Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot locking wheel nut key

Options
  • 11-07-2006 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

bought a peugeot about 2 weeks ago, went to look for the locking nut key tonight and its not there. Is it easy enough to go into a dealership and buy a key?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you have the cars VIN number they can order one for you I expect.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

ah cool. Wonder would i need to go to the garage it was bought from, I'll find out tomorrow I guess. Got a card in with the service history that should have the key code on it but its blank :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

you might actually be lucky, but when I put locking nuts on my 206 GTI the dealer said that I need to be careful not to lose the locking nut key. If I do, a whole new set needs to be ordered and the old ones drilled out or something serious like that.

It's probably not that serious, so here's hoping it's not!

hmm I hope not, they don't look like a great design so if needs be I could probably get them off with a socket hammered onto them and replace them with mcgard ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mloc123 wrote:
    hmm I hope not, they don't look like a great design so if needs be I could probably get them off with a socket hammered onto them and replace them with mcgard ones.

Are they original Peugeot locking nuts or aftermarket ones?

If originals then the garage where you bought the car should be able to get a key from Peugeot using the chassis number.

If they are not original locking nuts then it becomes more tricky.

Alternatively it might be a good idea to trace the previous owner who might still have the key. Even check around the spare wheel, jack, tool kit, etc, you would be surprised where some people might keep the key handy.

• Advertisement

They are original Peugeot ones which makes me think they should be able to order them. I have checked all pockets, storage comparments and in the spare wheel under the car with the jack and had no luck.

I was thinking about looking up the original owner if all doesn't go well in the dealership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Andy_R

I had a new 307 and the dealer didn't supply me with a key for the locknuts. When I realised they had to remove them with a hammer and chisel!! No damage done but a bit of a pain.

the thing is, with earlier 206 GTI's, the alloys didn't come with any locking nuts. Don't know if that's the case now, but with mine, I had to buy a set of locking nuts especially, so this would mean the chassis number would not be linked to your locking nuts. Every set of locking nuts would be slightly different from Peugeot so I doubt the dealer would have any way of finding out which key suits your nuts. Actually, I doubt you can buy just the key.

I'd contact the last owner and find out about it. The dealer should foot the bill too....

Stopped in the dealership in Liffey Valley on the way to work and..... they don't have a parts department ffs.

I may just drill them at the weekend, it would probably be cheaper, easier and quicker.

call in to another dealer.....they can still help you....

• Advertisement

yeah I will, gonna try bluebell tomorrow morning...was where the car was bought new too.

update on this, I phoned bluebell and they said they can't order in a key without the code. He said even If I had a code the key is about €60-70 and takes 3 weeks to get in. He said they can break them off in about half an hour so it'd cost €70 for the nuts to be broken off and replaced with new ones, not bad I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 106GTi

Get a socket and hammer it on over the locknut and remove, you might have a destroyed socket at the end of it but it'll work out cheaper than €70

or you might try one of these
    http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/sealey/product.php?product=26738&source=froogle

Advertisement