Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP 7900GTX Problem

Options
  • 11-07-2006 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

I hope mods dont mind! I know it s graphics issue but I always get good answers here!

~Anyway I'm getting tearing in some games BF2 etc and sometimes reboots mid game....... with this Evga 7900GTX and I'm wonderinf if I should RMA it? never RMA'd an item before and to the US its sucks!! what usually happens with RMA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hmmm...as i understand it tearing is not exactly a function of your graphics card but of your monitor. I think most LCDs have a 'refresh rate' (though, not an actual refresh rate per say) of 60 Hz, so it may be that your graphics card is attempting to redraw a frame as the monitor is refreshing the image.

I am, however, not an AV expert. I was experiencing tearing on Half life 2, turned on v-sync, thus capping my frame rate, but i think 60 fps is more than adequate, higher than that and its more a psychological effect. Now playing a game at 20 fps, thats a different kettle o fish....

Hope you get some better answer anyway, just my two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Why dont u try out the card in another rig? & DirkVoodoo is correct about the visual tearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ya m8 try it in your other rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I will ! kinda annoying for an items so expensive!

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

use driver removal utility then install latest drivers, if still same problem, try in different rig, is still same - rma

• Advertisement

used driver cleaner, reinstalled and seems to be ok for the moment! however my chipset was red hot lst night ! strange never seen it above 40 before.........

might ease off on the OC for a bit !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Have you monitored your chipset temps when playing games? The 7900GTX generates alot of heat, it was causing my chipset to overheat and crash during games when i first had mine installed.

You should try to pin-point the problem by monitoring temps, to see if its the chipset and trying the card in a different comp, to see if you do have a faulty card.

I resolved my overheating issues by installing a 120mm fan over chipset and the back of my card i would also recommend looking for alternative chipset coolers instead of using the stock one. Also watercooling could be a good solution.

Optikus wrote:
    Have you monitored your chipset temps when playing games? The 7900GTX generates alot of heat, it was causing my chipset to overheat and crash during games when i first had mine installed.

You should try to pin-point the problem by monitoring temps, to see if its the chipset and trying the card in a different comp, to see if you do have a faulty card.

I resolved my overheating issues by installing a 120mm fan over chipset and the back of my card i would also recommend looking for alternative chipset coolers instead of using the stock one. Also watercooling could be a good solution.

yup, the Asus A8N32 Sli has cooper heatipipe system! hard to take off...... the 120mm fan is an option, I'll give it a go.........

whats hott for a chipset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

awhir wrote:

Smoke and red glowing........

kdjac

• Advertisement

what temp i ment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

awhir wrote:

A nF5 in a thong, accompanied by two scantly-clad Japanese models.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

In regards to the tearing I think thats your moniter not being able to keep up with the output from the graphics card. What kind of moniter do you have?

Try to enable vsync and see if that helps.

he has a 2ms veiwsonic or somthing like that so i dont think that could be tearing lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

awhir wrote:
    he has a 2ms veiwsonic or somthing like that so i dont think that could be tearing lol.

Should have read his sig :o

Still enabling vsync might be worth trying just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

dent wrote:
    Should have read his sig :o

Still enabling vsync might be worth trying just in case.
    vsinc is the first stop to stop tearing and most times the last :D

yup I'll give it a go later!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

I have the exact same card and have no problems with it its probably the lcd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

awhir wrote:

Is the viewsonic time grey-to grey? Does anyone have any independent tests of this monitor which might give an accurate reponse time?

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Is the viewsonic time grey-to grey? Does anyone have any independent tests of this monitor which might give an accurate reponse time?

do you not find yours good ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

DirkVoodoo wrote:

Review Starts on:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2006/03/27/the_spring_2006_lcd_collection_uk/page33.html

Latency:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2006/03/27/the_spring_2006_lcd_collection_uk/page35.html

latency_vx922.jpg

"The latency logged 10 ms in the worst case. That's well below anything we've tested up to now. So logically, this monitor will now replace the VP191b as reference monitor for our future Tom's Hardware Guide tests."

"Since we didn't record any overshoot, this monitor should resolve a lot of the complaints from gamers who are unhappy with their 4- and 6-ms monitors. On displays with which the overdrive is poorly controlled, some people can see visual artefacts in FPS games during lateral movements. A halo of colour appears temporarily around the moving object. This phenomenon is due to the overdrive technology used on this type of monitor. In the worst cases, the colour displayed is not the right one for 3 whole frames, which can be visible in the form of unwanted colours. (If you have this problem, one trick that works fairly well is to increase your display's refresh rate to 70 Hz instead of 60 Hz.)"

"Games are really this monitor's home turf. It's incredibly fast, and no chromatic aberrations appear during movement - this is really the Rolls-Royce of gamers' LCD displays."

Advertisement