Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springer Spaniel goes mental in presence of a cat =x

Options
  • 11-07-2006 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

Got a Springer [2 years old] last week [Friend gave it to me since he was moving away outside the country]. He's fairly good now, except when it comes to cats - he just goes mental!! >_<;

I live in the countryside, and own 3 cats who're free to roam around - so this would be a problem. I've tried to acquiant [sp?] him to the cats, but he just tries to chase them in an 'aggressive' way - though he was on a leash.

I've got 2 other dogs, and others in the past who had no problems with other animals [My previous Springer was somewhat Maternal with one of the cats even though he was a male :D ] since I had them all as puppies which grew up with the cats.

So I'm somewhat unsure on how to sort this - any advise would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I dont know but it might be too late for him to get acquainted with the cats. Maybe every once in a while, have him on a leash and sitting by your side while watching your other dogs with the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Keep them carefully separated. Only let him see the cats when you have him under control (lead / hand at collar). At the first sign of him showing ANY interest, tell him NO! and lead him away.

Maybe it will sink in over time ...might be a very long time, so be prepared.

We got a supposedly cat friendly rescue who turned out to be a cat killer (wannabe). After three years now he just about tolerates the cats, we still keep them mostly separated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Cats are usually clever enough to know what dogs to stay away from, we have a 10yr old cat who, until she was 6ys old slept with our two doberman dogs, 4yrs ago I got a 3yr old dobie rescue who hates cats n tried to attack our mogggie every chance she got, Cathy (de cat) soon learned to keep away but will tease the dog if I'm there with her 'cos she knows I won't let the dog get to her. just make sure your dog is never left alone with the cats in a confined space where the cat has no escape route, things should settle down after a while. Good luck.

Advertisement