Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic Exhibition in Dublin

Options
  • 11-07-2006 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Howeryis

for those of you who might be in Dublin next week, putting on a small comic related exhibition- free drink at the opening anyway! all the info and blurby stuff below -chris

IADT MA Vis in Studio 6 at TBG&S presents

Opening Thursday 20th July 6-8pm.
    Open to the public Friday 21st and Saturday 22nd July, 10am-6pm, Studio 6 is upstairs in Temple Bar Gallery & Studios, Temple Bar, Dublin 2, entrance via Fownes Street.

WHAT THE #ü¢*?!
    presented by Chris Fite-Wassilak
    featuring Niamh O’Beirne and Leo Boyd

Then all of a sudden there were echoes everywhere. I was nearly scared half witless. I mean, what are people doing here? The shouts work their way into my dreams before I wake up. There was a war going on. Bang! Thumping trooping feet, childish squeals. I’m just watching all this but I can see their thoughts. This territory is mine.
    -Bang!
    Who said that?
    My bags are scattered. If they’re here to steal not much to take, I can just up and go there’s a few other empty houses round here. Nice neighborhood, too.
    -You’re dead!
    There is one older. Two, maybe three kids. Playing.
    What are you doing here?

To open and explore the agency inherent in the syntax of the comics medium, Chris Fite-Wassilak invited two artists to respond visually to a short narrative brief describing only characters, setting, and mood. Their work was then placed in a series of installations to frame and question the relationship between the diegetic space within the images and the formal constraints of a verbalized narrative.

Chris Fite-Wassilak is a writer, editor and illustrator currently completing the Criticism strand of the MAVIS course. His video work has previously been shown at Darklight, DEAF, and ENSO events. He is the editor of collaborative comic This Way Up (www.growgnome.com) and contributor to the ongoing Irish Online Comic Creator Challenge (http://fysh.comicgenesis.com/IC-About.htm).

Niamh O`Beirne has just completed her first year at the Limerick School Of Art And Design. Her current work explores the manipulation of materials, interacting both creatively and deleteriously in the generation of meanings. Previous exhibitions include Student ev+a 2006, at which she was the youngest ever participant, and the Creative Platform Portrait Exhibition in Limerick in April 2006.

Leo Boyd studied art in Hastings and Bristol before moving to Ireland to study graphic design. Having been raised on a steady diet of comics and monster munch his work tends to blend words and images in an attempt to find new connections and explore old ones. In these paintings Leo is playing with the language of the city, the constantly evolving marks we leave on our environment that go as unnoticed as rust on a railing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Sounds interesting... I'll try to make it along.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Sounds pretty cool, if I can make it up to Dublin that weekend I will definitely call in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

dang I get back from new york the sunday night/monday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

hmmm if I can get things wrapped here I wouldn't mind a trip up to the big smoke

Advertisement