Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 3347WG from Eircom - Please help

• 11-07-2006 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi. I need to know how to upgrade Netopia 3347WG to oryginal firmware from Netopia and how to use is as Wireless Network Card. I try to upgrade firmware but it doesn't work (always in telnet command it write: Invalid file but the file is good). Please for help. Thank's. Bye

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Whats wrong with the firmware thats on it at the moment?

For the wireless you can just connect to it in IE - using the ip of the router and there is a big link "Wireless" and all you do is press Enable.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sahar2006

Can I use it as Wireless Network Card to connect to another Access Point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

sahar2006 wrote:
    Can I use it as Wireless Network Card to connect to another Access Point
    No. It won't "log in" to another access point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Foxwood: Would it work in bridging mode with another access point?

I tried to bridge it with a Netgear router before and failed miserably, not a hint of activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Foxwood: Would it work in bridging mode with another access point?

I tried to bridge it with a Netgear router before and failed miserably, not a hint of activity.
    No - a wireless router won't connect to another wireless router. It doesn't have a "wireless client" to send the WEP/WPA authentication information to "login in" to the other router.

Bridging mode on an ADSL gateway "bridges" the ADSL signal on the WAN port on a LAN port (I'm not sure that you can even use the Wireless ports if you set the 3347WG into bridged mode - there's only one IP address avaiable in bridged mode, so it shouldn't support multipe connections.

A "Wireless bridge" like the DWL-G810 or the Linksys WET54G allows a device with an ethernet port to connect to a wireless LAN, but the device is has the client smarts it needs to connect - a wireless router has the server smarts to accept such connections.

(I'm open to correction on this, but I'm pretty sure that what I've described above is correct).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Foxwood wrote:
    (I'm open to correction on this, but I'm pretty sure that what I've described above is correct).
    Sounds right to me. Placing a dsl modem into bridge mode effectively just makes it a pass through device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

There is another type of wireless bridging mode, where access points connect to each other. It's usually recommended that they're the exact same model though. Sometimes called WDS (wireless distribution system)

Advertisement