Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World

Options
  • 11-07-2006 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Any thoughts on this? i bought a "philips" printer/fax/photocopier in pcworld last november. On the day i bought, the sales assistant told me this was a great machine - not. it took me two XP re-intalls on different machines to get working and a lot of heartache.
    This is not a philips machine - its a sagem apparantly. i left it alone because i wanted a basic photocopier and fax - 2-3 times a week.
    I went into PCworld last week to get ink for the printer, to be told that the line had been recalled to headoffice, when i asked where was i to get ink, i was told to go to one of the spurious suppliers, all such suppliers in limerick have never heard of the printer. let alone ink.
    I've sent two emails to pcworld without reply.
    Any Thoughts?

printer - philips crystal 650

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have a look here

If you are after ink cartridges there are plenty to be had but you will have to trawl through the sites to see who will deliver to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lyencoli

thanks for the reply, but i'm wondering if this is a consumer issue. Can a retailer sell a printer and then just stop selling the ink? 8 months after purchase? they had contact details for me, they could have let me know the line was being removed.
    Has anyone had this problem an resolved it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

lyencoli wrote:
    Can a retailer sell a printer and then just stop selling the ink?
    Sure they can. Its the retailers perogative as to what they stock. They're under no obligation to advise you that they were discontinuing it either.

Have to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

lyencoli wrote:
    thanks for the reply, but i'm wondering if this is a consumer issue. Can a retailer sell a printer and then just stop selling the ink? 8 months after purchase? they had contact details for me, they could have let me know the line was being removed.
    Has anyone had this problem an resolved it?

Why would any retailer keep a database of who bought what and keep them updated in the slight chance that they may come back 9 months later and buy a 20 quid lump of ink, when there is 100's of alternative suppliers.

If the manufactor decides to discontinue a line of products why should the retailer be responsible. Alot of 'technology' vendors do not offer detailed road maps of their products so they tend to hear of discontinued lines at the same time the info is available to the public.

To be honest if I was buying an Inkjet machine I would be buying it based on the price of the inks rather than just what is in the shop, they can vary massivly by brand to brand .. some lexmark basic inkjets would be cheaper to buy a new printer than new inks (this isn't a lie!! )

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

PC world are a complete disaster. The foreign staff do their best but many have poor english, and the irish staff i've come across (usually on checkouts) are rude and disinterested.

I will never shop in that store again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wanderer222

Red Alert wrote:
    PC world are a complete disaster. The foreign staff do their best but many have poor english, and the irish staff i've come across (usually on checkouts) are rude and disinterested.

I will never shop in that store again.
    Yes this was my experience exactly. They must not realise there are many competing computer shops out there more than happy to lend a willing hand...

Being a small bit hopeful wanting this kind os service i suppose. In answer to previous post regarding loads of different suppliers of ink etc., there isnt. you cant get spurious ink for this 'printer' because there is a smart card that comes with each new ink. I'm sure that with enough research i could get around it, but its not worth it for this piece of s>*t.
    I will know better than to buy from PCworld again - their loss.
    i think i'll just get the fax/photocopier addon for the color konica i have, costs a bit more but at least they'll be around for a while and have a website for their products.

Thanks for opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ipso_facto

Hi
    At least they have e-mail address...to contact, stay well clear of Dixons, they hard sell , cover insurance

Dixons in Ireland - still no website ..?
    No. for PC complaints in Eire ? please

Ipso_facto wrote:
    stay well clear of Dixons, they hard sell , cover insurance
    Is that the only reason why people should stay away from Dixons........I would have thought that people know how to say NO THANKYOU

Have to say your very first post hasn't contributed much and then you want someone to give you a phone no. to complain

• Advertisement

It would bet, a good percentage of buyers, give in to the "hard sell" of their, Cover protection etc....muffler . Now that you ask !

Phone No. of - PC complaint's - Dixons ??

Still waiting for their - website in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭apprentice

HA ha like they care about a bloody ink cartridge sale,or even one customer for that matter.yeah they will really notice a loss in profits now cause your not shopping there....for gods sake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Ipso_facto wrote:
    It would bet, a good percentage of buyers, give in to the "hard sell" of their, Cover protection etc....muffler . Now that you ask !

Phone No. of - PC complaint's - Dixons ??

Still waiting for their - website in Ireland.

http://www.pcworld.ie/

Hi John R.

I was trying to complain to - Dixons about the - Advent laptop - i bought not the other Co. mentioned. ( phone no. is usually busy, and it would be good to have a record of complaint..etc) hence e-mail address for - PC complaints... dixons.

They should have a e-mail contact by now...still no website in Ireland. The U.K site gave me an Phone no. in England..?
    Thanks anyway.

HA ha like they care about a bloody ink cartridge sale,or even one customer for that matter.yeah they will really notice a loss in profits now cause your not shopping there....for gods sake

Surely that is what forums like this are for? People sharing experiences so their effect can be more than their total?
    FYI = its not just ink I would be buying from PCWorld, I spent €7000 there in 2005, and was still treated this way, thats why i said they had my details.

Maybe you show try contributing something as opposed to laying into other
    peoples views? DH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Why don't you just use ink cartridge refiller packs, they do actually work and they can be bought practically anywhere and can be used in practically any ink cartridge. They're cheap in comparison to cartridge replacements too.

apprentice wrote:

Apprentice by name and nature. It appears that all of the above is directly attributed to you but the first sentance is actually you quoting someone else. You definitely need to use the quote button or tags otherwise nobody is going to know who said what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭apprentice

ha ha cheers...

and with regards to the advent laptop(suprise suprise its faulty??) "buy cheap, buy twice"

• Registered Users Posts: 34 moloneyg

Hi all,

I went into one of these stores asking about what hard disks were available, and 3 sales people didn't know what IDE Disks ment, kept telling me they don't sell them, so I asked if they sold SATA disks and they said no they only sell Western Digital. ..... I didn't buy....

I have bought off a few of the many internet sales sites, never had an issue, and you can always google the answers you need. So forget the expensive computer stores with the uninterested staff. spend elsewhere and you get the service you require.

PS I have always gotten very helpful, and informed answers from peats, the staff are Knowledgeable, helpful and friendly.

Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

PC World/Currys/Dixons = DG Retail afaik

All equally as awful.

• Advertisement

Why don't you just use ink cartridge refiller packs, they do actually work and they can be bought practically anywhere and can be used in practically any ink cartridge. They're cheap in comparison to cartridge replacements too.

This is probably the most annonying thing in relation to this printer. Each new cartridge comes with a smart card, so you cant just top up old cartridges. mores the pity.
    i have used these top up inks on other printers and they have worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Savman wrote:
    PC World/Currys/Dixons = DG Retail afaik

All equally as awful.

Well said. None of the staff are trained at all. I worked in a PC World for years and the lack of training amongst staff was shocking.

I remember as a sales person I watched some videos on my first day (all about staff theft, lifting boxes but none about product knowledge) and was then dumped on the floor to sell.

No product knowledge training whatsoever. There are some good staff in the place but they are very much in the minority.

Having worked there, I always go to Cantec. DSG are interested in one thing and it isn't their customers: PROFIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

just a few things

1. If you are going to work in PC World, know at least some English
    2. If you are going to work in PC World, know at least something about computers
    3. If you are going to work in PC World, stop constantly asking people "Can I help you" for commission purposes (yes once is enough but several times by different people)
    4. If you are going to work in PC World, do not sell the wrong charger with a laptop.

Jakkass wrote:
    just a few things

1. If you are going to work in PC World, know at least some English
    2. If you are going to work in PC World, know at least something about computers
    3. If you are going to work in PC World, stop constantly asking people "Can I help you" for commission purposes (yes once is enough but several times by different people)
    4. If you are going to work in PC World, do not sell the wrong charger with a laptop.

In all fairness, it's up to the company to check those things. Alot of people want jobs and will just take one anywhere for at least a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lemlin wrote:
    I remember as a sales person I watched some videos on my first day (all about staff theft, lifting boxes but none about product knowledge) and was then dumped on the floor to sell.
    Didn't they lock you in a room for 2 weeks with speakers constantly blaring "SELL INSURANCE SELL INSURANCE SELL INSURANCE SELL INSURANCE" ? :D

Seems to me that's the only thing DSG staff are interested in.

3 years ago we bought a small freezer in Currys, got so much hassle over the insurance I almost walked out. Eventually they 'agreed' to let us buy it without. The freezer owes us nothing at this stage and chances are it'll be going strong for years to come.

A couple of years before that, I went into a PC World to look at an advertised special offer, but they didn't want to sell me that one, they wanted to convince me that a clearly inferior PC was actually better. I walked away.

I will never, ever buy anything off DSG again and will continue to tell everyone I know to do likewise!

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Parsons

Yes, the training in PC world is not up to the mark. All they emphasise is, sell cover plans and insurance. During my training, I queried whether knowledge of pc hardware would be advantageous in selling and my trainer's response was emphatically 'No'. I quit the job as soon as my training was over.

My experience with Dixons in Tallaght was equally disgusting. The salesgirl just didn't know how to switch on the pc. Their utter lack of customer support will definitely bring them down unless they understand customer sensibilities.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

heh, i worked in pc world too. we had a few reps come in fom companies and train us about certain products, epson, hp, creative & toshiba. i liked toshiba training best cause they gave us cool pens! proves how much tech training we got!

otherwise it was all about fecking coverplan and the 7 attachments you are meant to sell with every pc. i left shortly after

ninja900 wrote:
    Didn't they lock you in a room for 2 weeks with speakers constantly blaring "SELL INSURANCE SELL INSURANCE SELL INSURANCE SELL INSURANCE" ? :D

Seems to me that's the only thing DSG staff are interested in.

3 years ago we bought a small freezer in Currys, got so much hassle over the insurance I almost walked out. Eventually they 'agreed' to let us buy it without. The freezer owes us nothing at this stage and chances are it'll be going strong for years to come.

A couple of years before that, I went into a PC World to look at an advertised special offer, but they didn't want to sell me that one, they wanted to convince me that a clearly inferior PC was actually better. I walked away.

I will never, ever buy anything off DSG again and will continue to tell everyone I know to do likewise!

I'd explain it but not hard sell it. If someone said I'm not interested in that, I just wouldn't bother them with it. Alot of the staff do hard sell it though because they get bonuses for selling it.

Just say "no" firmly from the start and they should drop it. What surprised me is that some people do actually ask for it!

And here's a good little trick for ya: if they start selling it, ask them when was the last time they bought it on a product. I've never met an entire DSG staff member, in all my years there, who bought Coverplan on anything other than a portable MP3 player.

Advertisement