Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are IBB still crap?

• 11-07-2006 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

i cant get dsl so my only option is to get wireless. IBB are in my area but digiweb have been saying since the end of march that their new mast should be up an running soon. i pre ordered with them at the start of june and was told i will be ready before the end of the month. now they are saying it will be august.

Now i know IBB have the worst reputation of all providers in ireland but is this still the case?

if you look at the cork coverage map @ http://www.irishbroadband.com/coverage.php or if you look here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=187348608&size=o

you will see my area whites cross. now you can clearly see that this area is shaded in a darker shade of blue than the rest of the map. does anyone know if this means that the coverage is better or worse in this area?

any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TBH will all the cr@p I have been having with IBB I will be telling them where to go and stick their wireless BB!! I have been with them from the very start and only recently been getting major problems with their service!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

darker = better coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I live in Whites Cross aswell.. they came out today and and went up on the roof.. they said our signal wasn't strong enough to get the Breeze option... we already knew we couldn't get Ripwave... its pure **** imo, i was really looking forward to be getting Broadband today.. i feel angry cos we can't get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Well next time Noelie (Flynn) boi comes a knockin you know what to tell him that he can do with himself.

FFS Blarney is getting a Spur on the MAN now, have they no standards???

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

dean where abouts do you live in relation to the cross itself? and are you in the coverage map? whites cross has to be the worst place for BB. so close to the city yet there's nothing! ill have to get onto nolie flynn alrite.

guessing there's no one here from whites cross or that general area that can comment on the service?

• Advertisement

I live just down the road from the Whites Cross GAA pitch..

as in in between the pitch and the shop? i live by the nursing home. if you cant get it then i prob cant:mad: ive been waiting 3 bloody years for BB!

only good thing is that digiweb are putting up a new mast that might reach whites cross that will be about another 3 weeks

Its not good enough though... i find it unfair that we can't get Broadband from the likes of Eircom and Smart

i know what you mean. i had some eircom knob around my house 3 years ago selling us BB and he was like oh ya it will take about 2 months to process your order but youll be up and running then! 3 years later and we still havent got it.

whites cross isnt that far away from town like.

how long did it take IBB to come out to do a check?

might do it just to see what they say cause going by their map we should be covered

They said two weeks to come out but fair enough to them they came a day earlier than what they said... i say you should get in touch with them, we seem to always have bad luck with these sorts of things

btw, have you got dial-up or some other kind of connection?

• Advertisement

ya i have dial up which isnt really worth going on at this stage. way too slow

you know where 96fm used be byt the nursing home? well i think they have IBB so i might get lucky but im not going to hold my breath. did you have to pay or give details of payment to get them to call out?

im hoping digiweb get their act together cause their service is miles better than ibb or so ive heard

My father was the one who rang them up, he gave them his Direct Debit details... i don't think they will make us pay for the call out

If we can't get Broadband, can we get something like Cable or Satellite??

cant get cable anyway and satelitte is the worst thing ever. the costs are huge something like €100 a month and the speeds arent that good so def dont get that

alright, thanks... i noticed how expensive the satellite was on a few sites.. how slow is it? Surely not slower than dial-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Problem isn't really the speed but the high latency in connection and responce. Has to travel up to sat and down again, get reply then back up again and down to you and the van allen belt is c.32000km each way so you can see why its slow.

MC

Advertisement