Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Joggers and pedestrians

Options
  • 11-07-2006 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

I recently moved to an area called Raheny in Dublin. There is a lot of joggers and pedestrian activity in the area, lots of jogging clubs and lots of kids. The Joggers run on the road, even in the night! You could be driving behind them for two minutes while they plod along two abreast in front of you! I jog a bit myself, and "path has too many obstacles" excuse does not wash. The Kids will walk in fron of you while you are reversing "because its dere right" Do these people realise there are drunks on the road, elderly almost blind people, LOTS of learners (I am near a test centre) and lots of junkers bought from the travelling comunity. Its just a matter of time before someone get plowed over.

anyone else come accross this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its no wonder so many pedestrians and cyclists are getting killed on the roads. The number of near misses I had lately is scary. When I'm out walking I always wear suitable bright clothing, walk on the correct side of the road and always stand in if a car approaches, anyone I seem to meet lately are on the wrong side of the road walking two or even three abreast and couldn't seem to care less if they're driven over or not. The same goes for cyclists, its no wonder so many of them are being killed. It should be made law to at least have reflective clothing on if your in either category, a bit of common sense would go an awful long way tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I was out on some R roads with poor visiblity around the bends a number of weeks ago, loose chippings to boot, so I was taking it handy. Coming around one bend however there were two people walking with thier backs to me, two abreast on my side of the road.

As slow as I was going, in an unfamilar car mind, I managed to lock up my brakes resulting in that out of control skidding noise that sent the pair of them scrambling into a ditch. I was 10m from them when I saw them, 5m when I came off the brakes.

Had it been night and had there been no loose chippings... I'm not as confident that I would have stayed on my own side of the road, unfamilar vechile, I did't know what its braking performace was. Add some oncoming traffic and we're all in a world of trouble.

Also out Garristown direction (?) theres constantly this dude walking the roads in all black in the evenings, its okay these bright evenings but there was many a time I nearly slammed on the brakes and gave him a lift...

...except he was a freaky dude skulking around dark lanes in dark clothes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If there are two spa joggers in front of you surely you can just blast the horn at the morons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I run around the Ballinteer/Dundrum/UCD/Stillorgan area in the winters and our coach makes us wear reflective clothing or patches.Although common sense, a lot of people don't know that you walk against traffic so see themselves as being right. And lightening, there's Raheny running club who are pretty big so that explains the numbers of kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I was at a regatta in kerry couple of weeks ago.
    There was a tempory car park in a field.
    as i was looking for parking going at about 10mph a child, about 5 ran straight across the front of the car. ahhhh . luckily it was a dry day and car didnt skid on the grass. very close miss. Where were her parents??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A more disturbing aspect to this is the number of drivers who think nothing of overtaking these obstacles into the line of oncoming traffic !! These people should be treated like any other road user, slow down - indicate your intention to overtake - wait till your way is clear the manouver.

The number of times I've been forced to swerve out of the way of oncoming cars recently is disturbing.

ZEN

Advertisement