Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Few basic questions about boating in Ireland

• 11-07-2006 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a boat and have a few questions:

- Does one need a licence/tax/insurance to own a boat and use it in the sea or lakes

- What would I need to spend to get a second hand boat capable of pulling a waterskier/wakeboarder. How powerful a boat would I need

- If one were so inclined, could they hop in their boat and go to wales and land on a beach. Or do you have to land at specific sites and 'check in'

- How would you go about buying a second hand boat in Ireland

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Western Cruiser

Don't mean to give you a short answer at this time of night but it looks like you are looking at a Powerboat and lot of questions related to Powerboats !

Hope they are not too offended here but if I were you I'd ask the same question at the Forums on Powerboat.ie. They have over 300 members there whereas there are only a handful of us here on the boards ie boating forums.

They also have a special forum dedicated to beginners.

You do need to register your boat for free on the Shannon. Fill in the form and you get a reg no on a yellow sticker which you must display.

Any RIB over 5.8 meters with say 100 hp should fit your bill for both watersports and a cross channel hop. Go for a 4 stroke engine for range and economy.

Ask on the other forums about boats for sale ! Plenty there.

You can land anywhere but you may be searched by customs in the most unexpected places !!!

But once again, I'd ask on the other forums for really really good advice in the Powerboat area. !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Thanks Western Cruiser. I'll direct some questions their way.

Advertisement