Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink Floyd's Barrett dies aged 60

Options
  • 11-07-2006 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

BBC:
    Syd Barrett, one of the original members of legendary rock group Pink Floyd, has died at the age of 60, the band's spokeswoman has confirmed.
    He was born Roger Barrett in Cambridge and met future bandmates Roger Waters and David Gilmour at school there.

The guitarist was invited to join Pink Floyd by Waters in 1965 but left three years later after only one album with his mental state affected by drugs.

"He died very peacefully a couple of days ago," said the spokeswoman.

"There will be a private family funeral."

He had suffered from diabetes in recent years and had not been recording music.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5169344.stm

R.I.P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

Shine on you crazy diamond

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

R. I. P.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here
    And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear
    That I'm not here.
    And I never knew we could be so thick
    And I never knew we could be so blue
    And I'm grateful that you threw away my old shoes
    And brought me here instead dressed in red
    And I'm wondering who could be writing this song.

I don't care if the sun don't shine
    And I don't care if nothing is mine
    And I don't care if I'm nervous with you
    I'll do my loving in the winter.
    And the sea isn't green
    And I love the queen
    And what exactly is a dream
    And what exactly is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

gay :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Set Controls for the Heart of the Sun Syd!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 withneill

Have a DVD on his life and some strange coincidences during the initial recording of Shine on. He turned up in the studio, unannounced and unseen for years. He sat there, fat and with a beard I think. I think it was Gilmore who told Walters that Sid was there. He was so far gone that Walters didn’t even recognize him.
    Its a great DVD for any fans, full of interviews with the band and weird coincidences with Syd. If you want a burn-I mean loan of it, any Floyd fan is welcome.

withneill wrote:
    Have a DVD on his life and some strange coincidences during the initial recording of Shine on. He turned up in the studio, unannounced and unseen for years. He sat there, fat and with a beard I think. I think it was Gilmore who told Walters that Sid was there. He was so far gone that Walters didn’t even recognize him.
    Its a great DVD for any fans, full of interviews with the band and weird coincidences with Syd. If you want a burn-I mean loan of it, any Floyd fan is welcome.

Yea, read that in a book on making of DSOTM. Also says that pink floyd were'nt a very drug oriented band. Only Syd was into heavy use. Roger Waters hardly touched drugs but one time Paul McCartney came back stage after a gig and was smoking a joint, he passed it around and Roger took a huge drag of it.

Its funny when you see and interview with any of the band members, they are all from well educated upper middle class backgrounds. The music is cleverly put together and the production is second to none. Still, it’s the best music to get stoned to but the common misconception is that they were all acid heads taking tones of drugs and pumping out Psychedelic noise, but they were far more considered than that. Walters just finished writing an Opera for Christ’s sake, took him ten years. Try doing that on a head full of shrooms!

I wish Waters was taking his tour to Dublin. I'd love to see him play the full DSOTM. Say the Aussie Floyd and they were amazing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭muesli_offire

Wow, just heard it on the news there, Tragic. The guy was such an inspiration.

• Advertisement

A mate of mine saw Walters last week and said it was as good as you would expect. The lad who introduced me to floyd over a smoke about ten years ago, was a mature student in the IT I was in. He had been to see them in Earls court when they shot the Pulse video. He said he was directly under the plane when it shot across the audience and he nearly shat himself. He goes to plenty gigs but said that will never be surpassed. Lucky B strd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
    Shine on you crazy diamond.

Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.

You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom,
    blown on the steel breeze.

Come on you target for faraway laughter,
    come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.

Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.

Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,
    rode on the steel breeze.

Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
    come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

One of the all time great instictive English writers who inspired one of the all time greatest songs.

Mike.

Some dopey American on Today FM just played a track from Dark Side as a tribute to Syd....:rolleyes:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Female? Probably Alison Curtis if so and she's Canadian, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

withneill wrote:
    He sat there, fat and with a beard I think.

Was shaven headed rather than with a beard. There was a photo of him that day at the studio's in Nick Mason's autobiography 'Inside Out'.

Some of the solo stuff is hard work, but he was hugely influencial. Weller, T-Rex, Blur (particularly) all took a lot from his music.

There's a book called Lost In The Woods about Barrett, one of the best music biographies I've ever read. Actually it's THE best.

If you have the will and speed to download 373 mbs here is a bbc Omnibus doc about the great man. I expect they'll show it again on BBC2/4 in the next week.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

thanks for the link mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

withneill wrote:
    Walters just finished writing an Opera for Christ’s sake, took him ten years. Try doing that on a head full of shrooms!
    It's probably crap. Just because he may have taken drugs 30 years ago doesn't mean he was still taking them in the past 10. And I'm sure when you take mushrooms it's not going to last for 10 years, you would have room to fit in writing an opera, no problem. But off topic.

I feel happy that he's passed. He hadn't exactly been leading the best life and perhaps it's better that he's finally at rest now.

FX Meister wrote:
    He hadn't exactly been leading the best life

I understood he was living a quiet simple life off his royalties and being looked after by his sister in Cambridge? There was a photo published of him out cycling recently, didn't seem to be a miserable existence or anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Bill McH

telecaster wrote:
    I understood he was living a quiet simple life off his royalties and being looked after by his sister in Cambridge? There was a photo published of him out cycling recently, didn't seem to be a miserable existence or anything like that.
    Today's obituary in the London Times ends up with this...
    The Times wrote:
    ...And although he was said to have found some contentment in later years, his death brings to an end one of the most enigmatic and saddest stories in rock’n’roll.

Sums it up.

One of the all time great instictive English writers who inspired one of the all time greatest songs

Nicely put

All this business with Syd made me think about some other greats of the 60s who lost their way in a drug-fuelled haze, specifically Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer. We all know Green is back playing, but a quick google of Jeremy Spencer revealed that he's back from his 'Children of God' immersion and also playing again http://www.jeremyspencer.com/

Anyway, somewhat OT but there you go...

Sorry for the couple of inaccuracies in my posting, I must remember the sensitive fans out there, sweet jesus. Cheers for the links by the way. Now , where is my anorak ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

magpie wrote:
    Nicely put

All this business with Syd made me think about some other greats of the 60s who lost their way in a drug-fuelled haze, specifically Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer. We all know Green is back playing, but a quick google of Jeremy Spencer revealed that he's back from his 'Children of God' immersion and also playing again http://www.jeremyspencer.com/

Anyway, somewhat OT but there you go...

and also the late Skip Spence
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_Spence

for anyone who hasn't read it Nick Kent's The Dark Stuff contains a great chapter about Syd (and more generally is a brilliant book). Kent also has an article about him here - http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1818250,00.html

Not to mention Danny Kirwan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Jugband blues is the best Floyd song ever!
    withneill wrote:
    Its funny when you see and interview with any of the band members, they are all from well educated upper middle class backgrounds. The music is cleverly put together and the production is second to none. Still, it’s the best music to get stoned to but the common misconception is that they were all acid heads taking tones of drugs and pumping out Psychedelic noise, but they were far more considered than that.

Heh, well Gilmour talks about that in the Live at Pompei DVD and he looks pretty damn f**kfaced in it!!! :p

Rest in Peace Syd, make sure to borrow God's bike if you get the chance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Barrett, Spence, Wilson, Morrison, Hendrix are all pretty compelling reasons not to do drugs.

Barrett, Spence, Wilson, Morrison, Hendrix are all pretty compelling reasons not to do drugs.

Some may use that reasoning to do the exact opposite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

hehe

Advertisement