Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Peoples Park

Options
  • 11-07-2006 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Googling for Dodo Reddan (coming from my famous/infamous persons thread) i found this page from the UL http://ulaa.ul.ie/?lumniulMay06 and I quote the interesting part:
    UL wrote:
    SCULPTURE SUGGESTIONS INVITED The beautiful People's Park in Limerick - voted Irish park of the year in both 2003 and 2004 - will soon see the arrival of a sculpture to adorn a new pedestrian entrance to the Park. The public is now being asked to submit suggestions.

Limerick Civic Trust's Chairperson, Pat Daly explains: "the new entrance has been designed in such a way so as to provide for a piece of public art and we are asking the people of Limerick to suggest suitable subjects." One idea already put forward is a sculpture to honour Limerick Character Dodo Reddan and her dogs! Suggestions must be submitted in writing to 'The People's Park Sculpture' c/o Limerick Civic Trust, Bishops' Palace, Kings Island, Limerick.

New entrance? Where? When is "soon"? Why?

Some other thing makes me musing about the park. Next to the already existing apartment block that took land away from the public ground in Peoples Park is a new building with apartments developed. Just in front of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor apartments (which will face the park) are two beautyful old huge chestnut trees on park ground. They take a lot of light from those apartments. Two things: i wonder who would move into those dark flats and secondly how long will those trees survive there? Placing a bet someone?

IB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

The new opening is onto to parnells st, by the fas office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Ahh would have loved to have seen an entrance with some sort
    of respect paid to Dodo. A little bit mad but fair dues she treated
    her dogs like royalty. Never heard of a bad word about the woman.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I wonder why the city cant just get an artist to design something!? In chicago they have opened a park and its just one big artsy-fartsy thing, everything thing is art and some things have other uses (one is a play fountain-waterway thingy) another is an outdoor theatre. Then Cloud Gate is now like the new spire of chicago.

11623767-M-1.jpg

DSC00109.sized.jpg
    ABChelicopter.jpg

il_chicago_millennium_crown.jpg
    spout.jpg

These things are really creative and fun, Why does everything in Limerick need to be a statue of somebody!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

yeah i can really see limerick city council afford something like that lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Limerick is not just a collection of brick and mortar, it is home to PEOPLE. What makes Limerick unique is its PEOPLE. WHen the all blacks came in 1978, it was people (including some not from Limerick) who sent them packing.How many times have i looked at a teamsheet and decided that the opposing team had more talent etc only for Limerick teams to win.

Limerick has its characters, and Dodo was one of them. No one ever spoke badly of her, she loved Limerick almost as much as her dogs.

Limerick Co. Council have build some silly monuments, such as the one on the Croom by pass, the coloured cows (am i missing something - but why cows?) and the red deer and blue horses near Adare.

A monument to Dodo would please every true Limerick person.

• Advertisement

Enright wrote:
    What makes Limerick unique is its PEOPLE. WHen the all blacks came in 1978, it was people (including some not from Limerick) who sent them packing.
    Wow... ok, I read that wrong the first time!

Enright wrote:
    Limerick Co. Council have build some silly monuments, such as the one on the Croom by pass, the coloured cows (am i missing something - but why cows?) and the red deer and blue horses near Adare.
    Yeah, I dont get the cows.. but the Croom monument?? You dont like the Croom monument?? Everytime I'm on the bus and we're going past that most the bus usually admire it! You are the second person i have heard to down the monument, in my opinion that is a very creative and represents the history and town of Croom very well.

Enright wrote:
    A monument to Dodo would please every true Limerick person
    Who is she??

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Dodo, is sorry was a ledgend, she was to be seen walking around the city pushing an old battered pram, tied to the pram would be a range of dogs, mutts of various colours and sizes. She was Young Munsters biggest fan, and even travelled to lansdowne rd (complete with dogs) to see them win the AIL Division 1.

Re the Croom monument, it is lost in me, every time i pass it i wonder what it is? and could they not have spend the money on something else
    :D

Oh yeah, i used to think it was an elephant or something too. But its actually Croom and the magiue river. Theres the mill the river and birds etc... when u look at it just pay a little attention to it and i bet you'll see it, once you know what it actually is.. you'll respect it!

OK, so dodo was a Young Munster fan... but what did she do for the city that we are thinking of honouring her for... this is what i'm not getting! How come its not Young Munster honouring her??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Whats this "no-one had a bad word to say about her" rubbish? Dodo was called what is commonly referred to as a "rip" by most of those who knew her, she was a contrary old one who made half her neighbours leave due to the smell and noise of her dogs, honestly I dislike speaking ill of the dead, but there's serious revisionism going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

yeah i can really see limerick city council afford something like that lmao

I don't think the previous poster was saying Limerick should do something on the exact same scale as Chicago, just something along the same lines. And why not? I'd really rather see something like that than another statue, especially one representing some "character."
    The best thing about Limerick is its people, so why not build something for the people. I'd definately be in favour of getting an artist or designer to create an interactive public space, to bring people together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement