Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade racing game for PC?

Options
  • 11-07-2006 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

YO!..... ahem, I'm in the market for an arcade style racer for my PC and don't know where to start!, I know there's plenty of driving games out for the PC but they seem to be a more of the realistic/simulation (i.e. Gran Turismo) style than what I'm after, which is arcade style racing along the lines of Ridge Racer. Can anyone recommend me an arcade style racer for the PC that's come out fairly recently?, the reason I say recently is because I was hoping to use my USB Xbox 360 controller with it!, cheers folks!.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Be careful who you tell Gran Turismo is a realistic driving game:P Offhand I can think of Flatout 2, and the Need for Speed games. Then along the lines of the more serious arcade racers there's Toca Racer Driver 3, and GTR has an arcade mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Laguna wrote:
    the reason I say recently is because I was hoping to use my USB Xbox 360 controller with it!, cheers folks!.
    The Xbox360 controller is a standard enough DirectInput device, any game that uses direct input well since analogue controllers were introduced should have no problem using your controller fully, just try out a good n64 emulator and you'll see what I mean.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trackmania Sunrise is excellent arcade racing fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah, like was said ToCA 3 is excellent, loads of different race cars to drive from buggies to F1. Need for Speed: Most Wanted is my favourite though, you can mod your car to the nines and the story is excellent, plus they have some of the best cars to drive and the multiplayer online is good and the OST kills. You'll need a decent graphics card for both though.

OT, but the Prince of Persia series is excellent on a comp. with a controller.

I wasn't making recommendations, I'm into racing sims and haven't played any of those I listed. I was just naming a few I could think of. So if you do try them and don't like any, don't blame me;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

I noticed OutRun 2006: Coast2Coast for the PC in HMV recently. I've got the PS2 port and it's excellent. Cheesy, fast, beautiful and put together with a good sense of what's fun above anything else. It's been criticised for being short and shallow, but I've been playing it for hours at a time (since it came out in March) and I keep getting better bit by bit and improving my scores and having a wonderful time, so that's clearly ****e.

I noticed OutRun 2006: Coast2Coast for the PC...

Stop right there. Outrun is an abomination to racing games. The 2 miles of drifting??? Come on... its ridiculous, and when you hit an opponent, it doesn't slow them down it actually makes them faster, and the soundtrack is bang out of the 80's. I played it for 30 minutes before breaking down into a fit of laughter at how ridiculous it was. It has Japanese written all over it, with the flashy lights, big on screen HUD, cars that maneuver like the laws of physics didn't exist and the majority of the effort going into making the guy give a thumbs up at the end of the race.

NFS FTW :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

L31mr0d wrote:
    Stop right there. Outrun is an abomination to racing games. The 2 miles of drifting??? Come on... its ridiculous, and when you hit an opponent, it doesn't slow them down it actually makes them faster, and the soundtrack is bang out of the 80's. I played it for 30 minutes before breaking down into a fit of laughter at how ridiculous it was. It has Japanese written all over it, with the flashy lights, big on screen HUD, cars that maneuver like the laws of physics didn't exist and the majority of the effort going into making the guy give a thumbs up at the end of the race.

NFS FTW :D

I seriously hope this is trolling. There is one thing Outrun 2 has over NFS, it's buckets of fun to play. So what if it isn't realistic or you can't 'pimp your ride'. It's just simply a far better game than any of the commericial exercises called NFS.

Love the way you are dismissing it just because of it's japanese influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

I <3 Outrun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Trackmania ftw, its free to.

• Advertisement

Laguna is looking for an arcade racer, which is just what outrun is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I agree with retrogamer and jimmyeatsmenu, trackmania is fantasticle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Thanks for all your advice everyone, I think I'll eventually end up buying Outrun as I have nostalgic memories of the original and that was pure arcade greatness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Another vote for outrun if your after a fun arcade game you wont go wrong with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Outrun 2006, nuff said. Realistic ? ... No. Hours of fun..... yes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Trackmania

NFS MW is good crack the other Undergrounds are ****.

Outrun is good too

But they best played on a tv tbh .

kdjac

ok i'll give you that Outrun is like a typical arcade game. The HUD says it all, and the cheesy graphics, and yes it does make me laugh when i'm playing it (which means I actually own it) but as far as racing games go, its way down the list on whats enjoyable IMHO. Its way too easy, and its very repetitive. Which is great if you are sitting in an Arcade wanting to burn an hour and not worry about storyline or working out the controls, but at home you have the time to master a game. I like that with most racing games there is a bit of a learning curve before you can really handle the cars. With outrun 2006, its just a way of burning a few minutes before I have to go out or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Trackmania ftw, its free to.

where can you get it for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tuxy wrote:
    where can you get it for free?
    http://www.trackmanianations.com/indexUk.php#

Its a class game, you can build your own tracks, and host games online, play games online, etc. Used to be a TiG server up, but dunno if its still up.

=-=

NFS:MW is class. Esp the chases. I play it for the chases. Esp love getting chased by the local PD, and the FBI :) But not the kamikazi Rhino's :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement