Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a static ip

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Hmmm Eircom supply these right? Therefore POS and the number of people with problems with (maybe not this exact model but definatly manufacturer) Netopia routers warrents the tag.

And yeah that rule was tailor made for this situation, so do us a favour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Hmmm Eircom supply these right? Therefore POS and the number of people with problems with (maybe not this exact model but definatly manufacturer) Netopia routers warrents the tag.

And yeah that rule was tailor made for this situation, so do us a favour...
    Judging by the sorts of questions asked on this and other forums, the number of people who have problems with Netopia routers has far more to do with the people than with the routers. And given that about two thirds of Irish broadband users get a Netopia router from their ISP, I'd expect a hell of a lot more questions about them if they were a POS.

Well I was trying to be nice but yeah most of the errors are PEBTAC, but that withstanding the Netopias are not really worth a dam. The interface in them is at fault not the hardware but then that is part of the router so still makes them POS

Now I get it Foxy, you work for Eircom... Makes sense now. ;)

Now I get it Foxy, you work for Eircom... Makes sense now. ;)
    That's about the level of logical analysis that leads to most of the questions on these boards - "5 plus 6 equals wait a minute until I untie my shoe laces".

I don't work for eircom, or any other ISP, and for the life of me I can't see how you jump to the conclusion that I do, based on my pointing out that there are huge numbers of netopia users out there, most of whom are technically illiterate, yet questions about netopias aren't significantly more prominent than questions about Linksys, NetGear, D-Link, Belkin and ZyXel routers.

You know screw it, couldn't be bothered answering anymore of your agressive over bearing know it all posts, thank god for ignore lists.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Well you're the one who is making judgements about kit you haven't used, drawing logically questionable assumptions from what you see on this forum.

*Of course* you see a huge amount of posts about configuring netopias. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of broadband users in ireland had netopia routers.

At least try to use a Netopia router once before you imply we're all negligent for letting other people use them / using them ourselves. What do you use pray-tell ? 1000 quid Cisco gear to route your 3 meg DSL line ?

Please, put away the "Big corporations are evil, anything they supply must be crap" ideology. You're the one flaunting Microsoft skills in your sig.

Am I ooops yeah there it is, how the hack did that aweful thing get in there???

And just for the record, I have had the unfourtunate pleasure of having to config a netopia, it was crazy the way they have the interface setup, done so much better in Linksys, Netgear and dare I say it Belkin routers that if they cleaned that up problems would decrease exponentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Foxwood wrote:
    No, you don't need to set up a static IP.

Unless you have a couple of dozen machines on your LAN, and you often leave your machine turned off for weeks at a time, your machine will get the same DHCP address every time it asks. It will be, for all intents and purposes, static.

Yes I do have to set up a static ip, when I click on obtain ip automatically then try to connect to emule I get a lowid. When I tell it to use the following ip then I get a high id. So I need to tell it to use a certain ip

colly10 wrote:
    Yes I do have to set up a static ip, when I click on obtain ip automatically then try to connect to emule I get a lowid. When I tell it to use the following ip then I get a high id. So I need to tell it to use a certain ip
    And you don't need to set a static IP to tell it to use a certain IP. Just tell it to use whatever IP you've got today, and there's a pretty good chance that you'll have the same IP address for the forseeable future. Has your "dynamic IP" ever changed?

It only takes about 10 seconds to set a static IP, but it clearly is too hard for some people. So just skip that part, and tell emule to use whatever IP address you've got (though it must have become pretty retarded in the 4 years since I used it, because it used to be able to fgure that stuff out itself). If at an time if the future you notice that you've got a lowID again, just tell emule about your new address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

You know screw it, couldn't be bothered answering anymore of your agressive over bearing know it all posts, thank god for ignore lists.

Christ! Talk about handbags at dawn. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah I know. Someone tries to correct you when you're wrong and it's ignore list time.

Advertisement