Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site review Please

Options
  • 11-07-2006 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

Hey

Ok just got this together using DW8 dont know much so nothing to flashy

Can I get the reviews from all you guys and girls who would know more about it than me

One of the links does not work,Arsenal Pics, still working on that

Thanks

Irish Gunners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

it's coming along nicely now. Well done.

I'd be cautious about mixing so many different greens on your rollovers for your text links. There are too many confilicting colours. Also i think the banner is a bit too intense, maybe if you scale it down a bit and give it a bit more of a border to maneuver within.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The ads, though, the ads.

The banner graphic needs work, like Rollo says. The aspect ratio of the background crest (top right) looks wrong.

Using blue for some regular text and some anchored text, is a bit confusing.

The aspect of a lot of the profile images (Arsenal & Green) looks wrong too.

I'd be interested in hearnig what the publishing restrictions are for fixtures in the public domain. Did you get approached by Arsenal/agent about it?

More emphasis on the content for Irish users (your efforts) rather than aggregated news might be no harm.

I still don't know how you can expect to be taken seriously with the index page of ads, but I presume you've thought about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cheers

Thanks for that

Will work on scaling down the header. Used photoshop, again just trial and error. Put the 3 images together and then used the highlight/brightness tool to make them look faded. So I should maybe put a border around it and change the width and height ?

May change the text so the rollover is the same colour as the links page or maybe red

What do you mean by The aspect of a lot of the profile images (Arsenal & Green) looks wrong too

The news is just for collating information we use the message board for irish users. Was thinking of putting up an irish blog page done by myself but dont have the time

Yeah got an email from the FA sent to me and my ISP that we cannot publish the fixtures unless we pay for them so had to take them down

The Ads thats a sore point. We recoup 'some' of the hosting money with users booking hotels on the site etc. This is what my partner in crime tells me.
    That is why there are Adds on the opening page. He has to change it
    The url www.irishgunners.com is re-directed to this page but I can change that

Thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

By aspect ratio looking wrong, I mean that they're "squished"! That is, in resizing the image, you reduced more of the hieght than you did of the width. Generally, for people at least, you'd reduce both height & width by the same ratio. It's like watching sport in a pub where they stretch the picture to widescreen (even though the source is not in widescreen).

Interesting about the FA contact. Presumably the fixtures are not in the public domain then, because if they are then you can reproduce them (not copy the layout of the site). Given that most papers / media outlets publish them, I'd assumed they were in the public domain.

My 2c on the ads .. loose them. Get your 130+ members to chip in 50cent (or half of em to chip in a quid) and you've a years hosting paid for.

.cg

Cheers

Will try to re-size them

Think I resized them in Dreamweaver rather than in Photoshop thus the squashiness

Think in Photoshop when you change the width it automatically adjusts the height and vice versa

Agree with you on the adds. With our membership fee. We may use some of this to pay for half the hosting
    cost and the cost of the domain registration of irishgunners

Have to check with the committee

Then I can redirect the page

One thing

If I want to re-direct the irishgunners url to http://www.irishgunners.com/arsenal/index.htm
    but I don't want the /arsenal/index to come up in the address bar

The same goes when a user navigates around the site just want the irishgunners.com address to appear in the address bar

Is this possible ? Do I need a JavaScript or something similar ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

One thing

If I want to re-direct the irishgunners url to http://www.irishgunners.com/arsenal/index.htm
    but I don't want the /arsenal/index to come up in the address bar

The same goes when a user navigates around the site just want the irishgunners.com address to appear in the address bar

Is this possible ? Do I need a JavaScript or something similar ?

Thanks

You do that by encasing the entire site in a frame - which personally is a bad idea as any time someone goes to bookmark a page or whatever, they will only be able to bookmark the frame page

My 2 cents on your adverts.
    Loose them altogether and don't charge your members for a subscription to a service which is been offered for free practically every where else. There is nothing exclusive on your site that would make me want to pay for the service anyway.

How much is your hosting? It can't be that expensive to merit 5,000 adverts on your homepage. Bear the price of the hosting until you sort out your design at least and then maybe introduce a single banner in your site and in your forum. You can mods for phpbb to get a banner system into phpbb fairly easily.

Also, if your main content is coming from the forum then you should get an RSS feature that takes your latest post titles from your forum and places them on your site similar to the setup you currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Re: The fixtures. I've been reading on slashdot or techdirt that the American statistics for baseball have been (or are in the process of being) copyrighted. Which means that any statistics can not be used without their permission. Therefore fantasy baseball websites are being contacted and asked to cease and desist. An unbelievably ott stance imo.

Maybe this is a similar thing?

Also, if your main content is coming from the forum then you should get an RSS feature that takes your latest post titles from your forum and places them on your site similar to the setup you currently have.

so there is a way of getting an rss feed onto the main page. so when a new post appears it comes up ?

might check the phbb help page and see but any ideas or can you point me in the right direction

Ta

there should be a mod for it.
    do a search or ask on the phpbb forums

• Advertisement
Advertisement