Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can this be done?

Options
  • 11-07-2006 5:57pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a website which I mostly use for storing files that I want to share or I may need when away from my computer. I just upload files to certain directories - pdf's, movies, photos etc etc. At the moment to upload them I either 1) Open up IE, type ftp.domain.com and copy and paste into the specific directory, or 2) I use an FTP Client (FireFTP Firefox Extension).

What I would ideally like is just to be able to right click on the file and "Send To" my website (preferably a specific directory if possible). Does anyone know if there is a program that can do this? Kinda like the Gmail Drive shell extension?

Also, somtimes I make a page and link to each file but its a pain in the ass modifying the page all the time. Is there any way that a page can be automatically indexed when I upload a file and add it to a list of files in that Directorty? I've no doubt that its possible to get somehthing fantastic done up in php or something but unfortunately my skills don't stretch that far - unless its somehting that really really easy to set up and manage. I know I can get the server to do a directory listing with .htaccess, but, really it just looks kinda crappy! IS there any way to modify it perhaps?

So does anyone know I can do these things?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rygar Drogan

I can help you out with the auto update so that you dont have to do any HTML bits and bobs. I have done a PHP script that deal with images in sub-directories and that could easily be adapted for any typ of file. But the other stuff has issues - not entirely sure yet what issues but its not right. I think you need to stick to the FTP transfer to be safe.

if you want to see an example of the image thing i mentioned let me know.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheer Rygar an example would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Easiest thing to get a list of files in the directory is to turn on directory listings on that directory (and sub directories).

Much easier than writing a script to do such.

Advertisement