Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Politics Forum - Right of Appeal?

Options
  • 11-07-2006 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi,
    I got banned for a month from the Politics forum for pointing out that the moderator was breaking the rules he is supposed to adhere to,
    namely Don't insult the poster just because you don't agree with their view (it wasn't my view anyway - I was trying to calm things down). I didn't use foul language (unlike him) and I had my reply deleted. Can I appeal this to anyone? The moderator is unlikely to sympathise with me considering he banned me for having a different point of view and for pointing out (politely) that he was breaking the rules.
    Thanks

ScottishDanny
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

PM one of the Politics mods.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

considering he banned me for having a different point of view and for pointing out (politely) that he was breaking the rules.

Pointing this out on the actual thread would have been taking it off topic, a PM would have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I can't get into the forum now to find out who they are! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Logout
    Go to the politics forum without logging in
    Copy the URL for the thread (that's the thing in the Address bar)
    Log back in
    Post the URL here.

Easy peasy, lemon squeesy.

The poster wasnt banned for having a different opinion to me.
    He was banned for ignoring an instruction here not to discuss the modding of a thread in the thread.
    Thats covered in the charter of the board.

The rest of it I moved to here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Regardless of the actions of the mod. You were given a simple instruction. You didn't follow it, you got banned.

There are ways and means to go about making such complaints. Doing them on a thread in the forum you are complaining about is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Evil Phil wrote:
    Logout
    Go to the politics forum without logging in

Or use http://dontlogin.boards.ie/

saves having to keep logging in/out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PM one of the mods, use the report post feature, post a thread in the HelpDesk or post a thread in Feedback. I'd recommend one of the first three but the four are available. You went for number 5. And then insisted on going back for more number 5. There is no number 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

sceptre wrote:
    There is no number 5.
    THERE ARE 5 LIGHTS!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

henbane wrote:
    THERE ARE 5 LIGHTS!
    you're free to go.

scottish danny, just sit out the ban. it's only a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

There are FOUR lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

picardshootkid3jz.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Chunk was a Cardassian? THE CONSPIRACY DEEPENS!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Hobbes wrote:
    Or use http://dontlogin.boards.ie/

saves having to keep logging in/out.

http://hobbesispants.boards.ie/ tbh :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 CaptainSmith

This is all quiet amusing, presumably the whole point of having a politics forum on the internet under Irish Jurisdiction is to allow for free and open speak within reason, maybe a redifinition of the forums rules or more user common sense may be in order...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

What do you mean by "within reason" ? How do we create these users that have more common sense?

Do what I do on my own websites (no if i give links, I will get attacked by many mad but beautiful minded people). Simply make the rules more stringent, tell people if they are banned, they are banned in the terms and conditions and the only appeal is senoir management at their discretion...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

What exactly do you think is happening here?

I think you're system is fair, but perhaps unless a view is outright, on apologetically offensive in a section to another member or an element of society in an unnessesary and uncalled for way, people should have more open speech, I am only a member and dont take my views as important or influencial, just my thoughts...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Tbh, your rules are fine for your site, but if you had of read the charter of the politics forum, you would have realised the rules for this forum.

Just try to keep this single rule in mind, when you go posting on other forums and you should get on fine ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hi,
    I got banned for a month from the Politics forum for pointing out that the moderator was breaking the rules he is supposed to adhere to,

Except you weren't pointing that out. You were alleging it is what was done, which isn't quite the same thing.

Not only that, but sand - one of your chosen examples - isn't a mod of Politics.
    namely Don't insult the poster just because you don't agree with their view
    You're instructed to attack the post, not the poster. That means you can't say "you are full of crap" but you can say "your argument/post is full of crap". Ideally, you should word either a bit more politely, but thats where the line has always been drawn.

Sand - the non-moderator example you gave - was arguably out of line, as he referred to the poster's delusional struggle. The others were all dismissive of the content of posts.

Not that any of this matters. You weren't banned for being wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

ecksor wrote:
    What do you mean by "within reason" ? How do we create these users that have more common sense?

Can't you write some sort of script or something?

Advertisement