Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with eircom broadband, possibly PPPoE

• 12-07-2006 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

my eircom broadband connection is terribly slow as of late. sometimes it times out when connecting to sites i know are up and there. i mailed eircom and they think its a PPPoE problem. i work a lot and am generally not around to call them during their open hours. can anyone advise on what to do?

my connection is via wiress netopia router. there is another pc on the router, not wireless though, and that has never caused a problem before. any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

fguihen wrote:
    my connection is via wiress netopia router. there is another pc on the router, not wireless though, and that has never caused a problem before. any ideas?
    Can the wired PC connect to the sites that the wireless PC is having problems with? Or are both PCs having the same problem?

If they are both exhibiting the same problem, then it's a problem with your broadband connection. If only the wireless PC is exhibiting the problem, then it's a wireless problem, and there is nothing wrong with your broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

the wired pc has the same problem. i doubt its the wireless, as im in the next room to the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

fguihen wrote:
    the wired pc has the same problem. i doubt its the wireless, as im in the next room to the router.
    If both PCs are having the same problem, it's obviously not a wireless problem. But when you're trying to pin a problem down, it's always a good idea to remove potential problem sources, so verifying that a wired connection exhibits the same probem is always important. If two independent units display the same problem, then it's logical to assume that the problem is "upstream".

It's unlikely to be a PPPoE problem, because if it was, you wouldn't be able to get to anything at all. But you should be able to check if there are PPPoE problems by logging into the router and checking the System Log (Expert Mode/System Status).

Beyond that, there are a range of reasons why your connection might be slowing down, ranging from a deteriorating line condition (which should be diagnosable from by the router) to a problem at your echange, or even a virus on one of the PCs at your home. It's also worth verifying that nobody is hijacking your wireless connection (though that's probably not the problem).

Netopia provides some documentation on steps to follow for troubleshooting ADSL connection problems.

Advertisement