it's fantastic and the best CGI thing EVAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i didnt vote~
    i mean~tats the greatest CG movie u can ever see in human history(at least till 2006 though:p )~my eyes r comforted....

BUT...the storyline of the movie..........

well...its just a “Commemoration animation” for FF7......(well,u would say another excuse of ripping off our money....):p dun take it serious....SE never take it serious though...if they do...they would make it like FF:Spirit Within on the big screen....;)

Laguna wrote:
    I thought it was terrible, for me it pissed on the cherished memories of a great game/story. It's gone as far as souring me against the whole Final Fantasy franchise and as I won't fork out for a mortgage for a PS3, I guess the last experience I have with Final Fantasy will be a bad one, which is a shame as FF7 and FF8 are among my two favourite games ever.

The whole movie just reeked of a franchise cash in to drum up interest in the new FF7 games for the PSP and PS2, the 'plot' was at best incoherent and to be honest, an insult to the epic storytelling of the original game. Yes, the visuals and audio were impressive but they couldn't save what was, for me, a huge disappointment.

try ff6....pls...;)
    grimloch wrote:
    X-2 is wonderful.

ohno ...u dun say tat.....:rolleyes:
    ah...this movie is a “Commemoration animation” for FF7 fans.....everyone knew tat before they see it....

i m really really happy to see aeris and tifa (and of course all those guys!!)again........emm...dreamy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Didn't like it.
    Red was cool. But yeah, it blew.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah, I watched it.
    I really enjoyed it.

It did reek of cash in but I don't think it was all that bad. It seemed some of the makers were as considerate to the fans as they could have been.
    It had alot of flaws...I hated the fight scenes, it was like a failed mix of the Matrix and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. What's the point of a good fight scene if you can't see it? However, in the making of thign on the bonus disc, the makers do give some good explanaitions.
    I didn't like the soundstrack...with the exception of the Rock Version of the Jenova theme during Clouds fight with Kadaj. I think the rock version of One Winged Angel was awful and the other remixes too.
    I didn't like how the other characters were brought in, they might aswell have not been there like.

However, I thought the CGI was amazing, I loved how it brought the characters to life, and I think the story was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I loved the FF VII game and thought Advent Children was excellent. A yay from me.

Also Last Order was a good teaser in the wait for AC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Yeah, I watched it.
    I really enjoyed it.

I hated the fight scenes, it was like a failed mix of the Matrix and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. What's the point of a good fight scene if you can't see it?
    Well i for one thought the fight scenes were actually pretty nice, not way over the top but then again they are basically all sephiroth fighting itself if you think about it...
    I think the rock version of One Winged Angel was awful and the other remixes too.
    OMFG how could you not like that !!. The Black Mages would have your head for saying such blasphemous words hehe, imo that remix rocked and i'd LOVE to hear an album by them[ do they have any released over here or can they be bought on import ?]

However, I thought the CGI was amazing, I loved how it brought the characters to life, and I think the story was good too.

I agree on this also, but the CG in FFX was very nice also, could have been used instead...

Advertisement