Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new car drifting left,(not the smokey kind)

Options
  • 11-07-2006 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Have a new ssangyong rodius a week or so. I noticed a slight drift to the left when I picked it up so waited a few days and brought it back. They checked the tracking and balancing, couldn't find anything so they booked it into a place in coolmine to have the wheels aligned and the cambers checked. They were slighlty out and but fixed now.Trouble is it's still drifting to the left. The guy who aligned it said that there may be still a little drift but it won't affect the tyres, he blamed the camber on our roads. I've driven for twenty years, many different cars, my recent camry was 10 years old and didn't drift, nor does my mustang which is 34. This guy said they get a lot of mercedes straight off the boat with the same problem and the rodius have very similar running gear according to him. I plan to drive it for a day or two just to see how bad it is and bring it back,in the mean time anyone here have similar problems with a new car.
    Oh the guy said a drift of 18 feet every one K is within legal limits,mine seems to drift about 3 feet left every 100 feet.:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tyre pressures?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Had a Mini once, that drifted left from new, critically so under braking.

Had all sorts of people look at it, adjust things, re-adjust ... camber... tracking ... tyre pressure ... you name it, it was fiddled with, nothing helped.

Until weeks later one tie rod was found to be 15 mm short :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah some suspension set ups are more prone to it that others ! I can confirm folk reporting that some Mercs do it, actually I was reading it on a US site, where they were drifting left !

Best thing is to drive another identical vehicle !

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

hmm, has anyone whose not a taxi man bought one of these monstrosities

make sure you keep bringing it back, its new make sure you dont get pawed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

hmm, has anyone whose not a taxi man bought one of these monstrosities

make sure you keep bringing it back, its new make sure you dont get pawed off.
    I knew there would be at least one,amazingly, nearly all the passengers that I have picked up in the last week has commented positively about the car, including how it looks on the outside. It seems to me that the people who hate it, and there seems to be a few on boards, are just mouthing what ole jeremy clarkson said. have you actually seen one? in black?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

dubtom wrote:
    have you actually seen one? in black?

I saw a black "non-taxi" one yesterday. It looked much better than the usual silver. Mind you I don't think they are a handsome car still, but few cars as big as it are.

Mk1 Mondeos were infamous for pulling to the left if the tracking was anyway slightly out. Mine did for about 6 months, but it seemed to cure itself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

According to NCT
    My tracking is

Front +1m /km (limit is 16m/km)
    back -1m /km
    which for a 16 year old car is not bad.

I still find it pulling to the left a bit. but dead straight under braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

The car passed the suitability and nct last thursday, they didn't detect anything and passed it, as the garage said they would.It brakes in a straight line fine.I think I remember that mondeo thing mentioned a few years ago, was their not a call for a recall because of the severity of the drift?Anyway, thanks all for the reponses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The appearance of his car is not the point here. If it was I'd have said it was absolutely hideous.

A Multipla looks good by comparison;)

Advertisement